·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Pete Rock said:
DaveS said:
When can we all come over to say stay! :mrgreen:
:shock:

DaveS said:
You lucky person you..... having an AT and being in Portugal. Its just too much.
It´s a Transalp, and they managed to burn my favourite riding area when I was on holiday :cry: it´s not all it´s cracked up to be
ok, well come over and enjoy the sun, you can come to the UK and marvel at the water that falls from the sky without the need for Helicopters :lol:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Hello everybody, I made a brief appearance elsewhere asking about saddle heights. I currently ride a Yam Fazer, but I'm trying to swap it for a 99 TA.

I see that several people on here do scuba diving...I'm a BSAC Dive Leader - We could organise a wicked seaside rideout and dive (or then again if this group is half as apathetic as the Fazer group, probably not :roll: )

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the intellect and razor sharp wit of this group. :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi! happy to be here
new member from poland, at the moment in london, bought my first transalp 8 months ago (£4700 04 bike 0 miles, topbox, tall screen, alarm), done 25k miles in last 5 months, few minor mods (bars, guards), i'm off to poland in december will see how it copes with snow and ice :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
25k miles in five months??!! How on earth do you manage that?

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
lootch67 said:
25k miles in five months??!! How on earth do you manage that?
And the whole morning I was convincing myself the 17000 I did in 16 months was alot :shock:

·
Registered
30 Posts
simple! :)
2 trips uk to poland and monday to friday as a bike courier, 5 months = 6x oil & filter, 3x air filter, 2x chain and sprockets (need new one soon), 1x output shaft i think (english no good sorry) 2x light bulb front, 1x light bulb tail, 2x light bulb (one that's enlightening fuel gauge and speedo), 1x fuse, 16x spark plugs (new soon), 1x clutch lever, 2x front brake lever, 2x front tyre, 3x rear tyre (new soon), sometimes i think its not worth it :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noob seeks advise

Bought the bike,advice needed please> xl 250

I found this site via Google, I have been looking for Rupps or Boats on Salisbury Plain
I have been road racing for twenty years or so but interest has finally dwindled.

Green laning/trial riding !!! yep I thought I would give it a go

First reason
1. Im far too fat ! I have heard this will be good exercise
2. It was bloody cheap !
3. I am a very social type, would love to go on rides with others.

So :She is a old 1988 bike, 95% complete (e-bay) bargain so im not worried if she gets a beating ! ( I do tend to fall off more than most ).

Has anyone owned one ?? what are you oppinions on them ?.

I live in Bournemouth, is there anyone in Dorset that would like to join me on a trip along Salisbury Plain (or anywhere else !)

Do you know of any other routes in this area , would you like to share the info ?

I would also like to travel a little further >>>Wales // Would this be too tiring for a un-fit noob.

Off road schools (Dorset) Any reccomendations ?

Any advice welcome, Cheers

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Von Short Hausen said:
Hello everybody, I made a brief appearance elsewhere asking about saddle heights. I currently ride a Yam Fazer, but I'm trying to swap it for a 99 TA.

I see that several people on here do scuba diving...I'm a BSAC Dive Leader - We could organise a wicked seaside rideout and dive (or then again if this group is half as apathetic as the Fazer group, probably not :roll: )

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the intellect and razor sharp wit of this group. :wink:
Excellent stuff. Well, im mad enough to be continuing to dive right through the winter this year in my trusty 14mm Semi Dry.
Last year, at Vobster Quay, I surfaced from a 40 minute dive to be greated by a snow storm and the owners axiously waiting for me and my buddy to surface so they could shut up shop and go home !!!

Dont recommend trying to get all the diving gear on an AT though (tried it and failed). Im a BSAC Sports Diver WooHoo :colors:

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Re: Noob seeks advise

HOOKY said:
I live in Bournemouth, is there anyone in Dorset that would like to join me on a trip along Salisbury Plain (or anywhere else !)

Do you know of any other routes in this area , would you like to share the info ?
Welcome to the board Hooky, keep an eye on the rideout/meeting section of the forum there is a fair few going out to the plains from time to time. We just done a good 6-70 miles last Sunday and some pics here

More than welcome on any bike and you would probably be better off with something lighter and easier to pick up :mrgreen: Don't know about the fitness part of it although I was pretty knackered monday morning but still on the heavier side than should be :shock:

·
Registered
29 Posts
nearly nearly nearly

I'm picking up my new XRV 750 sometime this week .... :)

I've drooled for years ... 10 years of riding CX500s :)

I could almost cry (Thank you Mr BankManager - I suck your lolly for you long time)

The paint job is like the bike on this site ...

http://www.twin-biker.de/images/1_africa twin/XRV fertig.jpg

Anyhow, I'm going to let the dog out ... then look for more piccies, don't think I'll sleep tonight :)

PyroGyro

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Pyro,

Nice bike, everyone knows the black ones are best!

It looks like you've got BMUU GS handguards, do they fit well?

Cheers
-Simon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Slimie said:
Pyro,

Nice bike, everyone knows the black ones are best!

It looks like you've got BMUU GS handguards, do they fit well?

Cheers
-Simon
Simon;

I take it you have a black one too, I'm afraid I spoil the look by wearing a reflective jacket ..

The bike isn't quite mine yet (still sorting finance) and I've not ridden it yet but I've sat on it and the handlebars seem ok. It also has heated grips - dead posh eh ? I always used muffler thingies and good gloves - so this will be luxury.

Question for all :
I've had CX's for the past 10 years so I'm wondering about fitting/converting some nice chrome cx crash bars onto an XRV... silly ?

I'm going to be strapped for cash with this loan so I'm looking at doing things on the cheap..

PyroGyro

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Dee Duble Yuh

Just a brief intro. I bought a Varadero 1000 just over a week ago and I'm enjoying every minute! Looking forward to the better weather when I can do some longer trips.

I've been riding for about 25 years, having worked my way up from a Yamaha DT 175, through Honda CB250N, Kawasaki GT550 (big mistake), Honda CB500, Honda VFR800, BMW R1150RS (bigger mistake), and now the Vara.

Really envious of your rides on Salisbury Plains rides. Beginning to wish I had an Africa Twin too. How about organising an "easy" ride for novices and Vara owners in summer 2006? Can you find a route that avoids tricky obstacles? I'd rather come back wanting more than wreck my new bike!!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Re: Dee Duble Yuh

Dee Duble Yuh said:
Really envious of your rides on Salisbury Plains rides. Beginning to wish I had an Africa Twin too. How about organising an "easy" ride for novices and Vara owners in summer 2006? Can you find a route that avoids tricky obstacles? I'd rather come back wanting more than wreck my new bike!!
Welcome mate.
It is possible to do some less taxing riding over the plain if a route is chosen that has the gravelled road and tracked track side by side. You can then take the gravelled road whilst those that want to plough on through the dirt.
Having said that I don't think that there's much that we did on the last jaunt that a Varadero couldn't have coped with. Perhaps the diversion through the wood might have been a little too much. For that you really need knobblies on. Although Chad managed ok and he was on fairly standard tyres.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds fun,
I legally off-road in S.Wales using RUPPS,UCR'S etc. on a DRZ400(sorry :roll: ),but Alun Michaels (the natzi rambling minister) :pukeleft: new bill has gone through parliament now looking like all RUPPS will be downgraded to Bridalway status, so you've got limited time to offroad legally on anything except BOATS!(Byways Open To All Traffic) :cry:

Of course you could buy a pushbike,a horse, or a 1000 acre estate!

Anyone interested in a DRZ ?:oops: (sorry)

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Plenty of BOATS on Salisbury Plain come and join us there on the next visit.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Radio-active said:
Of course you could buy a pushbike,a horse, or a 1000 acre estate!
The first and last option here would be Ok, but the next thing in the Ramblers sights is the Bridleways, not so many of those left either!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Post us when your going out, long way for the DRZ! :roll: so I will have to consider gettin the @ muddy :?

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Re: nearly nearly nearly

Although I've already done a "Hi" thread already (typical nubie! :roll: ), I might as well register here anyway. I'll post a pic of the bike as soon as I get a chance.

PyroGyro said:
I'm picking up my new XRV 750 sometime this week .... :)

I've drooled for years ... 10 years of riding CX500s :)

I could almost cry (Thank you Mr BankManager - I suck your lolly for you long time)

The paint job is like the bike on this site ...

http://www.twin-biker.de/images/1_africa twin/XRV fertig.jpg

Anyhow, I'm going to let the dog out ... then look for more piccies, don't think I'll sleep tonight :)

PyroGyro
I-wanted-a-black-one! :cry:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi! Just noticed this tread.. a little late, but.
Some of you guys already know me. Few of you from chat. I made my first appearance in "let us see your bike". Second was a short photo report from Corsica.
Im from Slovenia and beside my land, Im pretty familliar with Italy (especialy the Dolomites), Croatia (coast) and south Austria. So if you need any infos... :)
Im season rider, couse winters are to cold and icy here. As I already said, I have RD 07, '99, white @
Q.: Why r u guys so uninterested in chat?

21 - 40 of 1694 Posts