Honda XRV Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1693 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
welcome along Ian its sad to hear about the factory's closing their doors I presume its because of the big shift towards Korean cars these days ? I used to own a 1975 cd 175 myself for a couple of years a long time ago great old thing it was I sat on one a couple of years ago my how they shrunk :lol:
Thanks Alias! Mine was very old, I can't remember what year but I had it in 79 and it was a rusted pile of junk then but full of character! Remember one dark and stormy night in the wilds of Essex, yes it still is wild in places... It was black as pitch, no moon and the headlight fell out of the nacelle, being a Honda it stayed lit and did a great job of illuminating the immediate area of the front wheel hanging vertically on the cable, unfortunately this didn't help much and we ended up leaving the road, going through a hedge and down into a ditch full of freezing water. It all happened very quick and was a bit of a fright at the time but a great story told and retold over a pint or seven of Abbot at our local. That was the end of the CD unfortunately but taught me a valuable lesson about rust!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Thanks Alias! Mine was very old, I can't remember what year but I had it in 79 and it was a rusted pile of junk then but full of character! Remember one dark and stormy night in the wilds of Essex, yes it still is wild in places... It was black as pitch, no moon and the headlight fell out of the nacelle, being a Honda it stayed lit and did a great job of illuminating the immediate area of the front wheel hanging vertically on the cable, unfortunately this didn't help much and we ended up leaving the road, going through a hedge and down into a ditch full of freezing water. It all happened very quick and was a bit of a fright at the time but a great story told and retold over a pint or seven of Abbot at our local. That was the end of the CD unfortunately but taught me a valuable lesson about rust!
:happy6: you poor bastard drowned to the bollocks . im off out now on the bike I will be back later with a mad story of my own that happened in Essex and involved abbot ale .

·
Registered
24 Posts
:happy6: you poor bastard drowned to the bollocks . im off out now on the bike I will be back later with a mad story of my own that happened in Essex and involved abbot ale .
Sounds great, my beer buds are salivating at all this talk of abbot ale, one of the big things I miss being over here is proper beer! The best I can do locally are out of date bottles of Adnams Broadside for about 3.5 quid a pop. Sad face!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Sounds great, my beer buds are salivating at all this talk of abbot ale, one of the big things I miss being over here is proper beer! The best I can do locally are out of date bottles of Adnams Broadside for about 3.5 quid a pop. Sad face!

ok hear we go 22 years ago i was living in Essex i was 23 and i was out of my mind on microdots ( strong LSD ) and lots of fat blunts of hash i might have gotten spiked with some more microdots in my can of drink while distracted looking through a kaleidoscope but im not 100% sure but i know for sure i had a really really bad trip i totally freaked out . i ended up all on my own with all of heaven and earth out to get me wandering around Ilford town center in the early hours of the morning . i was tripping really hard and i could hear my mother and God talking to each other about me on the telephone and they were being a right pair of chunts saying i will have to be killed and all . at the time Abbot ale had a big advertising campaign on the side of the route master buses ( red double decker London bus ) .

so there i was sitting in the street it was the middle of summer and all and the buses going past with slogans like praise the lord and the end is nigh and what ever i taught they were put there by my mother and God to send me messages . it was some ****ed up trip and it took me years to come back from it but i never did come back fully i was never fully sane to begin with but that night i lost my mind completely . these days im some where in the middle with the scales tipping slightly towards the insane side :happy7: i still hear voices in my head but i don't put any heed in them :toothy9:

at the time i was in a real bad way and for a long time after but it made for a great story take too long to tell it all but that's the snippet with Abbot ale in it .

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok hear we go 22 years ago i was living in Essex i was 23 and i was out of my mind on microdots ( strong LSD ) and lots of fat blunts of hash i might have gotten spiked with some more microdots in my can of drink while distracted looking through a kaleidoscope but im not 100% sure but i know for sure i had a really really bad trip i totally freaked out . i ended up all on my own with all of heaven and earth out to get me wandering around Ilford town center in the early hours of the morning . i was tripping really hard and i could hear my mother and God talking to each other about me on the telephone and they were being a right pair of chunts saying i will have to be killed and all . at the time Abbot ale had a big advertising campaign on the side of the route master buses ( red double decker London bus ) .

so there i was sitting in the street it was the middle of summer and all and the buses going past with slogans like praise the lord and the end is nigh and what ever i taught they were put there by my mother and God to send me messages . it was some ****ed up trip and it took me years to come back from it but i never did come back fully i was never fully sane to begin with but that night i lost my mind completely . these days im some where in the middle with the scales tipping slightly towards the insane side :happy7: i still hear voices in my head but i don't put any heed in them :toothy9:

at the time i was in a real bad way and for a long time after but it made for a great story take too long to tell it all but that's the snippet with Abbot ale in it .
Bad karma man! Sounds like one of the more surreal episodes from The Young Ones... Glad I never touched anything much stronger than Abbot! I remember that campaign, don't know if it sold much beer but did wonders for church attendances at the time! Ilford hah, remember going sideways on a mini roundabout on the high road in my 2.8 Ford Crapi 'Special' in the rain, missed my exit so just kept it going did a complete circuit and lined up nicely second attempt! Used to go to Uni at UEL or NELP as it was then in Longbridge Road, Barking not far away, when I was a Ford apprentice.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Bad karma man! Sounds like one of the more surreal episodes from The Young Ones... Glad I never touched anything much stronger than Abbot! I remember that campaign, don't know if it sold much beer but did wonders for church attendances at the time! Ilford hah, remember going sideways on a mini roundabout on the high road in my 2.8 Ford Crapi 'Special' in the rain, missed my exit so just kept it going did a complete circuit and lined up nicely second attempt! Used to go to Uni at UEL or NELP as it was then in Longbridge Road, Barking not far away, when I was a Ford apprentice.
fhucking hell man i just got some flashback right there i went into google maps and looked around my old stomping ground and the memories came flooding back . i haven't been back there for over 20 years i should go back again on the bike and have a spin around the place probably not much left as i knew it only the railway stations and the roofs i worked on im pretty sure we done a school and a house on Longbridge Road . its probably unrecognisable i was over in Hornchurch picking up a couple of bikes a few years ago but we had no time to spare .

·
Registered
24 Posts
fhucking hell man i just got some flashback right there i went into google maps and looked around my old stomping ground and the memories came flooding back . i haven't been back there for over 20 years i should go back again on the bike and have a spin around the place probably not much left as i knew it only the railway stations and the roofs i worked on im pretty sure we done a school and a house on Longbridge Road . its probably unrecognisable i was over in Hornchurch picking up a couple of bikes a few years ago but we had no time to spare .
Heh heh, not an area of Essex usually associated with tourism but the places where we spent times of our youth are always full of memories...do it man!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, first post on here. Passed test last week :smiley: have been looking at all sorts of bikes to buy . Luckily I bought a 2010 700v. Love it. Just need luggage then I am ready to tour .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great forum ;) Lots of good info. Im buying a AT 1993 model, with 103.000km on the clock, tomorrow. Hopefully it will be ok ;)

Based in western Norway and love to kit out and modify my vehicles, either 4 og 2 wheels.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just joined.

New (to me) AT arrives next week. Hello all & expect silly questions to be asked!

Jayne

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome Jayne

You know we will all need to see pics of the new AT

Paul-S

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, greetings from Cape Town. Lots of AT's alive and well down this end of the world - I've enjoyed tearing up the southern part of this fascinating continent on my trusty RD04. A few friends and I are building up a small fleet of RD07A's - three so far - with the idea of letting non-1200GS people enjoy the adventure biking experience here.

1661 - 1680 of 1693 Posts