Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you all know that I have been mighty UNIMPRESSED with my CM seat.. and I called around to see what a NEW NEW one would cost me.. any way you cut it it was gunna be too pricy! And one day at work I stumbled across an gell pad that turned to be one of these http://www.danmedicasouth.co.uk/gel_air_foam.htm
Scroll to comfy gel pad

So I decided to have a go on my own. So first i had to remove about 1000 staples
once i got them all out the cover came off easy as.

Next step was to surgically remove the wimpy soft cover foam. this stuff was rubish, and i exposed the "gel" pad and new bit foam.. this was just cut out of the origonal seat. only about 1/2 of the main seat was new foam

I did the same in the pillion

I also got some hi desity 10 pound foam from work that I cut in to a rough square of the same size as the bit foam that melvin put in

I then started to shape it to fit in the hole

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part two:

So with the hi densty foam put in and shaped as much as possible as well as cut down to fit the comfy gell pad two layers thick

I put back in the CM gel pads as well but only in the sides and very frount of the the set

Next step was to recover the gell pad, so i used the light cover foam that Cm had on

Next set was to seal up the foam I first "tested it with light packing tape"

When i was convinced every thng would fit flat... I went to cloth based PVC tape

I then covered the entire seat with a green waste bag... contact cemented down.

Then Went back on the cover wth a 10000 staples

All and all a pretty easy job about 4 hours in total (two of which was pulling and adding staples)!
The two level gel pad seat has not been tested yet but on the floor of my living room it is nice.. Xander seat review to come

·
Registered
528 Posts
Very Impressive:D:D:D Me? - I got a fat ass:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Epic job detailing the process with such great pics Xander! Looking forward to reading yours (and Mrs X's) results :blob3:

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Mmmmm the TT seat on Dessy needs some attention - I get a wet patch down my right leg every time I ride due to my hairy arse squashing the stored water out of the thing - so I need to seal it up to stop it getting in there in the first place.....

Did you just use a normal staple gun and staples, (by normal I dont mean a school project/scrap-book type, I mean the type you can use to re-enact the Normandy landings with should you feel the need) - I just worry about them being too long or the frame of the seat not being up to the power of my black and decker staple thrower.......

Edited to add - Oh MY Gawd - have you seen the price of them there Gel pads - what the hell do they fill them with - Mermaid snot?

Sorry, I had to mention it!

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys hopefully i will be riding a this weekend.. I have been away for the last 10 days (for work) so am going though a bit of withdrawal right now..so hopefully this weekend i'll be able to give you a full review..

As for the staple gun.. yup bog standard heavy duty with 8 and 10 mm staples. worked a treat (as for your staple thrower.. CM uses a gas powered one!)

And i gave the gel pad company a call and they have some over stock for say at a good discount.. so if this is something you are interested in act quick!

G

·
I'm really surprised that you find the CM seat uncomfortable. I took the plunge to get my seat refurbished by CM after a couple of uncomfortable years squirming around on a Touratech 'bench'. I was astounded at the cossetting provided by the plush new perch which has fully released the mile crunching touring potential of the XRV. I did get the rider's gel insert and also specified him to widen the base of the riders part of the seat to help support both buttocks, which prevents the painful hot spots caused by pressure points on the base of the pelvis. The only downside of the reshaping is that the pillion area is reduced.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know about the corbin but the honda pan is already too flexible.. i reckon drilling it you will just make it flex way to much and will eventually beak it..

If any one is interested i have alot of the decent foam I used left.. it will be a pain to mail.. but it is whom ever wants to come and get it can have it there is at least enough to do two more seats...or like 10 seats if you do it the way i have ...

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Nice job - hope all the work pays off for your posterior :D

·
I need a hug!
1,231 Posts
What a brill job you did there, well played Mate:rolleyes:

BIGROG:thumb:

G

·
will be interested how you find this mod xander as i also was rather unimpressed with my CM seat and that one of my main reasons for getting the tiger, cause i had spent a small fortune on trying the make the seat better but it just seemed like a lost cause.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will be interested how you find this mod xander as i also was rather unimpressed with my CM seat and that one of my main reasons for getting the tiger, cause i had spent a small fortune on trying the make the seat better but it just seemed like a lost cause.
Okay, The review... Well first off i have been on this seat for a good few months now. and it looks like has sagged a bit..But I now know why it looks like it.. When you take the seat off it is tight, but when on the bike the actual seat pan is slightly bent.. so there is a slight bend in the fabric.= sag

I guess the best test of the seat so far was my trip to Romania, for the first two and a half days it was 11 hours in the saddle just trying to get to Romania (so day one was Lichfield, Dover, France, Belgium, and then to just a bit past Koln, the day 2 was koln to Vienna, and the third was Vienna, hungary and in to Oradea (Romania). In most cases we would stop every two hours for Fuel and would take a 5-10 min break at that time...this was as much to re hydrate, as anything else (cus it was HOT).

I am not going to say that i was not sore during these days but It was not the unbearable soreness that was with the CM or stock seats. Mrs.X's bum was actually not sore it was everything else (back, hips ect..). By the end of the trip (5595miles total,) I think I killed the all the nerves in my bum cus i could not feel anything.

I have the basket wave fabric on the seat. I would not do this again. It maybe water proof but it does have little pockets that, in the rain, hold water on your bum which eventually gets you wet

All in all I would say that this is the best way to go.. If you go Gel Pad Get the Ice cube tray type.. there is a reason that they use this type in the hospital! The solid stuff does not move enough..

Down sides:
the seat is bloody heavy, and if i actually paid for most of the bits it would be expensive, and I already had the recover which would add some cost.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
it a cool job dude well done:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts