Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New owner saying hi - fuelling help

Hi all,

I picked up my first 1999 nx650 Dominator this weekend after many years of sports bikes and wanting a change to something with a bit more comfort and adventure in mind. It's not my first thumper as I owned a XT600 after passing my test but being so long ago I think I forgot most of the single cylinder characteristics. I've only ridden it once but I'm enjoying it so far and as with all second hand bikes there's one or 2 jobs to do.

Firstly when sitting around 60-65mph the bike feels like its surging. I sort of knew there was some form of fuelling issue before buying but I would like to try and get it sorted if I can. So far the previous owner has done a compression test, carb ultrasonic clean, new coil and cdi unit. Next on the list for me is fuel filter, plug, carb tune (jetting?) and possibly an inlet manifold. Is there anything else I should be looking at and if I do need a new inlet where can these be found? I've tried the usual David Silver, ebay etc but nowhere seems to list them for that year.

Other areas on the list are more cosmetic, the panels have been rattle canned at some point so I need to sort the paint. The front mudguard has been replaced with one off I think an XR650 so I'll be making a stainless fork brace. The 2 into 1 exhaust isn't standard and looks way too long so that will be replaced/shortened. Also there will be the usual new bike oil and filter service.

From what I've read these engines are pretty much bullet proof as long as they aren't ran dry so fingers crossed this will be ok.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Re: New owner saying hi - fuelling help

Just in case the PO has fitted a much smaller rear sprocket, if you are at 3000 rpm at 60mph, then that's all Honda singles. If you are away from 3000 rpm, then ignore my comment totally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Just in case the PO has fitted a much smaller rear sprocket, if you are at 3000 rpm at 60mph, then that's all Honda singles. If you are away from 3000 rpm, then ignore my comment totally.
Hi John, thanks for that it may be something I have to live with then.

I don't think the sprocket is smaller and found that lower revs did help but without a rev counter all I know is I was cruising at 60-65 in 5th when it happened. It does happen in all gears at what I would have considered to be around the middle of the rev range.

Cheers,

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts

I might be wrong, but have found my old Vigor, two Dommies, an XL600, Trannie - but only a tiny bit on Trannies, unless you get the revs above 3,000 rpm, they sound and feel like a bag of nails. This may not be your issue. (Actually to be more accurate, I mean don't let the revs drop to 3,000 or below in higher gears)
Being a Dommie, it could be stator! or slight carb stumble.

Just see what it is like at that speed in fourth. That won't really narrow it down, just an idea.
Can't remember my Dommie carbs, but you could try moving the needle up or down as a test.
Don't forget it takes 700 years to remove a Dommie carb... much quicker if you move the airbox back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts