Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
Have just had my new transalp delivered and am patiently waiting(not)lol untill mid-day when my insurance starts.
Bike came with free top-box and heated grips which is a great bonus but my silly question is how do i take the top-box off the bike.Have no instructions and did play around with it for a while but thought best just to ask and me not break it.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
there's no such thing as a silly question...only a silly answer.

& you'll get lots of those on here:rolleyes:, but Mcgyver's right, usually you unloxk the box & push the button below the lock... at least that's how mine work.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hello...

Just unlock the top box and press the release button until it the box is released from its base.
While pressing the button lift the box up slightly then push away from you should be off now....

Well how did the first spin feel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers...all sorted.....just been out and done 30 miles and was surprised by how much power there was on tap for a little engine.Bike also rode like my old bmw gs1150r which is just the way i like it

·
Hill Rider
3,111 Posts
. . . .Bike also rode like my old bmw gs1150r which is just the way i like it
Sorry, but that cant be right! A Honda riding like a BMW?????

Take yerself outside and ride lots more miles, all the time telling yerself that its a Honda :D :thumbup:

And by the way, welcome to the mad house :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, but that cant be right! A Honda riding like a BMW?????

Take yerself outside and ride lots more miles, all the time telling yerself that its a Honda :D :thumbup:

And by the way, welcome to the mad house :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:
LOL...yes i did like my BMW very much though not the price and service charges.Have also had a honda cb1300 which i rode all round spain and south of france with wife on back and soft luggage.
Love the sitting position and the twin engine on the transalp which was similar on the BMW.
Just done another 30 miles on it..........There are lots of conflicting way to run an engine in...how did you guys run your new transalp in???

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Running an engine in is a simple matter of allowing the engine to work normally without putting too much strain on it.
It usually takes 60 miles of town riding to run in a gearbox, but the engine takes 600 miles to settle and then it will last for many more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome.

Like you say, lots of wisdom about running in. The most important thing most will agree on is not to let the engine labour ie. pulling hard up hill in a high gear. Better to over rev (your running in revs that is!) than let it work hard.

John

·
Registered
116 Posts
...how did you guys run your new transalp in???
By the manual, and all it says on the matter is the following very brief comment:

"Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500km (300m). During this period avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration."

I bought my Alp new about six months ago and followed the advice. Not difficult in my case because I never do full throttle starts (does anyone?, it sounds crazy) and very rarely push acceleration to the limit. So for me, running in was my normal riding style anyway and I never ride dirt.

That's unlike running in my last bike, a BMW 1200RT, where there was a rev limit advised meaning that top speed was limited.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Sold my BMW 850GS last year. Had a problem, couldn't rectify, threw money at it. Sold it dejected. Found out it would have cost me just £120 to sort it:(
Anyway, that bike was superb. Covered 30K miles, commuting, holidays etc..
Just bought a 56 plate Transalp - excellent:D
I think I can be a good judge of the differences.
I found myself putting a bit too much control into corners with the Transalp, it is lighter and doesn't require as much input.
Great bike, although the BM did keep my tootsies warm on commutes.
Can open worms everywhere now... I think a lot of people buy the BM because it's the bike to be seen with. However, it is a great bike and if most of my riding was two up, it probably would be at my house now. But, as two up is usually limited to two weeks a year plus the occassional Sunday, the Transalp is more than man enough.

Really pleased with the comfort, it does feel like I'm on the BM again, but at least with the Transalp, it wont cost me over 400 Euros to replace the rear wheel bearing in the middle of northern Spain.

Another reason for chooisng the Transalp over another BM, is I could only afford an older BM and get the feeling that I am a pauper when I go to my nearest BM dealer.

I think the Transalp is brilliant, they cover the world, seen as ultra cool in Italy and I now have a smile stuck on my face.

It's like having a more comfortable Dommie with Touring cred:D

Enjoy yours, it's about the riding:thumbup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
on the other hand who was it once said that you should "ride it like you stole it" when running in.
Isn't this from the 'old days' when everything needed seating correctly? These days the parts are much more precisely machined so running in is just the final tweak for all moving parts.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Isn't this from the 'old days' when everything needed seating correctly? These days the parts are much more precisely machined so running in is just the final tweak for all moving parts.
This might be why they now quote a 300 mile bedding in instead of the original 600 miles.
I would still prefer to run it in the old fashioned way of letting the bikes gearbox do the work so the engine is not laboured then increase the loading up to the maximum revs.
Just because the tolerances are more precise now does not mean it is fool proof.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts