Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just picked up an old XL600R:

The pictures are flattering(!), but its basically sound, well, apart from a “problem” with the engine!! The previous owner went to start it one morning and it refused to turn over. Something is hitting internally, I suspect valve(s) against piston.

A quick investigation and loosening the tappets allows the engine to turn over fine.

My suspicions are:
1/ decompressor jammed/broken or something
2/ Stuck or bent valve
3/ dislodged valve guide
4/ cam chain jumped
5/ one or more of the eight(!) rockers is foobard
6/ or….. well who knows – ideas welcome.

Unfortunately the valve cover can’t be removed without, presumably, taking the engine out, or is there a trick to do this????

Thanks for any suggestions

- Steve

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
Congrats on the bike!

Looks like you're going to remove the head anyway. So just take the engine out. It's not that bad... takes me about 2 hours. (Okay, so I've had some practice.)

Could be a loose valve seat, which is this bike's weak point, but let's not jump the gun.

Good luck, it's a nice looking bike! Oooh, stainless steel exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
494 Posts
never done a 600r but with the lm you can remove head with engine in place
1st remove the carbs
then undo rocker cover
then lift cover up and back to where the carbs were
once rocker box is off theres plenty of room to remove the head :thumb:

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
On the 600R, it can be done, in theory... but frankly I don't see the use. It's so much easier with the engine out. More space to work and look at things. And it's not like it's a lot of work, either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I think I will just drop the engine out but got another couple of bikes to put back together first! :eek: :p

I'm really building some enthusiasm to get this bike back on the road, one of my other bikes is an XR650 - I love big singles. :)

Steve

·
TRF member
147 Posts
i had this,1 of the exhaust valve seats had broken up.
i found a place near me that repaired it.2 new seats one valve,pitting repaired by welding and skimmed £240.
if it has broke up,you might need a piston also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out the cam chain is very very worn, and must have jumped some teeth. There is some small valve marks on the piston where it hit, no bad damage fortunately. The guy I bought it off claims it was not running when the engine locked up ie. he was starting it. Seems to be the case, good news.

But am going to take the valves out and check things over thoroughly…..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts