Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike came this am snd seems fine, brakes needed bleeding and a flat battery which is being charged.
First weirdism.
The cooling fans come on when I turn the ignitition on. Is this normal?

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Temperature sensor for the fan is in the right hand radiator. Unplug it first, see if the fan goes off.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm
The kill switch seems to just control the cooling fans, but it starts and runs ok.
This looks to be a starting aid, taking the load of the fans off the battery, a bit odd.
What is the weird round thingy in the fuse box? I will post a photo later.
Off to sort out tax and take a test ride

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hmm
The kill switch seems to just control the cooling fans, but it starts and runs ok.
This looks to be a starting aid, taking the load of the fans off the battery, a bit odd.
What is the weird round thingy in the fuse box? I will post a photo later.
Off to sort out tax and take a test ride
its a diode , think part of the side stand in gear kill I think...

Reactions: chunkolini

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that, for a few seconds I figured some plonker had bodged a replacement fuse in but it looks like an official fitting.
Glad I did not yank it out.
I put about forty miles on it today, runs fine, no problems.
I even like the colours. I will post photos later.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
On both my RD04's the fan stopped working and replacing each individual part in the system failed to fix it so I wired it direct to a switch on the handlebar and turn it on manually in heavy traffic in the summer. Sometimes I then forget to turn it off so when I turn on the ignition the fan comes on. It might not be the kill switch, just one that looks very like it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
bit of a ###t to solder a new diode in, don't rag the old 'un out. carefully/craft knife etc, remove the back of the box before you do owt. last time, i just drew out the two wires, extended & added an in-line diode with adhesive heat shrink, tucked away for easy accsess if it needs replacing again . if

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If this is the diode mate, according to the Honda workshop manual, it's the clutch one:
yup that's it the side stand one is in line under than tank on the left :thumbup:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Topbuzz99, that is the sucker. What the hell was going at Honda? that looks like incompetent home bodgery. I will leave it alone.
So far so good, bike seems to work fine, I will leave bizarre switchery alone for the time being.
There is a nasty wobble at about 85mph, I reckon the massive pile of wheel balancing weights might be a cause?
There is a threaded wotsit on on the opposite side of the rim, I reckon some kind of security bolt and flange to keep flat tyres on the rim.
my Tenere has these in Ghana years ago. Photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The fan circuit is about as simple as you can get, the fan is powered from the ign switch vis a dedicated fuse - there is no relay. A thermo switch at the bottom of the rh rad allows the fan to earth.
99.99% of problems are either;
Corrosion at the thermo switch, or a bad earth from the rad, the earth is often accidentally left unconnected if a rad has been removed. Sometimes the fan 'sticks' blowing the fuse when the fan is required.

Phil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts