Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bike delivered early this morning, stripped her down, engine out & partially stripped. The last owner put a new drive shaft & gearbox in, though after 10mins, he said it started sounding rough on the front cylinder. after taking the head off found the cam had worn the cylinder. he replaced the head, same again happened. He'd had enough at this point & sold it on to a dealer near me. This is where i come in.... was told on my last (first) rebuild to use £££ original gaskets, which i did & she's still running fine. Looks like cheap or rd07 base gasket has been used on this rebuild, blocking the oil from the engine to where the oil enters the bottom of the cylinder. thoughts please if you understand my logic. WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT, IF ANYONE HAD A PICTURE OF A RD04 BASE GASKET. I'm going to strip my spare engine tomorrow to compare.
oil comes from engine up the little hole, but is blocked by gasket? Y/N? cylinder2.jpg
would travel & go up the cylinder bolt hole to the head before being pumped around the cam? Y/N? cylinder.jpg
TWINS : ) twins2.jpg
dumbo already crying at the thought of sleeping in the rain tonight. twins.jpg

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
I've never delved as deep as base and head gaskets, luckily, so far (although I have a top end to sort soon) but looking at the pics has got me wondering.

Does the oilway in your pic, only exist in that position, in that cylinder? Could it be a case that the front and rear gaskets are different, and the wrong one was used in the wrong place??

I haven't a clue, just a thought!

Nice to see another RD04 being given another lease of life, nice one Foz :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Front and rear gaskets are both the same on RD04 and RD07/A. All of these use internal oilways for the top end lubrication on front and rear cylinders. The gasket's a wrong 'un.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Front and rear gaskets are both the same on RD04 and RD07/A. All of these use internal oilways for the top end lubrication on front and rear cylinders. The gasket's a wrong 'un.
So is the casting the same? Does the oilway appear in the same position (even if it's mirrored) on the front and rear cylinder?

Just wondering?

:toothy9:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm... just removed the cylinder on a spare rd07a engine ( 70k, tiny 2nd gear noise, so engine replaced) the gasket (silver honda orig) does have a hole, pin prick size! which seemed to have been blocked by a slither of carbon. but the bike ran fine...very! So when i order new, i'll be checking & may enlarge the hole slightly. No damage to the rear head, shall strip after breakfast & see what's what.
£970... bike with new back wheel, new final drive shaft & bearings, 1/2 new gearbox, MRA tall sreen & deflector, new renthals & hotgrips, newish acerbis, decent crashbars, & front plastics pretty good. hopefully 2days to diagnose & repair. extra £100 for orig gaskets, o'rings, filter & oil. Bargain!
now paint schemes if i'm changing... not original, done before, i know... but i like it... in keeping with late 80's. redbull, repsol too new for her. something similar... Right back to the new babe.... from this
baby.jpg
to this?
rothmans.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't know if this is relivent or not but I just did a rebuild on my RD07a engine and both front and rear base cylinder gaskets where the same with no hole. Original part bought through Honda Ireland.

Doesn't appear to have a hole where you indicate.

Engine is running 100%

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just checked the rear base gasket, same no hole ,no damage! But both rd04 & rd07a cylinders have the little channel that feeds oil to the cam holder. I found old gaskets from last rebuild, both have the holes as do my spare engine! there's no other way of feeding oil apart from splash from the cam chain.
IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0794.JPG

not risking it, if the gaskets come without the holes... gonna make some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, just joined and know this is a very old post, is this Rothmans scheme the 'original' scheme. I have one however the tank has been resprayed and so has other bits but it has the blue seat and rear rack plus the dash. Currently restoring and want to get the scheme correct

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some photos, all parts being cleaned by a friend of mine in Bicester.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Looking good thanks for pictures maybe you just start a new thread lots of people will be interested

1 - 15 of 15 Posts