Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellos,

I am cleaning up the carbs on my -96 AT, as she runs really badly. Floater chambers and jets were absolutely full of gunk and even some corrosion on brass parts - she has been standing in a cold garage for a while now.

But also the air cut off valves are defect, both of them. Honda has stopped manufacturing them and both CMSNL and WeMoto say "Unavailable".

Is there any known source for a new one? Maybe another Honda with similar valves?

Or is there a way to try to refurbish the old? The vacuum holds when I test it but it doesn't shut off the air flow between the two other ports. I thought about just injecting carb cleaner into it and see if anything happens...

Thanks and cheers,
Rainer

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honda has many parts common with similar models. You should try some breaker's yards or used bikes stores and look for CB350 to 600 classes of similar vintage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a working valve can't be found, then what happens if one would block the carb tubes and holes for the valve instead? That would permanently enrich the fuel-air mixture by a small amount? But would such a small amount matter on higher revs? And what would it mean for idling? I assume that in normal circumstances the valve would be open when idling.

Someone told me that on older AT:s some people used to do just this when the valve broke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts