Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

The rear shock on my Dominator is on it's last legs and needs replacing. Any advice/thoughts on buying a replacement shock?

James

·
Apprentice Mud...wiz
442 Posts
I got a hagon shock and got a custom/heavier spring for my ''built in pillion''. It seems to be alright, as far as I'm concerned expensive though. Although a wilbers for instance.. ouch..

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Hagon is the cheap end of replacement shocks. ;-)

I opted for a Technoflex way back when. Costs a bit, but the bike was transformed :shock:

(Nevermind the likes of WP and Ohlins...)

Mind you, the shocks for the earlier RD02 dommies are a bit longer than the ones for the RD08. Dunno by how much, but noticeable if you get the wrong one.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
If you're a DIY kind of guy who loves tinkering, there's always the el-cheapo solution of getting hold of a used CR 250 shock, rebuild it to spec then put on the NX's spring.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
It is possible to have the NX rear shock rebuilt, despite what Honda says...

Problem is, it'll still be an NX shock. :rolleyes:

(Though I suspect my US-spec shock was even more useless than the euro version.)

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
It is possible to have the NX rear shock rebuilt, despite what Honda says...

Problem is, it'll still be an NX shock. :rolleyes:

(Though I suspect my US-spec shock was even more useless than the euro version.)
Can't actually be done on standard shocks without mods. You need to put in a valve unless you have a pressuried working environment.

·
Apprentice Mud...wiz
442 Posts
Hagon is the cheap end of replacement shocks. ;-)

I opted for a Technoflex way back when. Costs a bit, but the bike was transformed :shock:

(Nevermind the likes of WP and Ohlins...)

Mind you, the shocks for the earlier RD02 dommies are a bit longer than the ones for the RD08. Dunno by how much, but noticeable if you get the wrong one.

When you say costs a bit?

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Costs a bit meaning I got the Technoflex cheap for 400 euro from a webshop that I don't think exists anymore. They usually go for a bit more than that, comparable to Wilbers I guess. (More or less the same as Wilbers too, as in Technoflex say Wilbers is a rip-off of their shock.)

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you're a DIY kind of guy who loves tinkering, there's always the el-cheapo solution of getting hold of a used CR 250 shock, rebuild it to spec then put on the NX's spring.
I am quite interested in that? Which year cr's shock fits? what about expansion chamber? is there enough space?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Guys, i'm new to this forum, looks great so far.

I have just bought an 89 Dominator, the rear shock has gone and I wanted to get it rebuilt but it is a Hagon unit. I would rather have a genuine Honda unit to re-build really. Is there any more information about the CRF shock set-up? That sounds very interesting, also I have herd mention of using an africa twin shock? What are my options?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Dunno about other options, but the stock Honda shock is nothing to write home about. Might as well have the Hagon rebuilt...

Mind you, any mention of "this fits that" that doesn't mention model years is worthless. The rd02 and rd08 have different length shocks... Rd08 is slightly shorter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your reply Rubberchicken, Does anyone know the shock lengths for the different models? And how much shorter is the RD08 one. Has anyone got a second hand Dominator shock kicking about they might want to sell?

·
Registered
179 Posts
funnily ive just been looking at the neoprene ones both for the rear shock and the front forks . Nylon is a good idea as I wonder if the neoprene ones will just soak up and hold water

·
Registered
211 Posts
Neoprene will absorb water - so not a good idea for the rear. If I replace my rear shock in the spring I will getting one of those nylon socks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts