Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my rear wheel back complete with its new rim and stainless spokes........

Sundays job will be to fit this.........

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Bob my boy,

What was wrong with the old one ? :confused:

Now you're gonna say you dinged it aren't you :D:D:D

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob my boy,

What was wrong with the old one ? :confused:

Now you're gonna say you dinged it aren't you :D:D:D
Nothing wrong with it at all.

The standard KTM rear rim (4.00x18 ) takes a 150/70x18 tyre, you can fit a 140 on it but it 'squares' the profile and causes rapid wear.

The new rim is a 2.50x18 and is the correct size for a 140/80x18 tyre.

As an example a Continental Twinduro 150/70X18 costs £111.49 - the 140 costs £81.99 (same supplier) so the wheel will pay for itself within 3/4 years, plus there is a far greater choice of tyres in the 140 size.

But the main factor for the change is that the O/E KTM rim has a double-bead and that makes it a real bitch to break it, the new rim will be much easier for tyre changes.

I have been mulling over this idea for a long time and personally i can't see any downsides to using the narrower rim/tyre :dontknow:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Nothing wrong with it at all.

The standard KTM rear rim (4.00x18 ) takes a 150/70x18 tyre, you can fit a 140 on it but it 'squares' the profile and causes rapid wear.

The new rim is a 2.50x18 and is the correct size for a 140/80x18 tyre.

As an example a Continental Twinduro 150/70X18 costs £111.49 - the 140 costs £81.99 (same supplier) so the wheel will pay for itself within 3/4 years, plus there is a far greater choice of tyres in the 140 size.

But the main factor for the change is that the O/E KTM rim has a double-bead and that makes it a real bitch to break it, the new rim will be much easier for tyre changes.

I have been mulling over this idea for a long time and personally i can't see any downsides to using the narrower rim/tyre :dontknow:

Ooops, that's me told then :D:D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob, I was going to offer you a hand to stretch that rubber around your shiny rim if you needed it - but having seen your mankini post, I'm not sure that my offer would be taken the right way ;)

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. Thanks for that :rolleyes:

:D
:puke: :D

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice J :D

but this morning I have done the deed, bloody cold for fitting tyres but sometimes you just got to get on with it ............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts