Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just over three years and some 33 kmiles of exclusive AT usage got myself a new ride yesterday.

She's a Suz DL1000 V-Strom K3 (2003/04). I rode her for 250 km/150 miles from the point of purchase in Co. Limerick with a couple of stops. It was pretty cold without heated grips yesterday.

First imperssions, apart from the very obvious power hike, are also pretty good, although I can say goodbye for any offroading where more than modest ground clearance is needed. The Strom also seems pretty allergic to revs between 3 and 3.5k where the engine feels quite agricultural. There are also bit too much corrosion and rusty bits for my liking for a bike that has only travelled for few thousands miles. I think the previous owner didn't garage her. But after the AT twisty bits are handled very effortlessly and seat was not bad either.

I will keep my '98 RD07a as well for at least until next summer. I might ride her to Finland then for the use of SamiH Sr.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
nice samih. the extra power is always welcome 8)

corrosion is always an issue with suzukis ive had several down the years but its always easy to keep on top of with some ACF or any of the post wash treatments :D

keep us posted on how you get on with the strom its always nice to see how these bikes fair :D

lose those cans and get some aftermarket ones ... it will deffo help with that glitch in the revs . its the old TL engine and its pretty well strangled in that guise :wink:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for comments.

Chad, I like the sound even with the standard cans but no doubt something free flowing would no doubt make it breath better. Apparantly the engine would also like more fuel on low revs and there are also some other tricks one can do. I better also stock up with ACF. I used plenty today after giving a wash to AT but none for the Strom. Feel more bonded with the AT, see :)

Mabel, your Mom is right and the DL likes to rev. However, the engine does run cleanly from about 2k on lower gears but does not like any loading at that level. Unlike AT you can actually ease it along on constant speed on very low revs. The sixth gear is only usable from 60 mph up. At indicated 130 km/h (80 ish mph) the revs are only at 4.5k on sixth, so it has very tall gearing compared to AT.

G

·
looks nice sami but its not an @. I think i will have to have a good talking to you to get you to see some sense before its to late and you give the @ to your dad!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simon, you still have almost six months to talk me out of that foolish idea :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Samih
Exactly the same thoughts going through my head at the moment.
Some folks seem to think its ugly, I like it a lot though.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of it after some serious usage under your belt.
Best of luck with it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts