Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all!

It's taken me a while to actually get round to posting my pictures, have been keeping track of the forum for about 3 months...! (Especially like that midlands to Malta thread, what an inspiration!)

I passed my test on the 2nd December, then got my TA on the 8th. I'm not all that mechanically minded, nor inclined to mess about with a newish bike for fear of messing the warranty up etc, so I've not got ambitious rebuilding plans like some of the rest of you on here! I did put a new Honda touring screen on it (which is fantastic, does the job perfectly, no wind blast or buffeting right up to *ahem* "cruising" speeds.

Also fitted some oxford hotgrips. Quick note on these, I put the "commuter" variant on, tying to save a little cash, and thinking it'd be a good idea to keep the amps down. In retrospect I would have chosen a better set - they just don't seem that hot.

The other thing is that the glue almost instantly failed, which is particularly disconcerting when flying down the M1 to discover loose grips. So I put a shed load of superglue on last night - will report.

Should have also wired those hotgrips through the ignition...silly thing to forget when locking it up at night...

Here are some snaps from yesterday...

Wake up on a Saturday, this is the view from my bedroom window: (turns out this is going to be a Saturday of Saturdays! Instantly jump out of bed, throw on biking gear, wait in lift grinning, disturb neighbours)

Got settled into the seat: (note remorseless angling to include Mr Mission Impossible)

Took the bike for a blast into Derbyshire, out to CMC motorcycles at Clay Cross, if any of you know it. It's theoretically a yahama dealer, but seems more like, on a day like yesterday, a permanent bike meet. All sorts of bikes everywhere, all brands, all ages, owners happily munching biker burgers and engaging in animated man-bike-talk.

Sorry, no pics of CMC. Will post next time.

There are some fantastic roads out there. It's proper countryside, inclusive of all the "countryside" smells etc. Here's one pic pulled over on the side of the road: (mate's Harley in the background)

Finished up the day by having it washed by one of those car wash gangs (under v careful supervision...) as I don't have access to all the car washing apparatus. Took it then to see the guys I trained with, here are some pics I took there:

When I got it, there were 4,000 miles on the clock, now there are 5,600, so not too bad for 3 winter months!

Look forward to more bike-chat, fellow transalpians!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
HI Richard nice bike similar to my own.I havent got out for a decent run the year yet. hope you continue to enjoy and welcome to the forum.:thumbup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome ! Nice Alp you've got there, IMHO one of the better colours on the 700 :) Enjoy, and let us all know of an travel plans, like you, I was far more motivated to get away after reading Midlands to Malta thread.

Take it easy :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to report on the hotgrips, went out last night for a spin, the superglue worked great! Probably will be tough to get them off again but it's better that way round. I used loctite superglue which is designed for metal and rubber, amongst others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Welcome to xrv Richard.

Nice looking 700 and on the best colour scheme.
John.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice bike, as they say, 'good health to enjoy'.

Regarding your grip issue and superglue, I put oxfords on my CBF1000, a tip for anyone about to fit them. Put a towel or rag under your handle bars to catch any dripping glue. I failed to do this with mine and it dripped onto the fairing and that was it. I never noticed at the time, it was only next day I noticed and the air was blue......my wife says I am a 'burk at work' it was so true that day....

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
When I got it, there were 4,000 miles on the clock, now there are 5,600, so not too bad for 3 winter months!

Look forward to more bike-chat, fellow transalpians!
And the warmer weather is on the way, so watch those mile ramp up....

Glad you have discovered the delights of the Honda V-twin engine, a jewel amongst so much tat!

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
500 Posts
Love the Trannie in that colour. I made a bit of a mistake last year in buying a NC700....when trying to change it for a new Alp earlier this year there were none left :( so ended up with another of my fave bikes, a Tenere, to keep my old @ company.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Precisely my intention, old chap! Sicily in the summer.

Whereabouts in the midlands did you set off from? I'm in Nottingham here...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! I'm just around the corner! I smell a bike meet, once I've got my TA back from honda...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts