Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a BMW C1 for commuting from Bromley to London. Not the coolest, maybe, but different, safe and able to drive it on a CBT. Sold it a couple of years ago when going through a divorce but was surprised how much I missed having something to ride (the bike, not the misses).

So what to get this time? After a tough couple of years and with a 40th birthday this year maybe something special. But with a nod to safety ABS and large road presence important. I narrowed the choice to an orange Kawasaki Versys or a red Transalp but in the end the Honda won on looks. (Anyone tried the Versys, what's it like?) One problem was the news that Honda would lift prices by 21% from April 1 so it felt prudent to buy pre-test for delivery 17 April.

After sailing through the Theory I booked a one week Direct Access course in Sidcup and set off to buy the gear. If my girlfriend expected me to return more macho in black leather she must have been disappointed with the orange tone Gortex. But as I said, safety is a criteria so one thousand pounds of helmet, boots, jacket, rousers, gloves etc money well spent is my opinion.

Then the course. So you want me to work the clutch with my hand and change gear with my foot? You want me to ride how fast? (I discovered that although loving the freedom of a bike, speed does nothing for me - is it my age, I've missed that boat, or just a never present gene?) At last though, after four days of practice the test. But suddenly, CRASH! BANG!

CRASH! BANG! No, not me, the DVLA compauter. No tests could be booked. Worse, unlikely that one could be before the new test with 8 maneouvres in 2 days of yard and on-road pratical. I have neither the time nor the skill to do that (at least, not without cancelling the children's summer holiday). So now I had 5000 pounds of never ridden bike, one thousand pounds of gear, 800 pounds worth of training and nothing to show. Not happy.

Then tweo days later a phone call. Could I get to Gillingham for the last free 'old' test slot in England? Of course I could, I could get to the Scottish Borders for that.

Fortunately I had a VERY kind examiner. If you ever meet Pete from Croydon please, please buy him a drink from me. He overlooked stalling twice in front of a bus intent on taking me out across a junction and gave me my license. I really think the proper gear meant he gave me the benefit of the doubt. A few days earlier a young boy from the same training school with double my capability but only a T-shirt, jeans and a racing helmet had failed on a far, far minor point.

After a busy weekend when I could only ride to Sainsbury's and back (big the Transalp isn't it!) I set off for work this Monday at 6.00a.m.

DAIRY SO FAR:
MONDAY: Stalled twice, overtaken by a cyclist.
TUESDAY: Stalled once, reached 60MPH on the A2.
WEDNESDAY: No stalling so far. Overtook a scooter.

And so finally, on my third day of Transalp commuting, I'm starting to enjoy it!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
We will need pictures of your bike.

Where about in Bromley?
A couple of us live close to there perhaps we could get together some time.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Just outside the Beckenham boundary near to Crystal Palace NSC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We could meet up but could I keep up? Let's leave it a bit but so I know if I see you around what you riding?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a Blue Transalp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts