Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nx650 RD02 (1989) is in need of a new shock. The current shock is an old Hagon that is at least 20 years old fitted by the previous owner and I doubt very much it is serviceable by the look of it.

Im on a tight budget (meaning I don’t want to spend a fortune) but need to replace it.

What’s out there, anything I should avoid, any recommendations?

Cheers.
Ian.

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
hagon should be rebuildable , it may have to go back to them though

·
Registered
259 Posts
What Mervinh said. Send it back to Hagon, they'll service / rebuild it for around £100 - I doubt you'd get a decent new shock for that kind of money? Why not give them a call to discuss your needs and establish what they can do and - critically - how much it will cost.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did email Hagon and when I told them the age of it they said it may not be serviceable, I have emailed them pictures and await their response. It doesn’t look like it could be even be opened, after looking at a few today and the prices I hope they can.
93C15BA0-BE89-4ACC-9E6E-39F81C3F3443.jpg

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
I bought a seconhand genuine honda SLR650 shock once asit was cheap on ebay , it looked immaculate , Sold the SLR bought a Vigor (same bike basically just newer model) I was riding along one day and the shock went on the vigor, kangarooed my way home , dug out the SLR shock , yup identical , fitted that happpy days , 2 weeks later tok bike out of shed , as it went over the 2 inch step in the shd door that shock collapsed to , thats how i ended up buying a new Hagon

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How have you found Hagon?

Do the new ones look anything like my old one?

There is a hex bolt on the other side of the lower shock to adjust the rebound.

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
Seems ok to me , TBH it was several years ago i fitted it , at least 5 maybe more , not had any problems , but i dint think i have the hex bolt to adjust rebound

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems ok to me , TBH it was several years ago i fitted it , at least 5 maybe more , not had any problems , but i dint think i have the hex bolt to adjust rebound
Shock now back on the bike so not the best pic but here is the damper adjuster.
FD75FA6F-E6D0-4063-B3DB-B3F31EE0C1C1.jpeg

Also Hagon got got back in touch with me and said that my shock was over 21 years old, as a result they’d rather not service it due to the age. They have offered me a new replacement unit @ £200.00 all in.
Happy days, I’ll order that tomorrow. :-D:-D:-D

I feel the the need to change the prehistoric oil in the forks now too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi about the replacement shock.on my flattracker I bit the bullet and bought an expensive wilbers rear shock which works really well I have just bought a dominator with a brand new yss shock fitted not ridden it yet as I am doing a complete refurb and service. Will let you know how it feels. My other dommie had a zx6r rear shock that replaced the original worn out oem item. I had a hagon Shock that needed a refurb but the cost set aside a very good zxr6 was a no brainer

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice.

I tried a zx6r shock and it fitted but lowered the ride height a bit.
I ended up getting a replacement from Hagon at a reduced cost as a replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts