Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
the performance of a CX500 and an XLV750 would not sell in a brand new bike these days
Really ?
Enfield are selling shed loads of their 48hp 650s, and Guzzi V750s still sell well, the shaft drive on the Guzzis doesn't seem to dent the performance to "unsellable" levels. Not everybody needs 100bhp plus, and without it there's no need for the expense of riding modes and traction control.
I love my 600 Transalp, but I'd love it a whole lot more with an extra 150 - 250cc and a shaft drive.
If they left off all the unnecessary crap it might even be a reasonable price.
Tbf, I've considered an NC750X as a touring bike, and if it had a shaft I'd probably have bought one by now. Without the ridiculous DCT option obviously 馃槀

Registered
Interesting comments re power/performance/shaft drive.
I've a 650 Alp & a cbf500 at the moment both are around 55hp, performance of each, more than enough - even for spirited solo use () and adequate 2 up.
Maybe I'm easily pleased....

Ironically, I felt the heavier/shaft driven Deauville (now sold) of similar power, fine for trundling along motorways but just that bit lacking for most other situations, probably not helped by the engine being the 'wrong' way round for a shaftie too.
I did consider ditching the tupperware & paring down the DV to make a shaftie adv bike akin to the Transrst but time/inclination are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

Sales of more modestly powered bikes seem healthy enough & to be fair, I very much doubt if anyone can realistically utilise 100hp on the road anyway ('cept those who wish to travel everywhere at 3 figure speeds...)

Still, the chase for more power continues

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
any new Honda adventure bike needs to match the Tenere 700

Honda hasn't made a shaft drive bike under 1,200cc for years. sadly, i doubt they will start now

the old NTV650s are much lighter and quicker than the Deauville 650, even though its the same engine

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
if you look at the transalp 650 and 700, the engines put out enough power, but they are heavy bikes. i am sure they could lose some weight somewhere, wring a bit more power out of it, get some decent styling and...you have a winner

Registered
The first stagger crank V twin models were all shaft drive VT500, XLV750, NTVs only the touring models kept the shaft Deauville & PC800.
The current A2 bikes (CB500X,RE650 etc) are all probably producing their 47 bhp at the back wheel as opposed to the advertised 60+ bhp of yesteryear that produced it at the top of the piston, <50 at the back wheel?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts