Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts about people changing sprockets to get faster acceleration and wheelies out of their rides.
I'm the complete opposite. I use my SLR650 for purely commuting.
It's in need of new sprockets and chain.
What can anyone recommend I go for that doesn't mean leaving guards off or messing about. I just want a straight "old sprockets off and new sprockets on" but something that may give me a bit more top end speed and better mpg ??
Any change in the gearing for 1st, 2nd etc wouldn't make any difference to commuting as I only ride it solo and there's hardly any weight on it, so I'm assuming it will still pull away from lights okay ??

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Do not try to put a bigger sprocket on the front, it will not fit with the metal case protector on the sprocket cover, wemoto do the rear sprockets in 3 sizes up or down
merv

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the head-up Merv

What sprocket size is standard on the back and what can I change to - to get that little bit better mpg and top end speed (not that I'm after much).

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Hi,
A few years ago when I had my Vigor, same as SLR, my main reason for changing the rear sprocket was awful hunting at commuter speeds.
At around 30 MPH, you were constantly changing up, down, up, down:mad:
So, I fitted a one tooth smaller rear sprocket.
Two advantages, one being less snatch at around 30 MPH and it also would cruise more comfortably around 70 MPH.
I bought mine from wemoto.
I don't know what year your bike is, but check out:
Honda SLR 650 V/W 97-98 Replacement Motorcycle Parts at Wemoto
I don't know how dramatic a two or three less tooth rear would be, but at only £20, you can't go far wrong.
Good luck
John
Actually, a bit of honesty here, I cannot remember whether it was a one or two teeth less I bought, but I think it was one.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
well 14 /43 are the standard sprockets so you can go down to 40 according too Wemoto,
according to my gearing calculator going from 43 down too 40 teeth on the rear should give you about 2 mph in first and 7 in top ,this may not be deadly accurate but i have entered the values in the spreadsheet to the best i can find in the manuals and parts lists , if i could find a away of attaching it i would
Merv

Aha i have megauploaded it ok guys and gals this gearing spreadsheet has the values for the SLR 650 in it, you can enter the values of rany bike and see what changing sprockets wil, do too it but two showers if you want too download it and change the sprocket sizes you will see some idea of what will happen
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WVF44TQZ

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I much appreciate all this help and guidance.
So I'm sticking with a standard front sprocket, but have the option of dropping 1, 2 or 3 teeth on the rear. If it will take 3 less on the rear, then I'm tempted to go for that as it's used purely for commuting.

Sorted (I think !), standard front, and 3 off back, new chain and staus quo should be achieved.

Cheers peeps..........:thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Let us know how it goes please
Merv

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do Merv

but it will be after the bank holiday as I am away for a few days. I have to wait for the bits to come as well, so give it a bit of time.

:blob5:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts