Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big debate to post here but here goes.

I've done 30k on my 08 TA700 and loved every moment. I've dealt with the usual warranty issues with an exhaust upgrade awaiting me at my dealers. I've added all the accessories I could need/use within limits.

I've commuted daily in all weathers and really looked after the bike to keep the weather off it, it does look better than some bikes that have done summer only miles under 10k.

Thing is, I won't be using the bike for daily commuting anymore and have added about half my current miles doing so.

I now have the opportunity to update the bike before I go self employed which will interfere with credit apps.

So: do I upgrade to a new TA700 and take my accessories with me,adding about £40 a month to my installments what with the price hike.

Or: Do I buy a pre-reg or used F800GS and buy about £400 worth of bits to upgrade the accessories?

Test rode the GS yesterday, seat is narrow and thin, throttle is edgy, BMW will have recall and other warranty issues to ho through over the next year.

Reasons to do so I can think of;
More oomph upto speed and better 2up capabilities.
Wife likes the pillion position better.
Way better front suspension and small bump damping.
Fitted electrics for accessories.
Like the standard positioning, fitted rightaway.

Reasons to change from Alp;
Disapointed with lack of quality of finish of parts.
Small bump damping non-existent.
I've had to add risers to adapt positioning and I'm still not there.
Pillion positioning ain't the best, seat too close, feet too close.
Always like being different.

Am I mad in the head?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Im not qualified to say what you should do, after all its your choice and money in the end and you have to live with your choice. Given the problems with build quality i would never buy a bmw, mind you i wouldnt EVER buy one anyway. Overrated and over here, just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If you are going to have to keep it for a while and only use it for joy and not commuting then for comfort of both of you I would say the BMW.
It does have its problems but then again the 700 TA has had one or two as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I rode from Norwich to Swindon today and saw about 15 GS 800s, and they all look the same, the riders all wear the same gear, and they don't nod as much as other riders.

Its not just about being different on a Transalp, owning a BMW has to be the other exreme!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Funny that, i have observed the same thing up here. The moment they buy a bmw they seem to change.......turn into right snobby gits. If this offends anyone im sorry, but its true.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Funny that, i have observed the same thing up here. The moment they buy a bmw they seem to change.......turn into right snobby gits. If this offends anyone im sorry, but its true.
As a BMW owner I refuse to rise to such an obvious bit of bait. Especially from Honda riding riff raff :hitler:

What you are doing wrong is waving.. You should be saluting

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

We should not segregate ourselves the car fraternity will do that for us if it's got two wheels [three with a sidecar] we are all part of a minority often chastised group and should all stick together.

BIG D.

Well I would say that having just picked up a BMW :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
:cool:

We should not segregate ourselves the car fraternity will do that for us if it's got two wheels [three with a sidecar] we are all part of a minority often chastised group and should all stick together.

BIG D.

Well I would say that having just picked up a BMW :D
My deepest sympathys ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't think I'd have bought the TA if the wife was a regular pillion. I know, I know, some owners have toured Europe two up. Love the TA for solo, two up for short trips its ok, but if I knew it was a regular event the BMW or Varadero might have been more my target. Still it's your money & your decision. :confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a similar issue with the 4 wheeled aberrations. Do I keep my 16v mk3 Golf GTI - excellent build quality, 40 mpg, low maintenance, but now getting on a bit OR do I buy a sprightly mk4 4Motion Golf with higher spec, but lower build quality, higher maintenance and much higher fuel costs. Answer - No, as it is fundamentally not that different and as such, not worthy of the hassle of changing and the considerable outlay involved.

I think similar reasoning applies to your decision.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
...Wife likes the pillion position better....

here u go...decision made then!:D

also agree with BIG D...let us all stick together no matter what u ride....I even wave at Hogs' riders!:)

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Here we go, the normal BMW bashing from some of you...
I have a Transalp and it is an excellent bike.
I had an R850GS on which I covered over 30k miles.
For long distance, the BM is more comfortable and less zingy through your bum.
If you do a lot of miles, the fact it took me about 15 to 20 minutes to do the tappets is a hell of a factor; 6 hours on the Transalp!!! It was the first time though.
But, of course, I'm referring to a boxer, not the 800's vertical twin.
If the BM is more expensive, I can see very little reason to change to it.
It has chain drive like the Trannie. From my BM experience which includes many miles on airheads too, the only two reasons for going for the 800, are better off road capability and if normal BM, better metals used so less corrosion.

It's a shame a lot of BMs are bought by non riders, but there are a lot of guys, myself included, who put distance on their bikes.

How did I end up with the Transalp? I've always thought them a good all-rounder, I had about £3k to spend, so I'd rather get a newer bike with fewer miles than an older BM with at least 50k miles on it.
Nothing wrong with higher mileage BMs, but if they needed a job I couldn't do, I felt like a pauper at a BM garage.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mmm, some thoughts, lots of opinions.

WIndmill John - probably the best advice thanks.

Cost is an issue and im trying to weigh up if tis worth it or not. 2up would really improve for the Mrs admittidly however we dont do enough of it, its just that when we do we do high miles.

My biggest negative impression of the GS is the narrow seat cutting on my inner thighs and as I use it daily im sure this would be more annoying than the Alps lack of small bump suspension.

Probably made my mind up to stay with the Alp.

Anyone fancy buying a TA700 08plate with 28.5k?

Trading it in for a New one so ive got another 4 years life on it as once I go selfemployed I wont be able to finance and I always change every 4 years.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
My biggest negative impression of the GS is the narrow seat cutting on my inner thighs and as I use it daily im sure this would be more annoying than the Alps lack of small bump suspension.
Are you sure it wasn't fitted with the low seat option? The one I rode dug in in the same place and I found really uncomfy. The dealer blamed it on the low seat. Worth checking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Trading it in for a New one so ive got another 4 years life on it as once I go selfemployed I wont be able to finance and I always change every 4 years.
From what I gather on these pages, your TA has covered less than half its mileage before a likely overhaul. Brush away your attack of the "spends" and keep it for another 4 years. Without the additional payments, you will be able to concentrate better on your new career. Think how much sweeter a new bike will be in 4 years time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Anyone fancy buying a TA700 08plate with 28.5k?
Funnily enough I was in a CJ Ball looking for an early 700 with my mate at the weekend and they mentioned they might be getting one in soon...

My mate (in Norwich) is still looking, PM me and I'll give you some contact details.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Your money your choice Farky but I will bet you a pound to a pinch of s*** that the BMW will NOT be as reliable as the Honda.

Oh yea and snobbery definatly does exist among BMW owners thats why in all the time I owned five of them I never joined the club.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts