Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Friday in preparation for the coming years camp outs and in the interest of losing some weight from my luggage I went looking for a new tent at Go Outdoors.
My current Vango Beta 450 has served me well for two years worth of xrv style camping and is going to remain my backup but at 7.5kg like its owner it’s a bit on the heavy side but I have benefitted from the copious amounts of space that comes with the extra weight.
When looking for the replacement one thing I was sure of was that I needed a tent with a porch (after last Novembers peak district camp this space proved invaluable in keeping wet from the sleeping area).
After reading a bit about what was available three tents seemed to fit my requirements, Coleman Phad 3, Vango Omega 250, and the North Ridge Torre XL so armed with a bit of insight of I went, Go Outdoors (Loughborough) had all three of the tents I was looking at pitched outside so I got the chance to have a proper look, first the Coleman, this looks and incredibly sturdy structure and bags of room in the sleeping area spoiled only by the fact that the porch although having quite a large footprint tapered off sharply at the top rendering it less useful that others I had seen ....so discounted this one, The Vango Omega 250...Now this tent always appealed to me and to be honest I really thought this was the one I'd be going home with but the display tent was showing really bad wear marks where the poles went into the loop and the zip on the door had come away from the tent fabric, I'm aware that these display tents have probably been there "on display" for a while with hundreds of people climbing in and out of them but this put me off even though the tent in every other aspect ticked all the boxes....but discounted this one too!
The North Ridge Torre XL ..... Now specification wise this tent really impresses for starters Fly sheet Hydrostatic Head 5000mm and 4.4kg (other specs I'll post later) this figure alone is rarely quoted in tents within my budget the footprint of this tent seems massive for a two man and the space is really useable, Not unlike the Omega in many aspects but just seemed better quality this was enough for me to decide on this for my next tent so off home I go £135.00 lighter.
Well today I thought I'd better have a test pitch prior to our Peil Island meet at the end of this month .......so here goes.........Oh......no pegs! bugger, right so an hour and a half later I'd been and swapped it at Go Outdoors and was ready to go.....again.... Not much to report really 20 minutes to erect, Typical of all other tunnel tents I'd pitched before it, made easier by colour coding poles and tent, This is supposed to be a "flysheet first" type pitching but in reality it looks like it would pitch as one, I've left the bedroom in place anyway so we'll see at Peil Island:confused:

So far? I'm pleased with my choice, If this tent lasts as well as my old Beta then I'll have no complaints. All in all it looks like I've managed to shave over 3kg from my luggage without too much compromise on space:thumbup:

And before anyone mentions it yes I know I havn't tensioned it, this pitch was just to familierise myself with the tent.

Attributes

Berth:2
Bedrooms:1
Doors:1
Height (cm):105.00
Length (cm):255.00
Width (cm):120.00
Flysheet Hydrostatic Head (mm):5000
Weight (kg):4.40
Pack Size (cm):57 x 17 x 16
Bedroom Dimensions (cm):140 x 215 x 110
Pitching Order:Outer First
Pole Style:Alloy

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
The easy way to save weight would be go on a diet Chubbs :D:D:D:D

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Russ,
That looks to be a nice bit of kit but what we all really want to know.................is it soundproof? ;):)

Andy.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Russ,
That looks to be a nice bit of kit but what we all really want to know.................is it soundproof? ;):)

Andy.
Will be when he's on the other side of the Island and downwind of us all :D

Nice tent btw :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Attributes

Height (cm):105.00Length (cm):120.00
Width (cm):255.00

Thats a very short tent ! ''120cm'' ,is that where they have saved the wieght:thumbup:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
sod the tent

sod the sarcasm

sod the forum

I just want to be that ball in bob's avatar!!!!!!!!!

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Don't take it to heart DC, you know we are only joking........you hope. :confused::D:D

Andy.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a very short tent ! ''120cm'' ,is that where they have saved the wieght:thumbup:
I suppose so yes, but having climbed about in it, it didn't seem to restricting, I'm 6" 1' and it was copable for me, The Vango Omega 250 has the same height and the Coleman Phad 3 is only 115cm so I'm assuming for a 2 berth tent its not an unusual height

·
2,701 Posts
Attributes

Height (cm):105.00Length (cm):120.00
Width (cm):255.00

Yes it is very short . . . but it makes up for that by being very WIDE ( 255cm ) :thumbleft:

Just have to sleep sideway's. :rolleyes:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry only just noticed the Length and Width were the wrong way round :confused:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Vango Sprit 200+ about 13 feet long only weighs (hold on i'll weigh it )
6 Lbs ,it has support bracing inside for combating the strongest winds and goes up and packs in 5 minutes.

Best thing about it was I got it for nowt :thumbup:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vango Sprit 200+ about 13 feet long only weighs (hold on i'll weigh it )
6 Lbs ,it has support bracing inside for combating the strongest winds and goes up and packs in 5 minutes.

Best thing about it was I got it for nowt :thumbup:
Did look at the spirit, but decided that by the time I'd added a ground sheet for the porch the weight would be back up there with the rest of them, 2.9kg plus maybe 0.5 to 1.0kg for the ground sheet, then there was the price...around £200 and the fly sheet had a hydrostatic head rating of 3000 which yes is perfectly sufficient put the North Ridge offered 5000 and built in groundsheet in the porch at nearly £70 less.......I suppose only time will tell if I made the right choice :thumbup: mind you if someone was gonna give me one for free it would be the Vango Spirit everytime.......free takes some beating:rolleyes:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Free is hard to beat indeed...

Though I'm pretty chuffed with my catch, even if it is a bit on the large side.

Hilleberg Keron 4GT, second hand in perfect nick, for 200 euro. :)

Pack size is surprisingly reasonable for a 5 m long tent, and if it turns out to be too big for me I'll just sell it for, oh, about double what I got it for. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Wife just asked me a question .............................I did'nt anwser...........................I just played the .....video of that guy snoring .............................well done that man:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts