Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers
248 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Today I had the privilege of being the 4th person I think 10:20 in Blackburn to take the Part one module of the new test on an er500,

Okay, so I am lead in to a massive cage with loads of cones set everywhere, its raining and the examiner Tony asks am I ready, and shows me on a piece of paper what I have to do, then asks me to pull into the green cones set out, its called the garage ;) so I have to push it back from one garage to another next to it , easy,, job done, yeh phew the last lad got a minor cos of this he did do it wrong :(

Then I have to slalom some yellow cones, then figure 8 twice through two two blue ones at the end, this was easier than I thought, my tip don't hug the cones this is what seemed to be causing a problem for the people before me, causing them to dab a foot down,
slowly like a geriatric snail I crawl around the blue cones twice, don't worry if you loose count he will signal you:thumb: and pull up next to him, I don't believe it I made it with out putting a foot down yeh yeh.

Okay so next he tells me to follow the red cones around the top end of the area, in a big semi circle and I must be doing a minimum of 30 kph in the area, then I must accelerate to above 50 kph and be doing that as I go through the speed trap then go between the blue cones off set to the right, and then come to a stop in the blue cone area.. okay I think sounds easy, swerve enough cars on my commute home,

So I set off quietly confident, around the semicircle and accelerate up to the speed trap, baz through it swerve and then stop, yeh sorted that felt fast enough but due to the rain took it poss a little too slow,so then its the u turn next omg how easy,you could have turned small plane around in it.

So then he tells me he is going to walk along and he wants me to follow him and stay behind his clipboard , so off we set at walking speed and 7 meters later yeh made it no problems no foot down result.

Next is the 50kph emergency stop,:( same start route as the swerve but carry straight on and watch for the hand going up, it still raining at this point, so I go up around the bend then gave it a hand full, through the speed trap the hand goes up, and stop with no skid and plenty of room I really impressed myself.

Then he tells me on the emergency stop I was doing 69kph, but on the swerve I only got 49kph and I needed 50kph, he asks "would I like another try", of course I would I don't want to fail that way and I do get two chances,
so off I go give it my all and bump felt the cone lightly touch the outside of my right foot, crap I knew it was a fail, he gave me that look, you know the one your Dad gives you, when you don't win at school sports day, I went through it at 46kph, yes poss a little fast I know :D but I wanted to be sure, what a school boy error.

He sat me down in the office told me I had failed, but I rode faultless apart from the contact with the cone and he was very sorry and hopes to see me again :hitler: But I was the fastest so far through the gate on a the emergency stop.

How ever guys n gals, don't let any of this put you off as it really is not that hard, just practice slow speed manoeuvres, and the u turn is wider than most roads, no kerbs just two white lines so it is alot easier..

So now I have to wait 3 days before I can retest, which i will be doing on my baby dero.

So good luck and keep it shinnyside up:thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well done at doing so well. :thumbup:

Sounds like you were just a tiny bit unlucky on the day. All in all far harder than in the 'olden days' when I passed! :D

Good luck for next time. :thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The riding along beside the examiner I remember doing on my test but it was on the road.
The cone stuff I did with the RAC school before the CBT became law.

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
The riding along beside the examiner I remember doing on my test but it was on the road.
The cone stuff I did with the RAC school before the CBT became law.
the old part 1 & 2 test with examiners who stood at the side of the road and watched you you ride round the block..
them were the days

:D:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Good luck Critch, sounds like you have the skills :thumbright:

·
Registered
70 Posts
dont feel too bad, I work in a bike shop and out of the 10 that took the mod 1 test last week only 5 got through...all of the fails were on the speed section of the swerve, 4 were on 125cc bikes and failed to hit the speed, in 2 cases by 1kph..the only 500cc fail was by clipping the cone..
see if the mod 2 tests next week are any better..

I guess it could be worse, did you read about the bikers that fell off during their mod 1 tests? it was in the bad weather on the monday, 1 broke an arm..

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Congratulations Critch.:thumbup:

T

·
0 Posts
Well done.

I'm doing mine this Sunday 14th June on a Vara 125.... any tips? I'll be doing lifesavers but wasn't planning on indicating.... any thoughts?

T

·
0 Posts
If anyone's interested I passed with zero faults.

Mod 2 on Tuesday, any tips? Specifically speed cushions - go around or go over slowly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts