1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great aint it, a 17 year old who passes there car test, can drive anything, and they say young drivers are more likley to crash in the first couple of years. The buggers just want to ban bikers but hide behind "safty"
i say we all stand together and BURN OUR BRA'S

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Great aint it, a 17 year old who passes there car test, can drive anything, and they say young drivers are more likley to crash in the first couple of years. The buggers just want to ban bikers but hide behind "safty"
i say we all stand together and BURN OUR BRA'S
Totally agree with you (apart from the bra bit :toothy9:), we are a dying breed, in 30 years time there will be no more motorcyclists :(

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Totally agree with you (apart from the bra bit :toothy9:), we are a dying breed, in 30 years time there will be no more motorcyclists :(
I agree with that, but also have to question the ability of some of the instructors. If they can't do a swerve at 30mph without falling off have they really got enough experience to teach kids. It was instructors complaining about the test being to hard

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
I agree with that, but also have to question the ability of some of the instructors. If they can't do a swerve at 30mph without falling off have they really got enough experience to teach kids. It was instructors complaining about the test being to hard
It's not that, of course Instuctors can do the swerve. Motorcycle instructors are trained to a high level and well qualified, most like myself ride loads of miles every year on road and many ride off road at weekends for fun as well

The problem is that the harder you make it, the more it puts people off taking the test. The public perception right now is that it is very difficult and expensive to pass the bike test. In January, it will be even more so.
I have been in the bike training Industry for over 20 years and employ 8 Instructors. As the years go by and the DSA/Government make things more difficult, so the numbers of people taking the test drop. This year has been the toughest ever in the training industry and next year will be a lot worse, many schools will not survive......you watch.:(

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Buellie;638064 The problem is that the harder you make it said:
So going on that perception your saying make the test easier so more people can go on the road quicker and easier and a risk accident because they have not been shown or tested on a basic manouvre that could save there life just to save a few quid on the test.

I have mates i race with that have there own training business and my wife is using them now, i agree it's too expensive but just adding more costs to it won't solve anything they need to restructure the whole thing from the start not just keep adding bits to it when they feel like to keep more revenue coming in. I don't beleive it's any harder now than it ever has been it's just far more drawn out and long winded which incure more cost as they seem to be splitting a decent test and making more tests out of that original test so they can get more revenue and money at the same time ripping more people off

http://www.cambornemotorcycletraining.co.uk/
That's my friends family business that my wife is using curently

I can't argue over this as when i did my test 20years ago the CBT was £50 lasted a morning and covered everything that my wife is now doing in her MOD 1 test now. Three months before my 17th birthday i booked in for my test and had it just after my birthday it p**ed down all day in Penzance the instructor said it was too wet to keep out too long as the sea was breaking over the sea wall so i had a short ride with basic manouvres then brought me in early and gave me double highway code and i passed and the test cost £28.

I've gone out with the wife a few times to practise bits for the MOD 1 and the distances they give are rediculously big for a test so i've made here do them in a lot smaller distances like the figure 8 around cones again quite a big distance i've used 4 car park spaces in a supermarket car park ( 2 long x 2 wide) plenty enough room and if she can do it on tighter dimensions then there will be no problems on test day. If the tests are made that easy that they more or less quarantee a pass, whats the point? All the course bikes have good brakes, light controls, good steering lock. Which again just prooves it's more a monr=ey making scam than a test. In the same kind of way kids can come out of school quite thick but with decent grades as they don't get tested on very much as most of it is course work based now

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
No I am not saying make it easier far from it, just restucture it so the public do not think it is a minefield to cross.

Bike test....CBT, Theory,mod1, mod 2. Choose DAS, A1 or A2.

Car test....theory, practical..job done.

Which one if you knew very little..... sounds easy and straightforward?

·
Registered
168 Posts
No I am not saying make it easier far from it, just restucture it so the public do not think it is a minefield to cross.

Bike test....CBT, Theory,mod1, mod 2. Choose DAS, A1 or A2.

Car test....theory, practical..job done.

Which one if you knew very little..... sounds easy and straightforward?
You can still take a CBT course and ride a motorcycle on 'L' Plates without any previous road experience, and I think I'm right that statistics still point to the majority of new riders having an accident year 1.

A learner car diver can't get out on their own with less than half a day of driving experience.

The rule changes satisfy the need for the new motorcyclist to have a higher skill level than they ever have before, and quite rightly require younger riders to upgrade their license over time.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 25 years, and I am still shocked by the poor quality riding on display when the weather is fair and middle aged born again riders hit the roads. This is a group of riders who have held their license for years, or took direct access, for me the new rules should apply to everybody taking a test, irrespective of age, that's where skill and awareness will really improve.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
You can still take a CBT course and ride a motorcycle on 'L' Plates without any previous road experience, and I think I'm right that statistics still point to the majority of new riders having an accident year 1.

A learner car diver can't get out on their own with less than half a day of driving experience.
I don't know where these statistics about the kids having all the accidents comes from, in experience down here all the ones getting killed and having serious accidentsare middle aged or born again bikers. I'm not hearing down here or reading in the local papers about 16,17,18,19,20,21 year olds having smashes very often but the middle aged brigade do come up quite frequently

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know where these statistics about the kids having all the accidents comes from, in experience down here all the ones getting killed and having serious accidentsare middle aged or born again bikers. I'm not hearing down here or reading in the local papers about 16,17,18,19,20,21 year olds having smashes very often but the middle aged brigade do come up quite frequently
I think that's the point I was making Jasonbc, the new test progression should apply to all riders, irrespective of age.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I think that's the point I was making Jasonbc, the new test progression should apply to all riders, irrespective of age.
i'm not sure i understand your point? It doesn't matter if your 17 or 70 if you want to take your test the rules are the same for all age groups

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Having posted the above a couple hours ago ITV westcountry news just gave out young lad in Paignton (if memory serves me) was killed at 2am this morning.
Rider was from Buckfast and is now a murder investigation, 37 year old from Paignton arrested

·
Registered
168 Posts
i'm not sure i understand your point? It doesn't matter if your 17 or 70 if you want to take your test the rules are the same for all age groups
Jasonbc, please read the new motorcycle test rules. The category of license you can test for is age dependent, so at 24 plus you can still do CBT, Theory, Mod1, Mod2(Direct Access) younger riders can take their test, but will be restricted , unlike the old system, where they would get an upgrade from 33bhp restricted to full license after 2 years, they will now have to take another test on a higher capacity/ higher powered machine.

You seem to have not read my original post correctly. Almost all NEW riders will have an accident year 1 of riding, not YOUNG riders.

Though YOUNG riders still lack road awareness compared to 'Born Again Riders' who may lack many road miles on motorcycles but who often have 2+ decades of experience of driving.

Older riders, 39-50, have the second highest death rate after 20-29.

Put that in context though, 17-21 still have the highest accident rate, though as they are predominantly accidents in urban areas, on scooters or light motorcycles, the severity of injury is lower.

The higher age bracket Born Again is typically on a high powered sports or touring bike losing control at 60+ mph, fatality rate much higher.

Sadly motorcycle training often forgets to spend too much time discussing the most important piece of safety equipment you own, and teaching you how to use it..... That thing between your ears.

The Police should directly involved in training again, as they used to when tests were booked through the police. The Police system of Motorcycle control is all about planning.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the point is, Jason, that a lot of the back to biking group have licences that were gained when the test wasn't much more demanding than riding round the block. I think the point being made is that all riders should have to pass to the same standard as is being required of new riders.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I think the point is, Jason, that a lot of the back to biking group have licences that were gained when the test wasn't much more demanding than riding round the block. I think the point being made is that all riders should have to pass to the same standard as is being required of new riders.
I agree with you, but the principles of motorcycling and bike riding never change whether the test was done in the 1920's or today but the roads have got busier and the bikes more powerful which is what the main reason for the midlife brigade being envolved in more serious accidents as the bike they were riding 20 years ago were primitive compared to whats on the market now. jumping of a Cb750 in 76 and jumping on a Hayabusa without getting any training in between is the reason. So what the solution everybody to rest every 5 years ????????????

As i said (i believe on page 1 of this thread) my wife done here test within the last 12mths and did more tests than i ever did, but the test have all been dragged out and dumbed down like most tests these to enable 2 things. 1 the goverment to make more money out of it, and to make the pass rate look higher.

The same reason teachers don't want to go back to tests as coursework the kids get A & B grades give them an end of term or year test they will get D or E grade which will make the teachers look incompetant and useless

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with you, but the principles of motorcycling and bike riding never change whether the test was done in the 1920's or today but the roads have got busier and the bikes more powerful which is what the main reason for the midlife brigade being envolved in more serious accidents as the bike they were riding 20 years ago were primitive compared to whats on the market now. jumping of a Cb750 in 76 and jumping on a Hayabusa without getting any training in between is the reason. So what the solution everybody to rest every 5 years ????????????

As i said (i believe on page 1 of this thread) my wife done here test within the last 12mths and did more tests than i ever did, but the test have all been dragged out and dumbed down like most tests these to enable 2 things. 1 the goverment to make more money out of it, and to make the pass rate look higher.

The same reason teachers don't want to go back to tests as coursework the kids get A & B grades give them an end of term or year test they will get D or E grade which will make the teachers look incompetant and useless
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

When you get back to Earth do get back to us..

·
Registered
130 Posts
I passed my test 12 mths ago and I found that even the test was aimed at getting to the speed limit as quickly as possible, my instructor (who has gone out of business due to lack of pupils by the way) said I could go slower once I passed my test but if I didn't do 40 in a 40 50 in a 50 and 60 in a 60 I would not pass. After I passed I wrote to dvla and said this and they came back with "when safe to do so" of course.
I do not think tests have never taught people how to drive or ride but it is harder to pass now than it ever was and if we are not carefull we will be the last bike ridding generation.
We are in charge of the throttle and that is the end of it! I have to say I have been looking for the next level of training and it is very exspensive. I am looking at AIM as the cheapest way to get more training and maybe this may be the way forward for new riders:cool:.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I passed my test 12 mths ago and I found that even the test was aimed at getting to the speed limit as quickly as possible, my instructor (who has gone out of business due to lack of pupils by the way) said I could go slower once I passed my test but if I didn't do 40 in a 40 50 in a 50 and 60 in a 60 I would not pass. After I passed I wrote to dvla and said this and they came back with "when safe to do so" of course.
I do not think tests have never taught people how to drive or ride but it is harder to pass now than it ever was and if we are not carefull we will be the last bike ridding generation.
We are in charge of the throttle and that is the end of it! I have to say I have been looking for the next level of training and it is very exspensive. I am looking at AIM as the cheapest way to get more training and maybe this may be the way forward for new riders:cool:.
You could start with a pass plus, or diamond rider at a good training centre.

If the Police run a BikeSafe course in your area that is the very best experience to benchmark your current riding skill and improve your hazard perception.

The speed limit is the maximum, not the target, and it's up to you to deceive if the conditions require restraint, from my experience I'm not riding to my skill level on poor conditions, I'm riding to the likely skill level of the other road users I may encounter.

It strikes me the training school you used went out of business for a reason!!

Good luck with your further training, were ever it takes you it will help keep you safer.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.