Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just purchased a 1989/90 Transalp with 80,000km plus on the odo in Beirut, Lebanon. I great bike for the roads and conditions we have here. I am in love with this thing.
Its not my first bike, so i have questions as to what is supposed to be and what is not. I have certain issues that I would like to get more info on, and some issues I cant find anything online about.
Ill just list my issues and concerns and if anyone has any insight please chime in.

-How can i be certain what year the bike is manufactured?
-Temp gauge sits around middle when bike is cold, and goes past the H before the fan turns on. So its just misadjusted. and way to calibrate? or is something dodgey with the switch or gauge itself?
-Speedo and Tach do not work. Checked speedo cable and it turns OK. Switched the CDIs around and the bike wouldn't start.
-When in 1st or 5th gear, I can still move the shifter either down or up past 1st and 5th. Other bikes I've owned when in 1st gear lets say, I cant move the shifter further down, its locked. In my case it can be pressed down but obviously there no gear there.
-Bike will start when in gear and stand is down. Is there a switch for these models?

Every other issue i have encountered i have found information about.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont know much about the early Transalp. I can only comment comparing with my XL700-VA 9. 2009.
The fan on the 09, comes on at 1001/2 deg. & remains on until it drops .
The side stand has an inhibitor switch which stops the motor if you engage a gear with the side stand down. Maybe yours has a faulty switch , if one is fitted. Mine will start in gear , with the clutch in.
I would Imagine the early ones are similar.
I cant comment on the other issues.
Good luck.

·
Registered
767 Posts
To get the year of manufacture you'll need the VIN number and enter it here

Download the service manual PDF or get a printed Haynes manual, and do a service / follow the cooling system troubleshooting guide.

Has the engine been apart and gearbox ressembled in the past? - what did the previous owner tell you about its history and why the gearbox is working oddly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To get the year of manufacture you'll need the VIN number and enter it here

Download the service manual PDF or get a printed Haynes manual, and do a service / follow the cooling system troubleshooting guide.

Has the engine been apart and gearbox ressembled in the past? - what did the previous owner tell you about its history and why the gearbox is working oddly.
Was sold at a showroom so they didnt have much info from previous owner. not 100% sure, but im guessing the engine must of been worked on at one point in its 80k km life. Ill check the service manual. Thanks for the response. Where can I find the vin? ?I have the frame serial number, but its been repainted to alot of the information stickers are gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know much about the early Transalp. I can only comment comparing with my XL700-VA 9. 2009.
The fan on the 09, comes on at 1001/2 deg. & remains on until it drops .
The side stand has an inhibitor switch which stops the motor if you engage a gear with the side stand down. Maybe yours has a faulty switch , if one is fitted. Mine will start in gear , with the clutch in.
I would Imagine the early ones are similar.
I cant comment on the other issues.
Good luck.
Thats what i tought about the switch then starting doubting if it had any at all. Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi...It is right out in the open, no stripping to get too..as you say it maybe covered in paint..feel for the rivets each end if it's there...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

the temp gauge will sit in the middle until it starts getting really hot

yes, the gear lever will move below 1st and above 5th, but that's normal

if you switched the CDIs around and it does not start this would suggest one CDI could be faulty, this is also confirmed by the rev counter not working

more info here:

haynes manual here:

honda workshop manual here:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 165386

the temp gauge will sit in the middle until it starts getting really hot

yes, the gear lever will move below 1st and above 5th, but that's normal

if you switched the CDIs around and it does not start this would suggest one CDI could be faulty, this is also confirmed by the rev counter not working

more info here:

haynes manual here:

honda workshop manual here:

Thank you so much. The Vin plate has been removed before repaint and never put back it seems! Not a good sign.
The temp gauge sits in the middle before I fire up the engine. the middle is zero. and found the water pump leaking today.
Im getting the cdi/rev counter issue looked at Monday
Poor bike hasn't been babied...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the most common source of clunking noise coming from the front. Did a quick check of the head bearing and it seems ok. Light is properly mounted, dash bounces around slightly but not enough to produce the clunk i hear over bumps. Front suspension feels ok too. Anyone run into this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
Regarding the temp gauge starting off the in middle, seems like when the P.O changed the broken needle and didn't set it up correctly. Opened up the gauge and corrected it and now it seems normal, fan kicking in around the mid way mark.
RMP's not working was a faulty gauge, even tough i might still have a faulty CDI. Now the RMPs dont seem accurate and I don't know if its got to do with the CDI.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
the RPM gauge takes its feed from one of the CDI, usually it works, or it doesn't.

although CDI faults can manifest some strange intermittent symptoms

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now the RPM needle is broken, so its short, and i'm guessing that's contributing to it being inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
and

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and

Saw this thread but they didn't mention a rebuild unless I missed it. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The fan should kick in at a temperature reading of 102 deg & stay on til the temp drops to below 102. It's a good idea , in cold weather to make the fan cut in now & again to prevent seizure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts