Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

I'm a newbie from North Wales

I've just bought a really manky XL600R (RMG I think - still trying to figure out what the differences are). The initial idea was to tidy it up a bit and ride it as-is, but now I've got my mucky paws on it I can feel a major rebuild coming on.

I'm new to these bikes (but fairly familiar with the RFVC engine) so you may have to excuse my barrage of dumb-arse questions for the foreseeable future.

So, the first of many...

My carbs are knackered, completely fubar, beyond redemption. I'm pondering the possibility of swapping them out for a single carb set-up. I'm thinking a manifold and carb from an XBR500 or somesuch might be viable and an easy fit. Any thoughts?

How about a Dommie or an SLR? Are they single carb? Has anybody tried this with any success?

Cheers all,

Dave

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
Well, SLR and Domi are indeed single carbs. Personally I do like the two-carb setup... it's so effective.
If you went for a single-carb setup you would need to do something about the air intake. Otherwise, I don't see major problems.
But it should be possible to find a non-fubar set of carbs, I think...

Congrats on the 'new' bike! I love my 1986 XL600R. It schlepped me all around the Sahara, so do be careful... you never know where these bikes end up taking you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As it happens, I've just ordered a 2nd hand set of standard carbs. They were really cheap but the bloke said they came off a running bike so we'll see what happens, There are bits I can scavenge off my old set if necessary.

XBR500 carb looks like a bad idea, they're selling for silly money at the moment. Just seen a 2nd hand one go on Ebay for £100 :eek:

Apart from the carbs my XL is mechanically sound but cosmetically it's really stinky. It's at work at the moment but I'll do some photos when I get it home. I want to do the before-and-after thing with the rebuild.

Exhaust next, I'm thinking about a Marving but may need to source some decent headers too. I'm not sure how solid mine are under all the crap.

Cheers,
Dave

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
if you check out the Thumper website their is a few posts on mods and fixes carried out on the old XL600r's
I'm in a similar boat to you, doing some background work before I pick my new beast (Buggy) up this sunday.
Happy days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts