Honda XRV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Wood Camera accessory Auto part Machine Hardwood

Here you can see one of the plugs they insert to protect internals from over spray. I'll drop it back when I go back.

Wood Circuit component Font Electronic component Electronic device

Leg Bicycle part Wood Hardwood Font

So pleased with these. I've dropped off my kick stand for powdercoating and the fork tubes and swing arm for ceracoating, as I'd liike to see how the swing arm fares especially.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Gas Automotive lighting City Machine Auto part

and the sub assemblies start with the lights. Love this part of the process!

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Bicycle fork

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Bumper

All the fasters came up just fine with a clean...although I had to use stainless washers on the adjusters! I can't help myself, especially when I have various sizes to hand (many past projects).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Somew more progress this week, as I've been able to ick up some more parts from True Fusion, plus have the bearings and seals for the swing arm now. After a decidedly cold ride on Thursday, I'd had enough of the cold, so back to the garage.

Engineering Motor vehicle Scale model Auto part Urban design

Swing arm cerakoted and ready for bearings and seals

Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory Bumper Font Auto part

Threaded M12 bar, nits and thick washers plus a selection of sockets were my installation tools here.

Gas Engineering Cable Auto part Metal

Luckily, some of by sockets were perfect for this!

Circuit component Gas Rectangle Cylinder Electronic component

This one was perfect for the needle bearings. the tape indicates 6mm, as the correct depth from the manual, as you can see here:

Plumbing Tool Gas Cable Hand tool

Fluid Bicycle part Rim Material property Gas

Tool Wood Gas Engineering Metalworking hand tool

Getting there!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

New screws here..the plates are getting re plated..if that makes sense!

Engineering Wood Gas Urban design Machine

All done with new seals....now to find somewhere safe to put it...ended up under a car on cardboard in my garage.

Next up, the suspension linkage, which followed the same process..slow and steady going though

Revolver Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part Gun accessory

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Green Gas Font Plastic wrap Transparency

Lots of seals and bearings

Bicycle part Metal Metalworking hand tool Gas Auto part

Similar process

Calipers Tool Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Auto part

Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part Wire stripper

Looking good!

Gas Wood Auto part Metal Circle

and with seals

Hand tool Bicycle part Tool Metalworking hand tool Gas

Wood Household hardware Bicycle part Auto part Metal

The collars were in really good condition, so these were re used before the seals went in.

As I had time, calipers next

Font Auto part Fashion accessory Transparency Starting pistol

Rear first

Sunglasses Automotive tire Table Material property Goggles

Gas Auto part Circle Metal Personal protective equipment

red rubber grease in place...will hopefully preserve the rubber and the alloy around them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ingredient Drink Liquid Mouse Packaging and labeling

as the whole brake system is being renewed, I'm using Dot 5...might be controversial, but I've used it without issue in the past.

Plastic bag Machine Auto part Fashion accessory Wood

New blled nipple and cap in place, just to keep things clean

Personal protective equipment Auto part Plastic bag Fashion accessory Metal

Bottle Fluid Yellow Liquid Handwriting

Same process on the fronts

Luggage and bags Purple Bag Personal protective equipment Auto part

Personal protective equipment Auto part Gas Bullet Metal

White Light Blue Green Black

Almost ready to go...have the various clips, but no pads as yet. Will probably go for Honda pads.
Gas Machine Font Engineering Auto part

Various bits so far.

Next up, master cylinders

World Font Grass Games Machine
Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Audio equipment Automotive lighting

and I did fit a new window and this thingy as well..along with my installation tool!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Bicycle part Cylinder Gun accessory Nickel Trigger

Bicycle part Composite material Bumper Nickel Wind instrument

An these two bits of loveliness turned up from Italy. Weight wise, 1.720kg for the headers, 2.910kg for the silencer. these came from Motorbike adventure:

The manager manager, Emanuele Chiari, was extremely helpful with tracking numbers, even though getting this from Arrow took some time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Some progress, I've had loads of nuts and bolts vapour blasted. Picked them up and went straight to the platers.

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

So this lot will be zinc plated. The whole process will have cost me around £160. It's a lot of work to plate this lot, but it will all look like new. Some of the brackets will get painted afterwards though, so the plating is additional protection.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Having clearly adopted the 'in for a penny, in for a pound' approach, these will be vapour blasted and I'll etch prime and paint at home.

Other news, my frame etc is done at Windridge coatings, so I'll pick that up tomorrow afternoon!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Enjoying this thread. Re. fitting of bearings, do you freeze them prior to fitting?
The bearings went in fine with jut some light lubricant...acf 50 in this case, but anything would have done...3 in 1 oil, whatever you have around really. I didn't freeze them, but may have thought about doing that if they didn't slide in fairly easily. Compared to the effort it took to get the old ones out, these were easy..just a little time consuming. Ensuring they started off straight was slightly tricky and I found that tightening the nut that was not on the socket pushing the bearing into place was more reliable at keeping everything true.
Tool Font Metalworking hand tool Auto part Handwriting

So tighten the highlighted nut while spanner on the other end was braced against the work surface. You can see the socket isn't quite lined up, so that was re adjusted, especially as the bearing got close to the linkage

I've done solid bushings before..these are pretty big compared to these bearings, so they definitely go into the freezer the night before. Whether this actually helps, I'm not sure. You have to be petty quick, as anything you freeze soon warms up when you start to insert it into something else much warmer. There is not a lot of thickness to the bearings outer casings, so I don't think freezing would have helped hugely. The bushings I have done (for traction bars in a leaf spring eye) were around 2 inches long and had a wall thickness of around 1/2 an inch, so a substantial amount of material there..and very unyielding, so I thought worth a try. I'm not hugely experienced in any of this, so this is just what I have found, so I can't say freezing won't help..but in the case of these bearings, they went in just fine!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I've had loads of stuff plated in te past..but it's normally been just a few larger bits and pieces...so wanted a way to track the parts..so made up sheets and took pictures like this.

Photograph White Wrench Bicycle part Tool

It all works just fine..in my head' I'll let you know how the system works out. Originally, these all went into bags and labelled to keep track of things. Especially handy when there could be ahem 'significant time' between assembly and disassembly. It should not be the case this time, but I've found taking pictures of stuff before disassembly helps hugely...but even then, in the past I've asked mates with the same car 'could you just take a picture of how this goes'...as when you take things apart, it's so tempting to think 'yea, it's obvious how that goes' A year later.no, not a clue :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Bit of an update, we have a frame! I collected this from Windridge coatings, along with the rear subframe, rear brake pedal and tank mount bracket.and centre stand. Had to have a quick look!

Product Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle frame

And here at home. Very pleased with this!

Somewhat less pleased that I didn't specifically ask for the splines of my brake pedal to be masked!

Plant Tree Bumper Tool Bicycle part

Black Camera accessory Tints and shades Rectangle Gas

So this will have to be carefully stripped....so learn from my mistake, don't do this!

Metal Wood Wire Automotive exterior Bag

So as the weather is getting better, thought I would clean the engone. It runs sweetly. Other than servicing it, I won't do much...but might refurbish the two side covers...and if the bodywork is delayed, I'll probably do that.

Membranophone Motor vehicle Automotive design Drum Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Drumhead Engineering

Motor vehicle Engineering Machine Auto part Automotive tire

Gear Bicycle part Gas Machine Screw

Output shaft looks good and no play in the output shaft bearing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Removed exhaust sealing rings...reconned it would be a lot easier now than later..one had ben leaking a little anyway.

Eyewear Hood Automotive design Red Material property

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Muffler Automotive lighting

Slightly scratched the mating surface...which annoyed me...nothing serious.

and some frame parts I primed and painted with Smoothrite...they have come out ok, but could be better. I'll let them cure and see what I think..it might have been too cold to paint.

And fisrt part fitted to the frame! (every journey has a first step!)

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive design

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
575 Posts
Maybe een705 means the splines on the brake pedal? Those on the output shaft look reasonable-ish. As a compare, here's the splines on my 14k bike, taken when I renewed the C&S last year....
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black Motor vehicle Rim

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
575 Posts
I think I may have to get a spare output shaft 'just in case', albeit my splines are all good. I put it down to the commonly held belief of using OEM front sprockets and keeping the chain slack enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yep, maybe een705 did mean my pedal splines...I have the opposite problem there! :D

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Rim

Hmm.yours are significantly better than mine. When I bought the bike, the chain was too tight and there was a newish aftermarket sprocket. The bike had done around 46k miles.

There is a lot of play for my liking though...especially now it's all clean! I'm really tempted to strip it, as the engine is out anyway. I'll give Rugged Roads a call and see what gaskets they have etc!

41 - 60 of 87 Posts