Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi People , Just got my mits on a P reg bike with 32k on it. It's been off the road since 2006 when it was dropped: the damage was to the tank, fairings and screen. Now I've already been onto Paul from SFX wheels he is going to sort the hubs and rims out in black and lace them up with HD stainless spokes :).

Next is, while they're away the rear end will come out and get a good clean throughout, along with a longer shock hoof. This should raise the rear a bit. Need to source or find a pic of some fork extentions thus raising the front as well.

'Im going to remove the exhaust system, blast that and paint it in heat proof paint. Also, I might wrap it as well. I'm after putting another can on to make it sound as it should. Where do I find the link pipe from the original system to an after market can?? Im going to put some oil down the bores later and let it sit there for a few days before I get a battery then turn it over without the plugs and see how we go.

Ive been onto a graphics company: they have got some for the twin. Hopefully mine is there, very reasonable as well.

Really it needs a very good clean with the old Gunk and tooth brush and the odd splattering of powder coated parts and some goodies from Overlander.com. Will update as I do bits and bobs.

well here goes :-D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take the OEM fuel pump off and throw it as hard as you can - then get a Facet from Rugged Roads.
That'll save you some time and money :toothy10:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All ready had a new pump , not the Facet one thou also the Facet ones are on Fleabay for £20 less :happy6:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
All ready had a new pump , not the Facet one thou also the Facet ones are on Fleabay for £20 less :happy6:
That £20 is money well spent with rugged roads as everything you need will be in the box

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well got all the body work of tonight and coated it with 2 cans of Gunk and showed it the pressure washer , its really not that bad now its sort of clean :-D

The cases need taking off and blasting and powder coating as do the rads and the foot peg hangers and other odds and sods. The wheels are off now and they will be going to SFX for treatment :-D so while there away the swingarm will be removed along with the shock , both will be cleaned and the hoof on the bottom of the shock will be going to the Jedi Master for fettling :thumbup:.

Owe yes what size are the spark plugs as i need them out to show the bores some oil for a bit before i get a battery ???

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well got a bit more done last night , removed the swingarm and the centre stand boy are they covered in grime but on the upside everything came off really easly. All the bearings in the swingarm and dog leg are fine and all these will need is a good clean and a
re-grease. I might get the bolts zinc coated as Protec are just down the road. :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is what 2 hours of TRF , gt80 , and brake cleaner does !!!

A bit of rubbin down 2m night then a coat of silver smooth Hammerite should look good , will take the centre stand and swingarm for cleaning 2m
after work. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
All your photos have gone. Have you moved them?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well a bit more this afternoon , painted one of the side covers on the bike , didnt want to remove it as it was more money for gaskets plus there is no leaks so we shall keep it that way. Pretty happy with the results :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looking really good

What did you use on the casings

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
good work shes coming back nicely :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here you go , its a wheel paint but not the bight in your face silver , i used high build primer and didn't rub it down , i put the paint in hot water for 10 min then sprayed it on thick just to the point of running , i did this 4 times.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Some clever thinking there

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Here you go , its a wheel paint but not the bight in your face silver ,
I used Halford's steel wheel paint and like yours it was a good match. Problem was ​a few weeks later I dripped some fuel on it and it immediately ran.

I ended up doing it again then giving it a coat of lacquer which gave it a glossier finish than I really wanted. Years on though and it's still good.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes i dont want the glare in your face cheep wheel silver so this is what i call dull wheel silver , its had 4 very thick coats so we
shall see :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was thinking of these top hats for the front forks , im going to make another rear hoof for the bottom of the shock to raise it up so this should raise the front ... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Yes i dont want the glare in your face cheep wheel silver so this is what i call dull wheel silver , its had 4 very thick coats so we
shall see :thumbup:
It might be worth checking somewhere out of sight now though. It was a single drip of fuel that splashed out while fuelling. By the time it had run down the case the petrol had left a trail and had itself turned into a blob of paint.

The whole thing was one drip and about 2 seconds.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts