Discussion Starter #1
Interesting...

Honda Africa Twin 'little brother' on the way | MCN

----
Honda Africa Twin 'little brother' on the way

Published: Today 13:38

Ke
nji Morita, Large Project Leader for the Africa Twin

The Honda Africa Twin is a well-balanced adventure bike that’s perfect for two-up travelling and the new Adventure Sports model has opened it up to even more hardcore endeavours.
It does have its drawbacks, however: it’s big, it’s heavy, it’s too powerful for riders with A2 licences and it’s also expensive. All of this is off-putting for younger riders and Honda know this, which is why they’re looking at something new.
If you want to ride an on-road/off-road Honda that’s A2-friendly you can choose from the CRF250L (and Rally), CB500X, NC750X, and NC800X but none of them are really an Africa Twin alternative. Honda have spotted this gap and intend to fill it.
“When we speak about pure adventure, we don’t have such a wide line up, says Kenji Morita, Large Project Large for the Africa Twin.
“And yes, we are thinking of putting a half-way model in to attract younger people. We will develop this bike, but it’s not something we are working on right now.”
Interesting, so what could Honda offer? The obvious engine choice for Honda would be the 750cc parallel twin from the NC750X (and X-ADV) as it’s an existing model with the right sort of power and it keeps Honda’s DCT dreams alive. However it’s unlikely Honda will increase the capacity on the standard model, which would place them very close together, so it’s possible Honda will create a new 650cc twin like the very first XRV650 Africa Twin.
A new 750cc adventure bike would put Honda right in the middle of the emerging middleweight adventure bike segment that includes the BMW F850GS and Tiger 800s but will soon include the Yamaha Ténéré 700 as well as the KTM 790 Adventure. Although the smaller Africa Twin will likely be down on power compared to the other four, it will be easier to ride and better suited to people new to the sport. This could be a shrewd move for Honda, as they’ll be keen to move the big bike out of the firing line of the new KTM 790 Adventure, with the CEO of KTM having expressly targeted the Africa Twin.
Although Honda say they’re not working on the smaller-capacity bike right now, we don’t think they’ll want to be left behind once all the new middleweights are out.
The next Tokyo Motor Show (where Japanese brands unveil their important new bikes) is in October 2019. The new Euro5 emissions targets also come into force in 2020, making it prime time for revealing new models, so we think this is as likely a date as any.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd love to see a mini AT. I'd've thought they could re work the CB500X quite easily. Rally Raid's version is supposed to be pretty versatile, but it's still a bit of a porker. I think adv riders want the moon on a stick: cruiser comfort for big stretches, trail bike agility, trials bike weight, moped frugality, sports bike performance, uber strength for carrying luggage and Dakar chic! Not too much to ask is it...?
My money would be on a 6 speed upgrade of CCM's GP adventure, with bigger displacement :teeth:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90% of adventure bike riders never really do any real off road riding

They need to make a crf700 transalp with abs and no other fancy electronic gizmos. Style it 'retro' like the 1987-1990 transalp and it will sell loads

I am convinced there is a big market for a simple adventure bike that is not ugly as hell (as the bmw gs1200 and tiger 800 are)

·
Registered
268 Posts
90% of adventure bike riders never really do any real off road riding

They need to make a crf700 transalp with abs and no other fancy electronic gizmos. Style it 'retro' like the 1987-1990 transalp and it will sell loads

I am convinced there is a big market for a simple adventure bike that is not ugly as hell (as the bmw gs1200 and tiger 800 are)
I guess it's horses for courses...just because you can take a Versys or Vstrom off road doesn't mean it's a particularly pleasant experience! By the same token, I wouldn't fancy a month long trans-european tour on KTM exc....having said that, I would've toured on a Honda Cub when I was a kid :teeth:
Personally, I don't mind the styling of the latest advs but I can't help feeling they'll date relatively quickly. The weight thing is the clincher for me. By the time they've added bells and whistles, you're looking at 200+ kgs. for anything with comfortable long distance touring potential.

I know I'm biased, but the mid nineties TA 600 styling still looks good to my eye...:thumb:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
now all the manufacturers are producing 'retro style' scramblers and bikes that look like they're from the 1970s ... the next logical step is to release bikes that look like they're from the late 1980s.

the transalp 600 design is at least 32 years old after all....

s-l300.jpg

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I use my 87 for VMCC events/runs as it age qualifies.
I would have thought the CB500X with Rally Raid ish mods could be the new Transalp, about the same power, not breaking into the market of other Honda models. Could be like the TA not best at anything but good at most things making it a good package, aim it below the 800's. Keep it simple but not budget A2 qualifying, less than 600 qualifies for cheaper UK tax and insurance?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no such thing as 'cheap' motorcycle insurance, given the increase in bike theft these days. every person i know has had their insurance quotes increase at least 50% at renewal time

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
no such thing as 'cheap' motorcycle insurance, given the increase in bike theft these days. every person i know has had their insurance quotes increase at least 50% at renewal time
Don't you reckon?
A made has a Fireblade insured for £80 yr comp by SAGA. sounds cheap to me.
I think mine is about £130 comp inc business use. Now compare the risk of potential payout the ins co may have to stand......
If vehicle insurance wasn't compulsory and you had to foot the bill (tens/hundreds of thousands, millions?) would you still buy it? I would.

Folks should stop moaning so much.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe it's just down here in London insurance is a nightmare

i imagine if you live 'in the sticks' and have your bike garaged insurance is pretty cheap

i pay £350 a year for a 2007 R1200RT and a 1994 Transalp. Third Party Fire & Theft only, bikes in front garden. full no claims bonus.

the other night a neighbour said he stopped two people with bolt croppers trying to nick my Transalp, which was chained to the lampost, under a cover. the first time anyone has tried nicking my Transalp in 13+ years of chaining it to lamposts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Is tpft cheaper? Whenever I've priced it, it's been more expensive than comp.
Wedged between Manc, L'pool/St Helens & Wigan, I'm hardly out in the sticks lol nor a desirable postcode, perhaps moreso than that there London town!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i remember getting some insanely high quotes for a new £11,000 africa two years ago. something in the region of £2,000 per year

·
Registered
268 Posts
i remember getting some insanely high quotes for a new £11,000 africa two years ago. something in the region of £2,000 per year
Is there still a premium for bikes sold 'darn sarf? Time was, cars and bikes were significantly cheaper to buy from the north, so I imagine insurance costs followed suit. No shortage of thieving scrotes in the North West, but I've yet to see hoardes of 'bikelife innit' hoods marauding around these dark satanic mills...

Although it's always disconcerting when some arsewipe tries to steal your property, it does stop you becoming complacent regards security....and those 'special' tools you may keep behind the front door ;)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
insurance is all based on postcode these days. anywhere in london is deemed "high risk", plus other "hot spots" around the country

1 - 16 of 16 Posts