1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just been looking this evening about new TA. It appears that Honda have re registered the Transalp name where they had let it expire so there is hope yet.

·
Hill Rider
3,123 Posts
If they do "do it" then its gotta be better than the CB500X regards ground clearance.

A nice parrallel twin with the offset 270 degree crank as per the CRF1000/1100 family would be nice (and NO, not the NC750X engine please).

And next to no electronic "gubbins" to boost the "street cred" as well as the price.

Now lets all sit back and wait to see what pops up out of the Honda catalogue.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has to sit somewhere in the honda range between the NC750X and the CRF1100

i too am hoping for a 80-ish horsepower 800cc-ish parallel twin with 270 crank with no electronic gubbins

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think manufacturers struggle to keep the rear cylinder cool enough in a v-twin, and maybe it takes up too much space in the frame? the parallel twin engines are more compact and more efficient i think

One of the main reasons why the Africa Twin is a parallel twin rather than a V-twin is that, according to Honda, a V-twin of the same size and output is physically too tall and too long to fit in the chassis that Honda decided would offer the best off-road capabilities. More to that point, longitudinally, the CRF1000L engine is the same length as Honda’s CBR500R engine. The Africa Twin has a 270 degree phased crank system. This, according to Honda, offers the traction and performance of a V-twin with a parallel twin format.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
parallel twins are easier /cheaper to manufacture than V twins single head and barrel components as opposed to two for V twin, plus all the above reasons.
But I do like V twins!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The Hornet ‘brand’ is as an affordable roadster – once again popular, as proven by the MT-07. Finally, Honda is expected to use the platform for a whole family of bikes, likely to include a new Transalp mid-range adventure bike in much the same way as Yamaha used the MT-07 as a base for Ténéré 700. So, expect there to be a junior version of Honda’s Africa Twin in the pipeline.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My greatest fear is that they do a typical 'Honda' and make it ~220 - 230kg ( which I'd lay good odds that they will ).
Tenere meanwhile is ~200kg.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
apart from the crf1000, honda seem to have lost their way a bit. eg crossrunner, crosstourer

it's going to have to be bloody good to beat the tenere 700

1 - 13 of 13 Posts