Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new tyres for the transalp. At the moment it has 90/90-21 M/C 54s Trailwing 47 front and 120/90-17 64s Avon on back, both I think are mainly off road.
All my riding is road in UK.
My question is this, I know i'm governed by the rim size, but what about the 90 and the 120 can these be bigger and so would they be any better or should I stick with these sizes.

Regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Front tire is 90mm width w/ 90 as pect ratio. The aspect ratio means the tire's height is 90% of the width. In your case, it ends up being 81mm. You need to keep the tire height id you go to a wider tire. Therefore, you could theorically fit a 100 width and 80 aspect ratio. That is if the rim can accept a slightly wider tire. The same applies at the rear.

120mm width and 90 aspect ratio leads to a 108mm tall tire. If you wanted wider and a 80 aspect ratio, then width could theorically be 135mm. So, you best choice is either 130mm or 140mm wide with 80 aspect ratio if your rim can take it.

Lee

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers
Front tire is 90mm width w/ 90 as pect ratio. The aspect ratio means the tire's height is 90% of the width. In your case, it ends up being 81mm. You need to keep the tire height id you go to a wider tire. Therefore, you could theorically fit a 100 width and 80 aspect ratio. That is if the rim can accept a slightly wider tire. The same applies at the rear.

120mm width and 90 aspect ratio leads to a 108mm tall tire. If you wanted wider and a 80 aspect ratio, then width could theorically be 135mm. So, you best choice is either 130mm or 140mm wide with 80 aspect ratio if your rim can take it.

Lee

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
bridgestone bt 45's are what you want if you want the best road tyre they not the cheapest but they are most lightly the best ? its best to stick with standard sizes but with a bt45 you might get away a 140 on the back . if you want a fatter tyre but it can cause problems with pinching tubes .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm about to replace the rear on my TA 2002 650. I looked up best road tyres, I've always used BT45 on my cb500r, never had a problem. I do 400 miles a week on roads, sometimes slushy muddy little lanes too. I've heard Avon gripsters are a good option, but I'm getting confused about the sizes. I can't find Avons in 120-90/17, I have seen them at 130-90/17. I'm a short and stumpy sort, so if these tyres add any height, I'm in trouble! Any advice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello pete, im new to the transalp 650, bout a month now ! personally ide stick with what the book states for sizes, dont forget with insurers they can get very funny with the wrong size eh in the event of a claim eh ! continental trail attacks or michelin anarkees are great ! friends have them already !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts