Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting my XL700 ready for a big trip down through France, through the Pyrenees and then back up through the Alps, well that's the plan at least!

I'm going to put some new tyres on for the trip. Currently I have Tourance on which I am happy with. I was just wondering about whether anyone thinks there is a better tyre out there for that sort of distance with a fully loaded bike.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've just ordered a set of Heidenau K60s to replace the Tourances I've just got back from the Alps with.
The Tourances were great on road and gravel but I wanted something a little more off-road friendly. Other popular options similar to the Tourances are the Heidenau K76 or Michelin Anakee.

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
You'll have as many recommendations as there are riders here :p ... as we all ride differently and have different priorities/expectations.

For what it's worth, my current favourite is the Michelin Anakee 3 ( currently on my third set, having tried various others from Bridgestone, Avon etc in the past). I don't do any off road riding - apart from the odd gravel carpark etc!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did a 3 thousand + miles trip around Europe last year and just before I left I had a pair of Avons fitted to the 700 Alp. All of my riding is generally on tarmac. I also knocked out another 1000 miles + around the Netherlands and Germany earlier this year. The grip on the Avons is pretty good and after over 5000 miles there is still plenty of tread left on them. All in all I reckon they are pretty good for the price.

Nick.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after a bit of research here and on other sites I've gone with a pair of Anakee 3's.
I've just had them delivered today and they look great and I'll get them fitted tomorrow.

Just one question regarding fitting .... Tyres are supposed to come with a mark that is supposed to register the part of the tyre that should be located next to the valve hole to help with balancing the tyres.
Does anyone know whether there should be one on the Anakees? There is a small barcode on the edge of the tyre .. is this it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heidenau K60 surprisingly good off road and awesome on tarmac. I've had over 4000 miles so far from a rear tyre half of that mileage was off road in Portugal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the mark was there to show the lightest part of the tyre, hence fitting it next to the valve.
most modern tyres are close to perfectly balanced just because they're made better now, so most no longer have the marks.

BTW, excellent choice of tyre, wouldn't put owt else on mine

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the mark was there to show the lightest part of the tyre, hence fitting it next to the valve.
most modern tyres are close to perfectly balanced just because they're made better now, so most no longer have the marks.

BTW, excellent choice of tyre, wouldn't put owt else on mine
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking that might be the case but was hoping someone else knew.

I'll fit them next week and give them a run to get them bedded in :) Then I just need to get everything packed and squeezed into my panniers and I'll be ready to roll :)

23 days till departure:D:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had a reply back from the Anakee supplier today.

They don't come with balancing marks.

Now all I need is a my tyre soap to arrive on a dry day so that I can swap them over (The perils of not having a garage). Then to learn how to balance a wheel :)

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts

Now all I need is a my tyre soap to arrive on a dry day so that I can swap them over (The perils of not having a garage). Then to learn how to balance a wheel :)
That's good to know... will save a lot of fruitless hunting for elusive dots :)
Good luck with the balancing - not something I've ever tackled - and enjoy your expedition!

·
Registered
137 Posts

a pair of car axle stands and a length of copper pipe work for me,,,,, but there's loads of "how to" vids on youtube.

·
Registered
137 Posts
AFAIK the bar code is the mark on Michelins. And tyre soap?? I use a water/ fairy liquid solution, been doing it for years and never had a problem. Obviously I dont leave loads sloshing around inside the tyre, but it works just fine getting the buggers on / off.
When I got my Alp the previous owner ( or more likely his tyre fitter ) had put the front tyre ( anakee 3 ) on the wrong way round. I reversed it but never bothered balancing it as I'd run out of weights, but no ill effects. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well following my trip I've got to say that the Anakee II's were just brilliant.

I rode over a wide variety of different road surfaces and they never gave me any cause to doubt them. They coped with a wide variety of tarmac, mountain roads with rockfalls, roads with fresh chipping, roads being re-surfaced and gravel tracks - all in both wet and dry situations.
At around 40 mph, especially when slowing down the XL700 bar wobble was very apparent but only for an mph or two.

My only gripe is that, as with a lot of road tyres, they're crap on wet grass with wet mud on the surface! (Or was that me?)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My only gripe is that, as with a lot of road tyres, they're crap on wet grass with wet mud on the surface! (Or was that me?)

No, probably not. I've never found any road tyre worth a damn on wet grass, but then they aren't supposed to be. Neither are many semi-off road ones; I find wet, muddy grass is a right bugger, especially on a heavy bike, and the only tyres I've used that work are extreme knobblies. And that was on a 250.

I hope this makes you feel better:thumb:. Treat wet grass like black ice and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I know what wet muddy grass is like. I just hadn't realised that this grass was that wet and muddy!

Meant to say as well that after 4000miles the front tread is 4mm and the rear is 6mm.
That seems very good to me :)
Oh, and the chicken strips are very narrow!!!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
anybody living in Ireland the best deal I could find was online from eiretyrs.com they are based in Hamburg Germany and I am sure they serve all of Europe . if you put eiretyres.com in the search it will let you change your country so probably work out good where ever you are unless your in the Americas or Oz . I went with continental conti trail for the Transalp 600 cos they were the least expensive plus free post on a pair saving 20 euro and someone on hear said they were good but I cant remember who but thanks a lot man . you were right I am very happy with them great wet tyre very little noise off them and good grip in the mud around the forestry tracks they have dug me out of the mud a few times . a lot nicer than the bridgstone trail wings I used to run . they are as soft as butter too and practically fall on to the rim and seat very easy I used the slightest amount of one of them shower gels like simple or dove or maybe aldi's version ? the low ph level or what ever . I figured if its good enough for lovely girls gee's it wont **** my rim up LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts