Discussion Starter #1
I saw a red one and a white one in the dealers today.... I WANT one

......................NOW!!!!!!!!

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I saw a red one and a white one in the dealers today.... I WANT one

......................NOW!!!!!!!!
But Sean, with that tank you'd hardly get to your work and back without a fill-up. :confused: A critical error in my view, and not an example of the thoughtful design Honda used to be famous for...

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as long as it goes like buggery - I dont mind.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
But Sean, with that tank you'd hardly get to your work and back without a fill-up. :confused: A critical error in my view, and not an example of the thoughtful design Honda used to be famous for...
I wonder how many times it would need to stop for fuel on TLD?
Would be nice to give it a test, Mr Honda can I borrow one?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i rode one yesterday, its for people with short legs and long arms, its really low but long, i couldnt get on with one. pillion seats too small, both seats rock hard. luggage is very neat, topbox tiny though and the usual honda trick of being too close to the pillion seat. for £10.5k they can keep it.
and thats apart from the ugliness of it and the small tank. someone at the grand unveiling friday night asked about it, and we were told honda have done their research into what us bikers really want and 150mi is plenty, we all stop around then for a rest anyway apparently.

do we all want to have to fill up every two hours? and thats only at british legal speeds let alone giving it the berries on a french autoroute, looking for gas on a sunday?

engine was sweet but nothing special, no improvement on a big beemer K series or FJR, i even prefer their own CB1300!!

i was much more impressed with the 750 black shadow that got shown at the same time, a really pretty bobber.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Someone at the grand unveiling friday night asked about it, and we were told Honda have done their research into what us bikers really want and 150mi is plenty, we all stop around then for a rest anyway apparently.

do we all want to have to fill up every two hours? and thats only at british legal speeds let alone giving it the berries on a french autoroute, looking for gas on a sunday?
They are right about the time though, I remember a thread I started about the poor milage of the Transalps and the fact that they struggle too get over 190 miles per tank and some here mentioned that they stop every couple of hours for fuel and a stretch.
Mind you if the seat is that hard two hours would give a numb bum and need a stop for a resupply of blood to the affected area. It is obviously not designed for touring.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
They are right about the time though, I remember a thread I started about the poor milage of the Transalps and the fact that they struggle too get over 190 miles per tank and some here mentioned that they stop every couple of hours for fuel and a stretch.
Mind you if the seat is that hard two hours would give a numb bum and need a stop for a resupply of blood to the affected area. It is obviously not designed for touring.

I saw 3 today in the shop Red, White and Graphite looks very nice agree about fuel ranges and ride times the salesman i was talking to claimed that at sensible speeds 80-90mph he said it should get 45-50mpg if ridden sensibly. Asked the question about the engine in other bikes and he said it's being planned to go into the new Pan European and Varadero but it's likely to be upto 2 years before we see as the engine will new to be played with to suit both the other bikes

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I saw 3 today in the shop Red, White and Graphite looks very nice agree about fuel ranges and ride times the salesman i was talking to claimed that at sensible speeds 80-90mph he said it should get 45-50mpg if ridden sensibly
That may be a good MPG but if the tank is small it defeats the purpose.
BMW have a large tank with ranges up to 300 Miles, even if the rider stops every 150 miles for a stretch and a look around at least they do not HAVE to worry about a fuel stop every time.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
That may be a good MPG but if the tank is small it defeats the purpose.
BMW have a large tank with ranges up to 300 Miles, even if the rider stops every 150 miles for a stretch and a look around at least they do not HAVE to worry about a fuel stop every time.
True, but what do most people plan their brakes around, fuel range so you'd either buy it and live with it or buy something else. End of the day it depends what you want the bike to do if you want mega mileages between stops look elsewhere if you want to go for a ride with a few mates on Sunday morning i'm sure it will be fine

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
as long as it goes like buggery - I dont mind.
your busa will take it behind the bike shed slap it around and nick its sweets:D:D:D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i can do 250mi+ with my vara and i like to stop every 90mins/130mi or so, but its only for a quick stretch and a sip of water i only have to fill up every other stop. at 130mi on a VFR the reserve light would be on and i would be in a panic!

obviously not designed for touring? i agree, but what is it then? its supposed to be a sportsTOURER, or why call it a VFR? it wont tour very well and the wheelbase is like a harley, not for going round corners.

im sure those who buy it will be happy enough with it but look at the competition first. if i'd traded in an old 750 VFR thinking i was going to get a better bike i would be dissappointed as hell

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
For £11,596 I'd expect a little more than that!!! :D
They'd be short rides as everybody who buys a new fashion statement will ride somewhere park it up and let everybody else look at it:thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
We've been through this before about the tank range, if you head for the north and west of Scotland you'd best bungee a plasi can of fuel to the back seat as you'll not make it to the next petrol station, especially on a Sunday. I expect to stop every hour or so, numb bum etc, but usually a photo call! I expect a min 200 mile tank range, I stop because I want to, not because the bike tank range dictates so.
I've owned a VFR 800 in the past and also a 900 Blade and enjoyed both bikes for what they were. I've not seen the 1200 in the flesh yet so I'll reserve my judgement on it's looks. What I've heard so far seems to point to this not being a long range tourer or allrounder, so not for me.
Horses for courses, long distance adventure tourers suit this country I use as a playground so suit me.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As they will soon be using a new road sign " POTHOLES for the next 5 miles"
A point and shoot bike is not very practical, plus it is up against the 'Busa and the Fireblade, so will only be for those with the Look at me, mentality.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I'm sorry I think it's ugly ( ok I know pot, kettle etc. ) I can get 400 miles out of a tank of fuel but I like to stop after about 200 to stretch my legs. I have done Lands end to home in one hit. That's over 300 miles.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I'm sorry I think it's ugly ( ok I know pot, kettle etc. ) I can get 400 miles out of a tank of fuel but I like to stop after about 200 to stretch my legs. I have done Lands end to home in one hit. That's over 300 miles.
I agree.
I think the GSA is ugly but it is functional with a decent fuel range.
I do not get this new idea of making bikes which have you folded in two and a tank the size of a teaspoon.
I would rather have a bike which is comfortable and with a range that suits.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts