Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gents!

As the title suggests I am the new owner of a 03 xr400, which to say the least...needs some work! my biggest hurdle at this time is the gear shift assembly (just the past that slides on and off) was broken and the previous owner decided to weld it bad on to the point that you can barely see it anymore....why? I wish i knew what was going through his head!
So back to the point, I am looking to split the engine now to replace this shaft with another that came with the almost full spare engine I received with the bike, also he stated he bored it out and there is instant gasket everywhere so I quite frankly do not trust his work and would feel better rebuilding it myself, what gasket kits would you chaps recommend? thus far I can only find;
Athena
Hi Level
Geniune
Engineworx

The only other big issue at this time I have is the linkage to swing arm bolt is seized solid and is just refused to play ball, I am struggling but worst comes I can either cut the bolt or cut the linkage, although I would rather not do either.

If you guys have any questions for me feel free to!

Glad to be here as a fellow honda man as I also own a CB1300 :cool:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hi and welcome, this forum is very slow so be patient for the replies, personally i would go with the Honda gaskets if you got the cash for it. As for the swing arm linkage good luck with that :D the most common bolt to seize is the one holding the swing arm on the frame, use all balls for the linkage bearing kit, if you buy it from Honda your looking at the best part of £250 for the bearings seals and collar's. you can get the lot from all balls for about £60.:thumb: what area are you living
Oh i got the CB1000 the 13's predecessor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the genuine kits and they are a bit pricey, not that I wouldn't pay it but trying to figure my options.

I'm a fan of using all balls bearing kits but had a fair bit of trouble with them for my cb1300 head bearings, however that was another reason and won't be the same for the likes of linkage bearings so, I'm happy to hear you recommend them.

Well in that case I'm hoping someone will come to me with a miracle fix, otherwise it's going to be heating and wd40'ing until then, which part seizes? The thread, the roller or the allen key head?

I forgot to mention this, I am located in Larkhall, Scotland (along the central belt of scotland)

Which bike was that?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The bolts usually seize in the collars they turn freely enough but wont push out is the normal symptom of that but if its not rotating it probably is the head on that bolt and a good soaking in penetrating oil will hopefully get it free. The swing arm spindle is the worst job on the bike when seized.
This is the CB1000 very rare in this country and wasn't a popular bike but i love it
IMG_4498.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bolts usually seize in the collars they turn freely enough but wont push out is the normal symptom of that but if its not rotating it probably is the head on that bolt and a good soaking in penetrating oil will hopefully get it free. The swing arm spindle is the worst job on the bike when seized.
This is the CB1000 very rare in this country and wasn't a popular bike but i love it

#update# I managed to get that bolt out eventually, I put some warm diesel in overnight then in the morning i smacked the bolt out from the thread side.

Ahh yes, my memory went completely awol on that one, I absolutely loved the cb1000 and infact my first big bike was it's baby brother, the cb400sf project big 1! absolutely fantastic machines, both of them!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Good news :thumb:
I'm in the middle of suspension service myself just stripped and rebuilt the the suspension linkage on my 650 dominator and now i'm giving the front forks some TLC, they are off a XR400 and been on there a few years getting hammered by the extra weight of the dominator so i'm treating them to a new bush kit and new heavier weight springs. Stripped them down tonight and what a mess in there how the hell the fork seals weren't leaking i don't know, whoever fitted them looks like they used a screwdriver to bash them home and exposed the metal which has now gone rusty so going to need new seals as well and why not it is Christmas after all :grin:

IMG_9210.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts