Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Oz Adventure Rider
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day All

Just to introduce myself to this group. My name is Ron (aka RTO) and I live in (currently) dusty & dry Queensland (Oz)!

I have been riding Adventure / GS / Dual Sport before these words came into use. Dual Sport? I ride a GS100 (it is a 86 Gaston soft race replica) & a KATO 950 ADV. Why have I joined this group? To increase my knowledge of XRVs as I have become the owner of a relatively pristine RD04 due to the passing of my best mate a while back.

Anyhow FYI XRVs were never sold in OZ (dont ask me why ask Honda AUS). So the ones that are here are either Grey Imports or part of a group brought out by Honda for a dealer promo in 92. I believe mine is one of the later. We are setting up Al's former bike with some kit from our shop I hope to report good progess soon (that is after I sort out an electrical problem with rear cylinder & pump which may require a seperate post).

Also I am interested good sources for spare parts as these were never imported here. Unless parts are cross used in XR / XL / Trannie etc, difficult!

Hope to catch you on the road somewhere or at least via the web.

Cheers RTO (Ron) ;)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Welcome, good luck and get those photos up soon.

Your antipodean colleague, Atgreg, with an RD04 with some fantastic mods, will be along shortly.

Look at some of his ride reports

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Welcome Ron, the one thing you will find is that these forums are a fantastic resource and will answer all and more of your questions......Welcome aboard :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
And in answer to the first technical question you will pose is:

Sticky choke (well it nearly always is:D)

Searching the threads can save a lot of time and effort as most questions have been answered several times in some detail.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
G'Day All

Just to introduce myself to this group. My name is Ron (aka RTO) and I live in (currently) dusty & dry Queensland (Oz)!

I have been riding Adventure / GS / Dual Sport before these words came into use. Dual Sport? I ride a GS100 (it is a 86 Gaston soft race replica) & a KATO 950 ADV. Why have I joined this group? To increase my knowledge of XRVs as I have become the owner of a relatively pristine RD04 due to the passing of my best mate a while back.

Anyhow FYI XRVs were never sold in OZ (dont ask me why ask Honda AUS). So the ones that are here are either Grey Imports or part of a group brought out by Honda for a dealer promo in 92. I believe mine is one of the later. We are setting up Al's former bike with some kit from our shop I hope to report good progess soon (that is after I sort out an electrical problem with rear cylinder & pump which may require a seperate post).

Also I am interested good sources for spare parts as these were never imported here. Unless parts are cross used in XR / XL / Trannie etc, difficult!

Hope to catch you on the road somewhere or at least via the web.

Cheers RTO (Ron) ;)

G'day Ron

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your mate, as I'm sure you'd rather than have him than the bike, but looking after his bike is a good thing to do.

Welcome to the forum!

I read about those RD04's that were bulk shipped into Oz recently, as somebody had scanned and posted the article on the net. They were all blue weren't they, or certainly one of the rarer colours?? Weren't they Finnish or Danish bikes originally??

EDIT: Here is the info on ATGREG's home page http://atgreg.com/danish.html

http://atgreg.com/aft.html

Anyway, regarding your problem.

As said, choke mechanism (all 3 cables and plungers) are usually the biggest culprit.

Fuel pump is another.

But in this case, I would also suspect the CDI or the connections to it, under the seat. The underneath of the seat can foul the connectors or wiring and put strain on the CDI connectors.
There is a fix here ATiC - Honda Africa Twin Homepage (this shows an RD03 CDI but it is basically the same procedure)
You will note that the connections onto the CDI work in pairs for front and rear cylinder. One of the pairs (can't remeber which) also sends a 12v pulse to the contacts in the fuel pump to make it pump (only when the engine is running) so this could be your problem.

Also, treat yourself to a Haynes (or Honda) manual, so you can check with a wiring diagram.

Don't worry mate, lots of help is on this forum for the asking, we'll try and help get your best mates bike up and working again.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Howdy Ron,

good to see you hear. Chan in Singapore is a great source of new parts for us Oz AT'ers
M-Technik Motorsports LLP
51 Ubi Ave 1, #05-08
Paya Ubi Industrial Park
Singapore 408933
Tel : +65 6844 8973
Fax : +65 6234 2773
email : [email protected]

·
Honda Adventure Rider
37 Posts
Hey Ron,

I think i just live down the road from you. (Whiteside). We will have to get together for a yarn.

Greg has been much help before I became a AT owner and after.

Yep. I have removed the choke cables. Left the little pistons sealed inside the carby. Bought a Facet Pump down the road Autobarn in Lawnton. Replaced the Regulator. But after a big long run from NSW @ night think that the regulator that i put on may not be up to the task.

Ive got some genuine chain & sprockets coming from Chan. Just to compare mainly with the JT sprockets that are on the bike. Concerned about the input shaft being loose using the JT's . I believe chain gang here in Brisbane do chain & Spockets too. Pay to ring them as they have had computer problems.

Just in the finishing stages of making up a panier rack for the back that will incorporate two of the old Army alice packs. Bit more welding today.

Regards

Adrian (AKA Hodgo)

·
Oz Adventure Rider
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G'Day All
Thanks for all the replies & comments. Yes I would rather AL here then his bike but in a sense he lives on as we rode together for nearly 40Years!
The AT was the apple of his eye after his family.

AT-Greg & I go way back (start of Oz Adventure Riders in 98?) He has also sent me tech info. If not for the repeat dust storm today (thankfully nowhere as bad as last weeks rare event), I would have debugged it by now.

Have reviewed all the material - thanks for the links too! Believe it or not but I am electrical / electronics tech by trade so should be able to sort it out. Good tip re contacts on ECU PCB too. As there is no rear cylinder spark & no fuel pump runing & no tacho when running on front cyl - there is (possbily) the culprit but I will fully debug first to confirm.

I hope that we get AL-the-XRV up & running soon, so he compete with Gaston-the-GS & KATO for road time. But I wont use him to the extent that the other two get dirt work outs! He is a keeper along side my "last of the 1000 Vfours", an 86 VF1000FF as they both have roughly the same original mileage 60-70K Km. BTW when the fuel pump failed on the VF - they are a pretty common Mitsubishi unit - burnt out contacts etc. I replaced it with an easily sourced (from Repco) unit made in NZ for AUD99 - had to re-plumb hoses though.

Here is photo from earlier in the year when we found we had a problem, I am not in the pic but my mates are! (look carefully mowed the grass since then too) Cheers RTO (Ron)

·
Oz Adventure Rider
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: New XRV750 RD04 Owner - Cant Add Photo

Sorry Folks Cant add that photo!

Went through the FAQ resources & I dont have a 'Pictures & Albums' link on my USER CP and also going VIA Community at
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/album.php?do=addalbum

results in "ozadventurerider, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Is this becuase I am a newbie or is there something I must do to post images of the poject? regards RTO

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
or fuel pump:thumbright:

that should do you!
That's on the RD07. Honda introduced a second fault with the RD07.

On the RD04, it's always the choke. The fuel pump went on and on.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Re: New XRV750 RD04 Owner - Cant Add Photo

Sorry Folks Cant add that photo!

Went through the FAQ resources & I dont have a 'Pictures & Albums' link on my USER CP and also going VIA Community at
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/album.php?do=addalbum

results in "ozadventurerider, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Is this becuase I am a newbie or is there something I must do to post images of the poject? regards RTO
To host pics here you need to subscribe, but if you have pics hosted elsewhere (Flickr, smugmug, etc) you can copy the picture's URL and then add them to the post by clicking the little yellow image button

and pasting in the url.

The site is entirely funded by the subscriptions and nobody gets paid. £10 is a paltry sum for the all the info and support you'll get so I hope you will consider it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts