Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right - so ive ditched the idea of a beemer and gone with a new shiny Alp instead - 2010 model with red tank and decals over white - nice!

Chances are I might even have it ready for TLD so it will be run in well within its first week...poor thing - best way to run a bike in???

Also adding a new Arrow exhaust in anodised black.

Will I win a prize for bike with the lowest mileage 'after' the run?

Possibly still taking my current bike if the new ones not ready - just dont want to take the old 'what if' chance as im trading it in.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Nice looking bike.
I hope you have many miles of trouble free motoring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Right - so ive ditched the idea of a beemer and gone with a new shiny Alp instead - 2010 model with red tank and decals over white - nice!

Good choice.......I bought the one with gold wheels but similar paint scheme in march and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good choice ------- we all know how good modern engineering is but make sure you give it time to run in properly it WILL pay you.

Chris

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I just wish they would update the styling and make it flow more.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Chris..

Do u think TLD is a sensible run in for the engine then?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Round trip will be close to 1200 miles, do you really want to run the engine in for that amount of miles before the first service?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
So Chris..

perfectly good run, constant cruising on the motorways,keep the revs down,sorted. probably one of the best ways to do it. You could change the oil in dingle or book it in for a service the day you get back,imagine their faces,1st service 3 days after you take delivery.

·
Registered
897 Posts
So Chris..

For me the essential thing would be to change the oil and filter at 600 miles, and generally for running in you want to be up and down the rev range using the MAX. ALLOWED, don't forget the transmission needs running in too so plenty of up and down the gearbox.

Keep checking for anything coming loose, and keep an eye on the tyre pressures to make sure they are holding.

Chances are if you treat it right it will treat you right ----- after all its a HONDA :thumbup:

Chris

·
Registered
217 Posts
A wise choice, but then as I too have a 700, I would say that. On the negative side can't say predominantly white on a bike does it for me and what is that attempt at the Turner prize doing on the front fairing? - mine is nearly as bad but not prizeworthy. Plastic bash plate - utterly useless if meant to be a bash plate, more work required if a fairing.

However, these are minor flaws. For me the handling is superb, the ride position excellent and the build quality more than adequate. I do believe it is a good progression from previous models and the semi-traditional look - helped no end by the spoked wheels - does it for me.

As far as running-in, personally I would take it very gently for the first 500 then change the oil and filter.

My piggy bank is being filled for a decent rainbow Titanium effect can and small, round chrome-backed indicators to match headlamp.

Most of all though - enjoy it and get out on it!

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I agree with T Alp, speed should be varied throughout run in, just not full throttle.
I definitely would change the oil sooner than later.
Do anything you want to an engine, just remember that oil changes are the single most important life extending thing you can do.
Read about cavitation.
Feel free to call me retentive, but the first 3.5 miles of any journey are taken with relative ease. After that.... well......
I change my oils at about 8k, no more regular for two reasons. One, I use the bike regularly and I put in the best oil.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mmm - looks like im doing an oil and filter change in Dingle then! Was thinking that myself.

So many opinions differ on how to run a bike in - my current one I just ride from cold with ease until temp is upto 50 then no big heavy torque pulls and no revs over 6k until 300m done - that should be Holyhead then... followed by full on madness in Ireland..yipee!!

oggy - agreee with the under cowl - ok for keeping most dirt and grime off the pipes and sides but otherwise pointless - woldnt have it wothout though..and most replacements metal ones dont protect from grime off the road as they have holes etc...a nice lightweight piece of alu in the same shape wouldnt be amiss.

Dealer knows the mileage im putting on it and is standing over it ok - first service being done next Tuesday when im back along with fitting some acc's that werent instock - heated grips mainly - also not bothering with valve clearances til 4k...unless theres a clear noise to warn.

·
Registered
116 Posts
...So many opinions differ on how to run a bike in...
Forget opinions, follow the manual which on the 700 has this short comment:

"Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500km (300m). During this period avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration."

On the first oil change again, forget opinions. Stick to the manual which requires that the oil and filter be replaced at 600m.

It seems logical to me to assume that Honda know best about their own bikes on such matters.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: oil

You might regret leaving the oil until your return, you would never regret changing your oil as specified.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
If anyone out there does not change their oil regularly, can they please put a message on their tank saying so; so I don't end up with one of their bikes:rolleyes::D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts