Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n gals
Thought I would come along and say hi.
Just treated myself to a 2005 XR125L and was wandering if anyone has done a long trip on one. I’m looking to have a few days in the road and was looking for recommendations for panniers for the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Buy a set of throw overs, the smaller the better. Travel light, it can be done. I had a week away in April this year, and travelled about 3900km on my Suzuki Xf650. My luggage was a tank bag, a tail bag and a smallish swag, no panniers.
A former work mate told me of his late '70s trip on a '70s XL100 from Rockhampton in central Queensland to Sydney in New South Wales,, a distance of about 1,600km (1000mi) and back. He had no bike luggage, just soft bags tied on and placed strategically to give him a lounge chair like sitting position.
Highway one on the east coast of Australia was a 2 lane, undivided country road well into the '80s, and he rode it at about 60 -70km/h because he wanted to get there and back on the same bike.
Enjoy the ride and don't remember that most of what you want to take is excess baggage.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · 6 h ago

Yea I normally overpack when I go on a holiday, so that’s something I really need to cut out for when I hit the road.

Especially if you intend to travel on a 125cc motorcycle. It has a very limited amount of torque and power, the less extra weight on it the better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Discussion Starter · #3 · 6 h ago

Yea I normally overpack when I go on a holiday, so that’s something I really need to cut out for when I hit the road.

Especially if you intend to travel on a 125cc motorcycle. It has a very limited amount of torque and power, the less extra weight on it the better.
Well as I’m 6’4 and weigh 110Kg I do need to save a little weight here and there.
So now I’m thinking of no panniers, if it don’t fit in the top box or roll up on back of seat then hopefully I won’t need it!
For a couple of weeks around the uk, what should I be taking??

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's challenging. I'd say plenty of jocks and socks, 4 shirts, one shorts and one jeans if you were here in Oz, but in a country with wet winter weather setting in, you'd better have water proofing to keep whatever you take dry. I took one long shirt, one pull over and one set of thermals (plus 2 neck warmers for riding) and that was enough warm gear for a week away in "Autumn" (April) in Western Queensland and New South Wales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's challenging. I'd say plenty of jocks and socks, 4 shirts, one shorts and one jeans if you were here in Oz, but in a country with wet winter weather setting in, you'd better have water proofing to keep whatever you take dry. I took one long shirt, one pull over and one set of thermals (plus 2 neck warmers for riding) and that was enough warm gear for a week away in "Autumn" (April) in Western Queensland and New South Wales.
Yea I don’t think I’d be Riding in shorts here in the uk ! Unpredictable weather and dodgy roads, no thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Riding gear is for riding, the clothes listed are for walking about when the bike is parked up for the night.
I own full leather riding gear in a size large enough to wear over my work uniform of drill cotton cargo trousers and hi-vis drill cotton shirt. When traveling in hot weather I can wear just underwear under them. In cold weather, long underwear and warm clothes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts