Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Great to find this forum. I'm very keen on purchasing an AT as my biking roots lie in enduros and trial bikes. I'm currently riding a very nice X9 Evolution scooter here in London, but it is simply not enough for my touring needs. I did have a great interest in the Triumph Tiger, but the overall price and insurance costs are just too much to swallow. Anyway, I like the AT's looks more than the tiger's.

What do I need to look for when searching for the perfect bike? I currently have my eye on an low mileage 02 model which I'm going to have a look at this weekend. Any tips/advice?

What kind of power does this machine have? I am used to 500cc eduro engines but not much larger. 60bhp sounds ok but is it enough for a large machine like this? What is it like on simple dirt roads? I know it's not an offroad machine by far, but I'm aware of people doing major trips on the AT's.

Thanks in advance. 8)

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
X9riderlondon said:
What do I need to look for when searching for the perfect bike? I currently have my eye on an low mileage 02 model which I'm going to have a look at this weekend. Any tips/advice?

What kind of power does this machine have? I am used to 500cc eduro engines but not much larger. 60bhp sounds ok but is it enough for a large machine like this? What is it like on simple dirt roads? I know it's not an offroad machine by far, but I'm aware of people doing major trips on the AT's.
Umm I no mechanic but as far as I understand the AT's are pretty indestructable as long as serviced properly. With an AT so new I'd make sure that it has been serviced properly, so that you have the remainder of the warranty.

The power of the machine is adequate. It won't be anything like as hot as a 500cc enduro machine though which will be much lighter than the AT. I went from a YZF600R to the AT and I loved it. The V twin grunt is excellent and very addictive so despite the power difference I think you'll still have a ball on it. It will also save your licence as well!

I have only been on the beach on mine and I certainly wouldn't go far off road due to the heavy weight, but I know plenty that do.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm often worried about my licence as I like to open the throttle a little too much sometimes. A bike that is relatively licence friendly is a good thing in my book...

The 90+ BHP triumph tiger might be a problem in that regard...

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Yes on the YZF I found myself easily overtaking traffic at 120mph + in a 50mph zone. It was just getting silly and this was just on a 600cc machine!
I hasten to add it was a very long and wide open road in good conditions!
No excuse though, but as this proves its just too easy to do stupid speeds.

The AT still allows you to break all speed limits in style, but.... its more sensible.
You'd struggle to maintain 105mph constantly, but you can sit at 85/90mph all day quite comfortably. It also has a nice turn of grunt to overtake a line of traffic travelling at 40mph.
I've only occasionally felt I haven't had enough power.

I regularly go out on a run with a group of riders having such machines such as SV1000, SV600, Firestorm, CBR600F, and they can't loose me on the roads, despite giving it some stick. I'm quite often right at the edge of where I feel comfortable pushing the bike, but so are they!

All in all a top bike. My only complaint about it is that you can't buy them new now, and I'm not sure what my next bike will be to replace it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You will love the height of the AT, and hate the hardness of the seat. Black is the only colour.
On the AT you have nothing to prove to the baby grow brigade, ATs run all year.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
paultheold said:
You will love the height of the AT, and hate the hardness of the seat. Black is the only colour.
On the AT you have nothing to prove to the baby grow brigade, ATs run all year.
Just to add to Pauls post.

I forgot the height is brilliant. You can see several counties, and light them up as well. The lights are also good.

The seat is quite literally a PITA, but for £15 you can get it remodelled, and a layer of softer foam added which turns it in to a cracking good seat.

And yes the AT's do run all year round, as I and many others can attest to. However I have been dissappointed by the finish, which in my opinion is worse than that of other new bikes I've had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts