Honda XRV Forum banner

newbie needs tyre size advice

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  barkingbiker 
#1 ·
I know all of you senior members will groan...oh no not again!:x but i'm in need of some tyre advice.:sleepy2: I've searched all of the old posts and have decided the Metzler Tourance are the very one's for me. However I recall someone mentioning that instead of the 120/90-17 that you can get a 130/80 on the rear. Is this correct? I'm the proud new owner of a 2000 TA 650 with 12,000 miles on it.

#8 ·
Hi. I have just joined the forum. I have a 2004 Transalp with only about 4000 on the clock and the back tyre is ready for renewal. Following the thread here I fance trying something like the Metz tourance on teh back. The 130/80 as suggested. However. I will still have the original Bridgestone on the front. Is it ok to mix brands like that or am I asking for trouble? Thanks.

#9 ·
Hi boblister, I searched through all of the previous threads before I posted my question about the 130/80 on the back. I'm sure during that search I saw a reply from someone who said "you're asking for trouble to mix manufacturers" but no doubt someone else with more knowledge will reply. You might want to post a new thread to make sure it's seen as a new question though!

#11 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about mixed anything on the TA. IMHO it copes admirably with any bits/changes/bodges, still handles, goes, stops etc as well as before, if not better in certain conditions.

I run a T63 rear and an enduro comp on the front, its still stable at 90mph, although it does track any road ripples well, and slides the rear on wet roads!! (Both michelins though, don't know if that makes a differance??)

#12 ·
Hiya Bob, welcome,
I think it's ok (to have two different makes or lines of tyre), no one has been able to explain to me why you shouldn't, so long as they're roughly similar I can't see that it would be dangerous. I wouldn't put a motocross tyre on the front and a road tyre on the back for example. Trailwing and Tourance sounds fine to me.

I am, however, not an expert. :bom:

G
#13 ·
Hi Bob
IMHO on a bike like the transalp which to be honest is not pushing tyre tecnology to the limit then the mixing of tyres will not make a lot of differance
you will also find thatTrail tyres are in the most part made to a very simmeler profile
on a sports bike you have a range of tyre profiles which can be used to fine tune the handleing characteristics of the bike

#14 ·
Just to chuck my spanner in the works... the standard size of the rear tyre is dependant upon the age of your 600. Shoot me down in flames but I believe that early Trannies had 130/80 but later 600s had 120/90 as standard. Both my Transalps were/are '97s and as standard they came/come with Bridgestone TW48Gs - 120/90-17.
Nowadays I have a Tourance 130/80. Ace tyres:; infact just ordered a new front from moto-tyres.

cheers
Rob
ps: WARNING: useless info alert: There was a 3mph difference at the same revs when compared to an illegal tyre (bald) and new tyre (higher tread = larger circumference)!!

#15 ·
:p I've got her back with the tourances fitted and boy don't they look just gorgeous! ...but :( had her serviced too! and the chain has been set far too tight. Is this just a pecularity of the Transalp?.. surely lots of bikes have similar suspension that will tighten the chain when you sit on it. I would have thought an experienced bike workshop would have known better. I'm amazed at how much the chain affected the ride, and the gear changes were awful, in fact that's what made me look at the chain adjustment in the first place. Anyway, if I can get away early today, she's going right back so I can stand over them while they get it right!

#16 ·
120/80/17 Transalp rear??

Hi.

The bike's in dire need of a new rr tyre and the only tyre that I can seem to get here is a 120/80/17 (top quality chinese even!). I know that it's going to lower the bike by 1/2 inch but I'm more worried about it coping with 2 up and luggage, as the standard tyre is already way overloaded. We're in Indonesia, and I might get a correct tyre once we hit Malaysia, but it might be on canvas by then!

Any wisdom?

Matt

www.sagaloutsontour.blogspot.com

#17 ·
Re: 120/80/17 Transalp rear??

Hi.

The bike's in dire need of a new rr tyre and the only tyre that I can seem to get here is a 120/80/17 (top quality chinese even!). I know that it's going to lower the bike by 1/2 inch but I'm more worried about it coping with 2 up and luggage, as the standard tyre is already way overloaded. We're in Indonesia, and I might get a correct tyre once we hit Malaysia, but it might be on canvas by then!

Any wisdom?

Matt

www.sagaloutsontour.blogspot.com
it will change the gearing slightly but it is not far off the standard so should cope.

#18 ·
What makes you think the current rear is 'overloaded'? The size of a tyre and its ability to support a load are not related. A smaller tyre won't necessarily have a lower 'load capacity' - just check the speed rating and, if you want to be really picky, the load rating (it it has one - being Chinese it may not). Just put the right amount of air in it for the load it's carrying.

The 120/80 will lower the gearing slightly but in Indonesia (not known for its motorways) and fully loaded that's probably not a bad thing.

#20 ·
Hi Sproggy,

I can't remember the numbers, but I did a quick guess on the weight of the bike loaded with us on it, and it was way over the load rating on the rear Tourance. I've done a standard pressure check - (check pressure, do a run then check pressure before they cool) - and to get the the pressures to go up by just under 10% on a run, they have to be pumped up to 31 frt and 40 rr. Mr Honda recommends 29 and 33. Any less than 31 and 40, and they scrub badly and get really hot. I'd guessed that a smaller tyre would have a lower load rating, but being chinese it may not be worth taking notice of.

BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.