Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , just bought my first transalp va8 , Picked it up today from Birmingham (uk), Great bike , ride home was cold , but hay , had a smile on my face all the way,, bit of a wheel shake , looked and found that the balance weights on the rims were missing , so that's my first job,, But overall looks like the bike has been looked after by the previous owners ,, time will tell,, At least I will know it will start , unlike my pegaso I part exchanged it for ,,,
cheers mark

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm sure you'll grow to love your new acquisition. As with any bike, there are a few things that can cause front wheel shake. Happy days, if it's just an unbalanced wheel and tyre. It's worth checking the tyre for uneven wear, which tends to make the bike feel a bit twitchy over paint lines, tar strips etc. Stiff or worn head bearings have the same effect. If they're notched (worn bearings overtightened to get the bike thru an MoT) it may not be noticeable until you get the front wheel up off the ground and move the forks from lock to lock. While you're there, undo the front wheel spindle and clamp and refit both properly. When I bought my 600, Some clown (a professional mechanic, apparently) had torqued the clamp up tight and then installed and torqued the spindle afterwards (wrong sequence) The result? The fork legs were effectively 'tapered'; this, combined with the above (worn tyre and notched head bearings) caused my bike to shake like a shitting dog round corners and the front end was twitchy and unpredictably over flashing and road markings...several hundred quid and hours of fettling later, it now rides like it should. It's still a bit baggy, but then it's a 24 year old bike when all's said and done.

Good Luck with the wheel wobble and enjoy your new ride. :thumbright:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts