Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to you all from Sunny Spain..Before i go further, please forgive my English..It do improve after few pint of the black stuff but i am not sure you will notice it over here
Now to the point .For the last 2 week I Am the very happy and proud owner of a 89 RD3 .However recently (2 days ago ) i get a big Clunk when engaging 1º gear..! the rest of the gears feel ok but the clunk worry me as you can really feel it and it did not happen before.Can anyone kind of insight me about what could be the problem and it solution, hoping it is easy peasy with no extra cost or should i go strait to the gun and look out for the ex owner? The clutch it supposed to have been recently changed ( Did see the old plate)
I am a fairly accomplished land rover mechanic But the A.T is a new chapter for me to and i really dont want to learn about mechanicaly
Thank you :thumbup:
Xavier,

·
Hill Rider
3,107 Posts
Hi & welcome to AT ownership and the forum.

Incorrect chain tension can often lead to clunky gear changes. Easy to check - bike on side stand, measure slack of the chain from its resting postion. Not sure what the measurement is for an RD03, but I'd guess at between 40-50mm.
And it'll cost you nothing if thats all thats wrong . . . . . . . . but . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . if the chain has slacken off so soon after your starting to ride it, I'd check the wear on the chain by trying to pull it away from the rear of the rear sprocket. If it pulls away more than half the length of the teeth on the sprocket, your chains near to the end of it's useful life.
Be good to check the condition of the sprockets as well, to give you an idea of how worn, or not, they are.

Just my tuppence worth (or cents in euro terms ;))

Steve T

:cool:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome Xavier - glad you have the sun back - it was snow and torrential rain when we were there at the end of April!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woaw... Quick response Steve Thank you :thumbright:
I will follow you recommendations. I did find the chain to be very loose just by looking at it but having read that they need to fairly slacken i left it as normal. The Rear sprocket need to be change as teeth look more like hook so i guess the front one must be as bad..!
So i guess my next question will be.. Is it strait forward to change them ( Sprockets and Chain ) would i need a special tool?
Thank you Guys for the welcoming in the AT ´s Clan

Hi Paul, we still have crazy weather over here lately specially in the north

Xavier,

·
Hill Rider
3,107 Posts
Xavier, Apologies for the late reply - only just seen your response to my answeer.

Changing the sprockets is a straight forward matter of removing nuts & bolts, rembering to loosen all the nuts and bolts when the rear wheel is still on the bike. Use 1st gear and the rear brake to lock up the whell to allow you to loosen up the retaining nuts on the rear sprocket and the bolts holding the front sprocket on.

Use only a Honda front sprocket, as it has been shown by some users that after market front sprockets can increase the wear rate on the output shaft - not a cheap fix :(

Also replace the small keeper plate that holds the front sprocket in place, as well as the two bolts that haold it onto the sprocket.

Changing the chain may be more stressful if you don't have access to a chain breaking / making tool.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steve..
Please Steve no need to apologies to me ffor anything specialy if you are giving a hand to a newbie..No body else does it..!
So a big thank you for your time and help..!
Today i put your wises tips into action..:D
And that what come out of it..!

I think it was still the 25 year old original sprockets and i was one corner away from unknow fun :happy2:
One last question i promess.. How much slack and how do i mesure it for the chaine..I understand that it as to be pretty losse compared to a roadbike..!
Again Thank you for you help. I cold Cerveza is on me on your next trip to my corner of Spain:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts