Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm from Norwich but have recently moved to Spain. I have owned a 650 TA in the past and have hired a 700 for a week's trip to Switzerland, and with also having owned a VFR am content to remain with Honda.

I hope to buy the new Transalp (in the UK) this year, but as one of its uses will be riding from Spain to the French ferry ports three of four times a year, 800 miles (preferably in one day), I am still considering the Varadero.

Anyone any experience of motorway distance on the TA, or limited off-road work on the Vara? My off-road experience on the TA is currently dirt tracks and flat fields, but I would like to be able to do more in the future, especially living so close to the Pyrenees. I would also like to return to the Alps, or even further across Europe, maybe towards Norway in the next few years.

Oh, and this will probably be my last new bike purchase, if my wife has her way, so needs to the right choice for many years to come :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
hi there.

i dont own either, but from what ive seen id say the TA's motorway work is probably more capable than the Vara's offroad work.

Im sure owners of one or both will be along shortly :thumbright:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi,

I have a TA650 and it lives on the motorway most of the time for my commute. About 80-85mph its happy doing about 5500rpm but really I wouldn't want to be doing much more than that for hours on end. A 6th gear would have been really nice.

Comfy, yes but not quite enough wind deflection from the faring.

I suspect off road there's not going to be that much in them, yes the vara weighs more but I guess how this affects the rider will depend on their weight and ability.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you not think the cast wheels will be less robust than the spoked?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I've done the longest day twice on my alp, I've done to ullapool and back and lots of other loooong distances and never had a problem. sort the gearing out and you can cruise all day and 80-85 at 4300 rpm. swap it back again and throw it at any offroad stuff you fancy,it'll do it all.
The vara is a big old beast, wouldn't want to pick it up if you dropped it offroad.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have a 650 and find it more than capable on long distance road work.
I think the 700 has it, when it comes to the long distances though due to the extra cc and FI.
The only problem seems to be the recent decline in the finish quality.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have thought for a long time the Transalp was 'the one', hence I hired one last year for my roadtrip to the Alps to prove it, and yes, I did a reasonable amount of motorway miles, to the limits of my sport bike buddies' comfort!

I have heard however the Varadero eats motorways for breakfast, leaving you feeling fresher at the end of the day than you began.

Grrr, I should just get on with it and buy it...

Thanks guys, I'll direct the rest of my thoughts, and news on my eventual purchase, on the appropriate forums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts