Honda XRV Forum banner

Newbie XRV 650

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Betterl8thanever 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi one and all, My name is Li.
I've been lurking this site for some time, and now with an impending purchase i've done the honourable thing .
I am about to view/collect an xrv 650 i won on ebay ( you may have seen it last week). It looks in great original condition and the guy seems genuine which is a good start. It has done 25k miles.

What i am concerned about is this gearbox output shaft mallarky.
Will i be able to tell if there is anything wrong by looking over the bike?

I aint no mechanic and it only has a side stand so will be difficult enough to check bearing play in wheels etc.

What can i do to check, does any body know of any relevant threads? What else should i look out for?

Many thanks in advance, This is only the tip of my questions iceberg.
In anticipation....... i wait....and wait...

#4 ·
welcome to the site,
what you bought a bike offEbay without viewing it in person to check it over:eek: , brave sole . suppose you can check it over when you collect then if it aint good back out wasting peoples time:mad:.

As for usefull tips and things , if you click on Africa twin on home page then chose seach this forum. Try to use short specific searches and loads info on there as most things concerning this model will have already been covered.

Also most people on here are enjoying the easter weather Getting Muddy:p
Hope you enjoy the bike , it does have a current mot ? as the wheel bearings and head stock are part of mot.

#5 ·
I had a 650 for 4 years great bit of kit, (starting to wish I had kept mine:()you can still buy most of the spares for them. To check the out put shaft you will need to take of the sprocket cover not difficult to do, the exhaust is not available anymore so check this, the end can isn’t a problem as any end can, can be made to fit (I had a CBR 600 can on mine) the CDI units 2 under the seat can go and they are expensive, also check the rims as these do corrode, again you can have them rebuilt but its not cheep, not sure if this is the same for all 650 @ but the mine had very poor head lights something like a 35w bulb I changed the lights and the frame they sat in for a new RD04 set. The last thing I can think of is the 2 low fuel warning lights when you first turn the key both the red and amber warning lights should come on then go off, this is not a guarantee they work but its about all you can do until your fuel gets low. Good luck with it, I think it’s the best Africa Twin made.

#6 ·
If it's that one in Tamworth it certainly looks tidy.

Spent most of it's life in Italy so maybe corrosion free.

Check all the usual things as the other guys said.

Plastic bodywork can be difficult to obtain, so look at this closely.

Welcome to XRV ownership and XRV.org Have a good look round the site, there's lots of events and meet-ups coming up.

#7 ·
If it's the Tamwoth one then it's mint. I went to look at it with a view to bidding, but the price got above the limit I'd set myself. Has original can with it. Wiring and CDIs looked clean. Doesn't look like it's seen any weather at all. He'd got all the MOT certs for it so your bearings etc should be fine as MOT failure if not as others have said. There wont be many better RD03s out there to be honest.

#8 ·
welcome

I think I was was watching this one, is it the one with non standard round rear light...?

ohh folk on here do care.. but its getting to the better weather ( hopefully ) so they're out and about...:D

the gear box shaft is caused by a too tight a chain, as I recall..

nice bike.. service it and ride it :)

you can get paranoid about 'faults' with these bike, but remember they have been about for 20+ years and these are just some of the things, that have happened to some of the bikes, some of the time , and some of that, is due to some one doing something wrong.:D

I read all the info on XLV 750R.. as a result I have a spare rear drive I will hopefully never need.. and was worried about stuff going wrong.

you have a good bike and now done the right joining this forum :thumbup::cool:

loads of good folk here

enjoy the bike Li

ray

#9 ·
Humph :( had to wait over 9 hours for a reply to your first post :eek: tut tut tut shocking, just can't get the staff these days. :rolleyes:

Although some of us sleep occasionally and a few of us even go out sometime's. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome. :thumbleft:

Final drive spline check; remove gear lever, remove sprocket cover, remove keeper plate from sprocket you can then slide the sprocket toward you, you can then look behind the sprocket and see the shaft and splines. you will need 10mm + 8mm sockets and a small torch.
As for the rest, just the same checks you would do on any bike.

#11 ·
Hello Li and welcome to the forum.

Like the others say, just whip the gearlever and sprocket cover off and have a look.

Other than that, you've bought a great bike, so pray for some fine weather and get out and enjoy it.

There's plenty of folk on here that offer assistance and advice, but bear in mind many are not in the UK so are on different time zones.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

#12 ·
hi, subscribed to site? best tenner you'll spend this year... seriously!!! The advice will save you money, time, worry, work 10x over, as well as giving you more understanding of the bike. Opens up other stuff on site! eg- join Northwest posse on the community, find out who's goin' for a ride-out where & when etc. Enjoy the bike, hope to see you on the road soon :blob4:
afterthought, if your not going to fit a centerstand, cheap paddock stand, got mine on the carboot £8, worth its weight in gold for them rear end jobs. £30 new.

#13 ·
WOW...THANK YOU ALL, for replies, i was getting paranoid something wasnt right and you all new something i didn't!!!
I have wanted an AT for a long time and had bid on a couple of 750 but they went for too much. Then i saw the 'Tamworth' 650. having read great reviews on here about them i decided to have a punt, long story short auction fever got the better of me and i bid more than i was going to. I had spoken to the guy and he assured me it was in great condition and it sure does look like it is.

I have a 1200 bandit and points dont make prizes so i could do with something a bit slower, also the dream of distant shores is much nearer the reality with with a big trail bike.

Im so pleased those that saw the AT thought it looked tidy, i certainly did,im now really excited about seeing it tomorrow. I initially thought i had made a cock up.lets hope its as good in the flesh.

Thanks again for advice and encouragement i will let you know how it is.
I will subscribe as soon as i have it home. You brains and spairs department i may need to pick. cheers all Li.

Ps, i was worried about no replies cos at the time 50+ had read post but not replied!!!

#15 ·
Ps, i was worried about no replies cos at the time 50+ had read post but not replied!!!

No worried Li,
there are a few thousand members here !! and they cover all sorts of bikes so you will get the high views and folk will post if they can help

I only posted as I have been looking for an RD03 and you did get bid fever :) mind you if I had sold my Alp I would have bid higher, as its a good un so you did well mate.. now get out there and ride it :blob4:

#16 ·
Your bike looks great.

Buy some crash bars for it, I have SW Motech in gloss white from Wemoto on mine and they are quality.

I've had my 650 for three years and wouldn't ever part with it, yea the brakes could be better (not poor) and it could go a bit quicker (pulls well) and be lighter too (keep it upright) yet it's a frugal, reliable workhorse, that you'll grow to love more and more.

Enjoy.

#17 ·
Hi Guys, quick update...
The new bike is home and evrything went well. Well kind of! Got directions off somebody and they sent us wild goose chase, from Tamworth we ended up in Matlock and had to go cross country to get to the motorway. 160 miles ride home great for getting to know a new bike pain in butt for girlfriend playing catch up in car!.
Bike runs superb, although there is some serious wind noise/buffetting but i was around 80 mph on motorway. May try smaller original screen.
Spent about 6 hrs today cleaning her, took engine plate off and rear foot peg hangers and polished them up a treat,took the front disc/fork protectors off and gave a good clean in there, cleaned all the cack from underneath and inbetween its all looking nice now. Think i blew a fuse cos headlights aint working now but will have a look tomorrow.
Will take some pics when finished clean n polish and see if i can show you all.

I got a haynes manual but it doesnt mention the xrv 650,
Is everything the same as rd 04?
Cheers Li.

#18 · (Edited)
Layout and a lot of things are the same as the RD04, but electrical is different (more like the 600 Transalp) so do not rely on the Haynes wiring diagram.

All the head and side lamps are connected with one multi-connector behind the lamps, so it may have come adrift.

Keep an eye out for an official Honda Manual on eBay, they do come up occasionally. (They also come up on CD occasionally too)

Shout if you have any questions, as there are quite a few RD03 anoraks on here will be only too keen to help.

I think you'll find you bought a great bike, and certainly a future classic.

Good Luck

P.S. BUY YOURSELF A BIG LOCK, COS KIDS/SCROTES JUST LOVE TO NICK AFRICA TWINS

#20 · (Edited)
QUOTE=BobA;457569
Shout if you have any questions, as there are quite a few RD03 anoraks on here will be only too keen to help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
I did not think first when writing I'm sorry for that!
As I wish not to endanger this forum in any way, I withdraw my offer, and I will make certain I follow the rules in the future!
Thanks Bob for informing me!

#21 ·
QUOTE=BobA;457569

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

RD03 Anoraks? :D

Well, I have some RD03 information in .pdf format that I can e-mail you, if you wish.
Just tell me what you need.

I have:
- Copy of Electrical wiring diagrams for different markets, Italy, Germany, etc. (83,3 kB/each)
- Copy of the original Honda workshop manual (73,7 MB)
- Copy of the original Honda set-up Instruction from 1988 (7,47 MB)
- Copy of the Honda common service manual (669 kB)
- Copy of the Microfiche with part numbers (1,24 MB)

As you can see, you will need a big mailbox, or find a way that I can download them to you.

Good luck with your RD03, it's the best of them all IMHO :thumbright:

//Kjell (Will this make me an Anorak?)
Hi Kjell,
Thanks for you,re kind offer of manuals and data for rd03.
If it is ok with you i would like them all in (english please).
Problem is im on hotmail and dont think you could mail that much info.
How about i send you a stamped adressed envelope with some discs inside, you could copy them and return them to me.
That would be very much appreciated and obviously i would owe you a few beers:sunny: Cheers Li.

#25 ·
Yes it's a shame, but we can't have anything on the forum promoting breach of copyright, as we know 100% that Honda do view this site from time to time.

We ask for this stuff to be removed to protect the forum and it's owner, but also to visibly do our bit for anti-piracy.

What happens between members is between them, we just ask it is not displayed on here.

Hope everyone understands.

#26 ·
Tis a shame, i was looking forward to reading up on my new baby and finding out what makes her tick.:study:
You would think Honda would reprint/make available old manuals etc.
If they are not prepared to, then they should be happy for a small body of enthusiasts world wide to pass on relevant info in any format they desire. In doing so its keeping some of their finest bikes alive. Excellent advertising i think.Its a great assett to be able to consult the knowledgable minds of the XRV Oracle herein but you can't beat a bit of home study.
Hey ho,:cool:
i shall have to go under covers young lady and see what i shall find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.