Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Turgid member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,
Am new to the site, and have just bought an ex-Army 250R, with 2k on the clock. Its a '95 - '99 model, and is confusing me a little.

It has all the road going kit, indicators, horn etc but does not have an ignition switch or battery. Are all the electrics powered off the alternator, but only when the engine is running?

Looking at the Haynes manual it looks like an XLR, or as the manual is American biased they call it an XR250L, but without the battery etc. I can't pinpoint the exact year from the chassis number, but I'm pretty sure it is an XR.

Can anyone fill me in about the electrics?

It also came fitted with an Acerbis 22lt tank which I am swapping for the traditional size, Mod edit: you're not allowed to advertise for sale/wanted items unless you're a subscribed member
Thanks in advance.
Al.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome to the site, Where didi you manage to get the bike from, was it from disposal services or mod sales? also what price did you pay for it, I was looking at the mod sales site when they had their last tender on and it looked like you could of got a bargain.
Anyway you are right the electrics run off the engine and only when its running, just the same as a uk XR.
I am slightly at odds with myself here as you say it is fitted with indicators, I can only assume that this is basically the military being health and saftey concious and having them fitted, as it was only the jap import xr,s with the metal tanks that came with indicators ignition switch battery.
As for the year of manufacture the haynes manual gives the date pre fix,s for the frame numbers so you should be able to tell from that what year yours is.
Also if it should be fitted with a battery (which i doubt) it would sit behind the left hand side panel.

·
Turgid member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
The bike cost me £600 and I bought it from a bike dealer near Market Harborough, Leicestershire. They were selling it on behalf of their landlord, who seemed to deal in a lot of ex-MOD equipment.

It might seem a good price, but bearing in mind it is green and will take some sorting out. It does have a good original seat though.
Surprisingly I have not yet had it running, the petrol tank had some sludge in and I don't want to risk it. I've bought a red standard tank on Ebay. The shop owner did have it running though fed from a gravity feed tank that they use in the workshop. They assured me it ran fine and I'm hoping that as it wasn't their bike they were selling, and had no vested interest in selling it, that they were being honest. Niaive I know, but being ex - Army myself I know how under used and over serviced Army equipment is, and am just hoping it turns out not to be a complete DOG.

My aim is to completely strip it down, have the frame and swing arm powder coated and fit new red plastics throughout. Oh, and to get the electrics working.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Cheers for the info, I had a look on the MOD sales site and they had a tender going the other week, as a guide price of £150 they were selling what was basically a stripped xr250 on a pallet, christ the wheels were spankers and were worth that on there own c/w tyres.
They had a few others on their wheels which were around the £600-£950 guide price, and as usual it was some old bits and loads of new bits fitted then off to the sales room, being ex army myself I know what you mean about the over servicing, at the moment where I work they are getting rid of all the old Harley mt350e,s. So in the wisdom of the gods above they are completly stripping and servicing and replacing loads of parts then they go for auction, total waste of time money and man hours but hey if you want one I,m sure a few bargains might be had in the next 6 months or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts