1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi people.
This looks like a great forum.
I've not long ago bought a 1982 XL500R.

It's great but is can be slow to settle to tickover and can stick at about 3000 rpm both when in gear or neutral although it generally drops down to about 1300rpm.

I've spoken to some clever guys on www.xl500.de and they say it's probably wear in the carb, probably the slide I think. They say the first three items on heere should solve the problem: http://www.alttec-classics.de/shop/index.html?honda_xl500_xl500rc_pd02_82-85_vergaser.htm

Does that sound right? I don't even know what those parts are!

Here's the bike:

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
I'm not familiair with the carb on the 500s, but coming at the problem from another angle: does it now have two throttle cables or one? Does it originally have two?

The 600 originally has two, and the second one helps close the throttle. But it tends to get lost over time.

Lovely looking little bike, by the way, and welcome!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Very nice bike. And welcome, the parts on the list are for new jets and diaphram and may solve the problem though check your two throttle cables are in place and well lubed also wd40 the springs and gubbins on your carbs and give them a good workout.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

There are two throttle cables (an opener and a closer) but they're both operating properly.

The problem only happens very occasionally but I'd like to get the bike spot on so I'll think about buyng and installing those bits.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Could be also be worth checking for vac leaks as the inlet rubber is a known fault.
Lovely looking bike that. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Craig
I "think" I am about to purchase your old XL from a dealership in Cardiff. Before I proceed, is there anything you can tell me - hint, hint. Must be yours as there can't be many around with the arai sticker on the front and carrier on the back. Any info welcome.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi Guys,, im needing a tail pipe fur ma 84 XL500R,, even a xl500s one would do ifye`s know of any.. thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts