Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just aquired a 1982 XL500R, and found this site - so saying Howdy. Already know M6NTL from another site ;)

Its a UK bike, 17500 miles, not been on the road since 1996. All original, except the Micron exhaust system. Overall in used condition, but untouched, with all original stickers too :thumbup:

The motor is sweet, no undue rattles or smoke, but runs a bit lumpy - so cleaned the carb out - full of red ****e.

As I usually get the hacksaw out to my bikes, I'd like to keep this one fairly standard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Much prettier than mine!!!
You need to upgrade the front brake tho (IHMO), stopping requires written notice with drums!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, was on eBay - I had a mad 5 mins - placed a low, but reasonable bid - then within an hour, won the beasty :eek:

You should have seen the missus laff ;)

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I used to have a drum on the front of my XL250SA. When it came time to replace the brake shoes I tried the cheaper EBC ones & they were absolutely rubbish...even after 200 miles of running them in there was such & time delay & even then the braking was minimal. So I bit the bullet & ordered up the OEM ones from Honda & they were a complete revelation...instant differance right from the off. So it may well be worth checking to see what make the shoes are on your nice clean XL500R...nice bike...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bit the bullet & ordered up the OEM ones from Honda & they were a complete revelation...instant differance right from the off. So it may well be worth checking to see what make the shoes are on your nice clean XL500R...nice bike...
:thumbup: Cheers for the "head-up", I'll be taking your advice soon, and having a look...... they do pump a bit too, so the drum maybe warped :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike has been running a bit better, now I've fitted a new coil, plug & ignition switch..... but needed the choke "on a bit" to smooth it out - soooooo :confused:

I took the carb off (again) and cleaned it out - and noticed it had the equivalent of a #120 main jet - too weak :(

So, best I had was a #137, so whacked it in and its transformed the bike :thumbup: (its got the Micron pipe)

I must say its so much better than me old (2004) Yam TTR600 - as it seems a lot lighter and quite perky for an older bike. The front end easily will lift with just a slight tug on the bars :iconbiggrin:

Still a real pig to start though :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts