Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Suzuki GT250, two strokes don't have engine braking do they :shock:

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Puch maxi
honda CBX250
As for brakes the old twin piston caliper RD250/400.s of the late seventies were pretty good for their time mine will make modern rubber squeal
Merv

G

·
Once forced to ride around on my mums Honda melody step through :oops: Moocho embarrassing especially in tassled leather jacket with cut off :shock:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Kawasaki GT550: Not a bad design but mine KEPT breaking down. Adn - of course - when I fixed it I'd disturb something else and a few weeks later that would fail.

BMW R1150RS: A great bike on the road... when it was on the road. However, every three months it would alternate between a minor failure and a major failure.
  • month 3, trim falls off
    month 6, transmission shaft seal fails
    month 9, badge falls off
    month 12, brake caliper mounting bolt snaps
    month 15, indicator lens falls off
    month 18, brake light switch fails, causing entire braking system to shut down. Had to call out breakdown recovery.
Great to ride; nightmare to own.

Owned four Hondas, never a problem!

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Honda 250 Superdream - what a bland, boring, hard starting, lump of crap that was. The only bike I have ever owned that I did not "love" .......

·
vodka tester
476 Posts
Honda CB125T the high reving twin, went very well when it was not eating piston rings !

but the biggest monster i had was a Kwaka 350 tripple, it had been tuned to within an inch of its life, and bugger did it bite. I have never had so much trouble on a bike in the wet, i used to get shocks from the plug tops onto my knees, and the back tyre was always spinning.

i also had a superdream, and loved it (mind it was a 400).
my fav was a CBX550f2 crap brakes .... nice bike.

Roy

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
In order of scariness

CZ250 twin (I'm coming out of the closet for the first time, my first bike)

a mate's Armstrong 500

another mate's Vespa, no apparent brakes, he said they were the best he'd had on his Vespas.

Yet another mate's Husky 500 2 stroke motocrosser. Discovered the brakes did nothing on the way into a hairpin next to a dock. Explanation given, 'it's a racing bike, brakes just slow you down'. I made it round and promptly returned it to the owner (who went on to break his wrist in 2 places an hour later).

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Buell XB9S Yellow called marmite. Fantastic to ride really scary on the corners and didn't allow for any miscalculations which meant I often took corners far to wide. Huge thumper of an engine which was great above 4000 revs but below that had enough vibs to make your teeth fall out and your wrists ache. The Exhaust blew onto your left foot which was OK when moving but really started to burn in traffic.

Oh yeah and it's electrics - now where do I start a little bit of dampness and all electrics decided they didn't want to play anymore, no speedo, lights indicators etc etc and lots of flashing red warning lights.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wee Jack

I am with you on the Superdream thing !!!! i had a CB400 and i hated it, i got rid of it when the Reg/rect went and boiled the battery this was in 1985 note to Mr Honda

SORT OUT YOUR BLOODY REGULATORS/RECTIFIERS they are allways junk.

Had a Z650 kawasaki good bike, but riding through town one day gave it a handfull and the whole Alfa exhaust fell off from the collector back, bits of exhaust all over the road, mucho embarrasing !!!

Had a GSXR750 Slingshot 1986 great bike, but 10 minutes max as regards the pure torture riding position. Never forget coming off a slip road wearing paddock jacket, jeans and trainers Gixxer boy !!!! seeing a huge collection of BMW touring owners parked up, with all the safety stripes and jackets !!! so for fun i hit the limiter in every gear as i went past so that they got the full effect of the 4 into 1 Vance & Hines full race system they were the days !!!! you could feel the hatred

·
Registered
348 Posts
CX500 but at the time i woz despatch ridin so it woz perfect!

FS1E with YB100 motor and home "porting" job!

RD250DX WITH 350 barrels from a YDS7

JAWA500R i needed a cheap bike to transport me around!

kawasaki Z1000ST horrible absolutely horrible!

906 PASO, never went anyway and returned under its own power!

888SP2 exploded on a french auto route, and i mean exploded!

kawasaki Z1300 my first proper "wheelie bike"

the list could go on and on!

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
1978 cj250 t :shock:
cb550k :shock:
numerous chickens still have 3 :shock: :shock: :shock:
gpz 305 :shock:
honda melody :shock:

Going to stop here but the biggest let down was the 1200 bandit bored me senseless that did :(

Started my bikeing life in the found in the barn brigade cheap as chips as they say still fun I had memories :D

I am not sad enough to admit haveing owned 3 wet dreams :oops:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
125 superdream :oops: :oops: where the hell did they get the super bit from :lol: :lol: :lol:

suzuki GS550 when ever i was chasing CBR600s and thundercats through the twistys im dam sure the thing was hinged in the middle :shock: oh how i look back on that bike with fond memories. lol

ans as for the breaks even with braided hoses they were non existent :shock:

however the bastards never got away from me :twisted:

all the others have been 8) 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Scariest bike without a doubt was the Suzuki RM490 2 stroke motocrosser I had.
Scared the shit out of me with its complete inability to keep the front wheel down..... ever. Spat me and many members of the family off at various intervals with various injury's. My wifes uncle (uncle in law?) broken his thumb on it and to this day (14 years ago it happened!) continues to be aggrieved by this fact and reminds me.
Looking for some images mine was one of the last dual shock jobbies, so I think it was an RM400, but I'm sure it was a 490. Ahh well the mind plays tricks. It looked something like this anyway.

Really crap was a Suzuki GP100 that I had after a Yam DT125LC and I expected it to go fast and it didn't..... I remember racing some car off from the lights and it beat me hands down! How embarrasing. The shame. :oops:

Oh and there was a crap Honda H100 or something at some point as well.

Mind you the Kawsaki Gpz 305 was bad as well with the belt drive that kept snapping at huge cost!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
... and then you go and spoil it all
by buying something stupid like
BM Double You!!

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Dee Duble Yuh said:
BMW R1150RS: A great bike on the road... when it was on the road. However, every three months it would alternate between a minor failure and a major failure.
  • month 3, trim falls off
    month 6, transmission shaft seal fails
    month 9, badge falls off
    month 12, brake caliper mounting bolt snaps
    month 15, indicator lens falls off
    month 18, brake light switch fails, causing entire braking system to shut down. Had to call out breakdown recovery.
Great to ride; nightmare to own.
You call that a problem BMW pah that's nothing...

R1100GS in two years of ownership

1 x Bevel drive failure
1 x Gearbox rebuilt
1 x Gearbox replace
3 x Stripped clutch plate splines
1 x TPS sensor replacement

That is besides the small pieces of equipment that fell off or broke along the way, it went like hell when it went but I just lost all patience and trust in the bike and sold it for next to nothing to cut my losses. Will buy another beemer though some day but will certainly make sure it ain't a lemon

This is how my bike looked most of the time....

:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts