Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I no im being fussy and most will turn round and say a bike is to be ridden and not looked at but although I have a front fender extender fitted and a rear hugger I have never had a bike that throws so much **** up everywhere....:(

For a bike with so much wet weather protection including the front belly pan I just cant work out how so much mud and crap finds its way up onto the engine.
:mad:
My rear hugger im pretty sure is not fitted correctly as there is a lot of the right hand side of the tyre exposed were as it is further placed over the left hand side.

Ok...ive got all the cleaning gear including hoses, brushes and so on but this is an on going job and I just wondered if any one else shared the same opinion and would be interested to no if you have a rear hugger fitted weather it keeps the back end a lot cleaner then mine as I had a few huggers in the past and never had this problem.

Like I said, I no im being a bit of an old women but as its brand new im just trying to keep it in good condition..:thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
When I got my bike I cleaned it after every ride, I would ride for 3 hours and spend 2 hours cleaning it. Now I just ride it and wash it when it gets near to where I get dirty just sitting on it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Only one way for me. Pre wet the bike, liberal doseing of 'muck off' cleaner and 5mins with the pressure washer on a fine spray. Mind you I would like a hugger for the Vigor to stop crap going on to the shock. Ideas and solutions welcome.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Only one way for me. Pre wet the bike, liberal doseing of 'muck off' cleaner and 5mins with the pressure washer on a fine spray. Mind you I would like a hugger for the Vigor to stop crap going on to the shock. Ideas and solutions welcome.
A few of us have just fitted or screwed a length of rubber between the curve of the swinging arm and the rear wheel just blocking that little window wgere the filth flies through and onto the shock, doesn't help with constant road spray but def makes a diff for a few pence. I chopped up a cheap car foot mat and the flap is about 4" wide and 8" long:rolleyes:

On the bottled stuff I'm using scotoil f365 (something like that) and makes it easier to shift the crap when I do eventually get the chance to wash it.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i dont bother with a hugger on my vara, i hung a thick sheet of rubber from the rectifier bracket and that keeps the shock covered (pic in my album i think). in fact the bike stays pretty clean i dont think its any worse than any other bike ive had. are you sure your hugger doesnt squirt the muck all over the place instead of it just running off?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think you could be right davsato...The hugger fits very close to the wheel and like I mentioned before the right hand side has about one or two Inc of tyre exposed.

I will be returning it to the dealer as I have been told it needs one or two washers fitted to move it further forward and across.

On the point of pressure washers I do have one but have tried to steer away from using it on the bike because of reasons some suggest that can cause harm.....However I think they are the only answer if you want to get the bike cleaned of 100%....Just a case of being careful I think...

Twistgrip say's he uses a low pressure spray which would be safer but not to sure if I can make that adjustment on mine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw a pic of a hugger (can't remember where though) which had a flip up at the back end. That might make a better job keeping crap off than a standard hugger.

Apart from being nice and neat huggers are ineffective and just a waste of money. Says I who bought a carbon fibre one, then had to fit a crap flap like Davsato's. Wouldn't bother getting another hugger though.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i think it must depend on the design of hugger and particular bike? the tiny OEM hugger i had on my triumph worked very well and that was a single sided swing arm, with a lot of wheel exposed. so did the enormous all encompassing powerbronze plastic job on my GSXF. but perhaps the vara is different? i dont see why it is though, its a perfectly normal swingarm and wheel. would tyres have anything to do with what gets spread where?

i have noticed on the vara that a front fenda extenda type thing would be a good idea, the front hugger isnt long enough by 2" to protect the downpipe. i wont pay £18 for one but haven't got round to designing and making my own yet. think i'll ironically wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Regards pressure washing my little machine's wand has a twisting setting that gives a powerful jet or a fine drenching spray that delivers a high volume of water without quite the high pressure. I have never expierienced any damage, I just avoid the chain and wheel bearing areas. It really is the best way to get a good job. I also use water from the rainwater butt (water meter fitted to house supply) but as the water from the butt is cleaner it does not leave smears or any deposit. Our cats will not look at the tap water, they only drink the rain water. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So much agree with the tyre pattern theory...Pretty sure the big treads on the vara has a part to play in the muck spreading…. Just look at the the state of the country roads after the tractors have been along them.:(

As for the front fender extender...Even with mine fitted crap still finds its way up onto the engine and even around the fan area…amazing!:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
As for the front fender extender...Even with mine fitted crap still finds its way up onto the engine and even around the fan area…amazing!:confused:
i might not bother then, i can live with it. i agree with whoever said they dont was the bike too much.

i use a pressure washer, but never on the fine jet only with a bit of a fan to it, and never on bearings or gaskets. its important to keep it moving, never in the same spot too long. mine has a detergent bottle built in that i fill with fuchs off/muc off/etc and a switch on the lance swaps between water jet with high pressure and low pressure detergent spray. i give it a good blast with muc off, then go over it with mer+turtlewax shampoo by hand, then rinse it off with plain water. lube the exposed cables, footrests, stand hinges, etc with spray grease, give everything under the fairing a good spray with snottoil spray, and start her up to make sure ive not blown water into the electrics anywhere.
tap water does streak but its my workhorse motorbike, not a showroom bentley. mines a black bike so even rain water would show up on it! when its dry i wipe it over with a chamois, if i can be bothered.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Had to get out the other day covered nearly 200km and as the pics show got a little mucky:p but it didn,t take the silly grin off my face :D sooner or later i,ll be out when its raining !!!!!! that,ll take most of it off!!!! you might have guessed my bikes to ride not to clean :munky2:eek:ooowww i,m a mucky lad:D
Phil

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Forgot pics

1 - 15 of 15 Posts