Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Brilliant Paul :thumbup:

Thanks for the write up, appreciate you taking the time.

Maybe that's what's wrong with my 90k mile shocker :D

I shall have to replace at some point I guess, but to be honest, it hasn't bucked me off yet and I've been through a few dodgy off road situations ;):D:D
Thanks John

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did i miss the bit about how much they cost? just considering one for the next time i replace the one on the Varadero. Mine packed up a good few years back now so probably won't be that long before she's due for a new one again which will be either an Ohlins, Custom Hagon or possibly one of these.
Last time i replaced it with a standard Honda shock but sometimes think i would have been better with a different one
Not sure what the prices are yet - Rugged Roads will have that info once finalised with Nitron

Standard shocks are always built down to a premium - I was waiting on a shock to be built for my SP1 but it was not ready in time so I ran the standard shock - 6 laps in at Oulton Park it burst spraying oil over the back wheel resulting in a massive highside on the exit of the chicane on the way up to Hilltop

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,019 Posts
Did i miss the bit about how much they cost? just considering one for the next time i replace the one on the Varadero. Mine packed up a good few years back now so probably won't be that long before she's due for a new one again which will be either an Ohlins, Custom Hagon or possibly one of these.
Last time i replaced it with a standard Honda shock but sometimes think i would have been better with a different one
Ive got a Nitron shock for my Varadero from Rugged Roads (it was delivered last week). Just waiting to get round to fitting it. I'll say one thing for it. It's a lot lighter than the OE Africa Twin shocks I have lying around in the garage.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ive got a Nitron shock for my Varadero from Rugged Roads (it was delivered last week). Just waiting to get round to fitting it. I'll say one thing for it. It's a lot lighter than the OE Africa Twin shocks I have lying around in the garage.
Good quality build too

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,019 Posts
Good quality build too
Yes, it has to be said it looks really well put together and made of top notch components.

On the subject of the adjustable length. Should I loosen the bottom locknut so the bottom bolt hole can line up naturally with the suspension linkage without any stresses on it before fitting, or do I assume that it was constructed and tightened on a jig so it's definitely in line with the top bolt hole now?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, it has to be said it looks really well put together and made of top notch components.

On the subject of the adjustable length. Should I loosen the bottom locknut so the bottom bolt hole can line up naturally with the suspension linkage without any stresses on it before fitting, or do I assume that it was constructed and tightened on a jig so it's definitely in line with the top bolt hole now?
The latter Yen

I didn't check the alignment when I fitted the shock forst time and it went on fine - having been to their place now and seen how they work all the shocks are built in jigs and vices etc

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,019 Posts
The latter Yen

I didn't check the alignment when I fitted the shock forst time and it went on fine - having been to their place now and seen how they work all the shocks are built in jigs and vices etc
Cheers for the info.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Brilliant & detailed write up there Paul, nice one mate.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Stubbsie - now you need to get your pennies out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great review, thanks.

My AT failed it's MoT in September due to a worn shock bushing and I went for a Nitron as a replacement, not realising that they then didn't do a shock for the RD07. After a lot of back and forth with my local bike shop the bike shop sent my old shock off to Nitron for them to make one up, which I'm promised is due in on Monday or Tuesday. The story behind the review helps explain the delay - essential R&D :)

Cheers,

AndyC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great review, thanks.

My AT failed it's MoT in September due to a worn shock bushing and I went for a Nitron as a replacement, not realising that they then didn't do a shock for the RD07. After a lot of back and forth with my local bike shop the bike shop sent my old shock off to Nitron for them to make one up, which I'm promised is due in on Monday or Tuesday. The story behind the review helps explain the delay - essential R&D :)

Cheers,

AndyC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
You will enjoy it Andy

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good write up Paul. :thumbup:

We'll see how good it is in the Mountain passes next spring.:D:D:D.
Cheers Buddy

Now there's a challenge indeed

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
OK – firstly many apologies for not posting in this thread sooner – but the reasons will be clear by the time you have finished reading this post.

As many of you are aware – Rugged Roads offers a variety of aftermarket suspension for your Africa Twin, from Ohlins, Wilburs and Sachs – but we were approached by Nitron back in January of this year with a view to developing a new range of shock absorbers specifically aimed at the Dual Sport bikes.

Now Nitron are a UK company, based near Oxford and owned by an ex-Africa Twin rider (Guy, the owner did some extensive travelling on his RD04 many years ago). I don’t need to go into their history in this post but you can find out more about them HERE.

We agreed to work with them starting with the Africa Twin – and delivered both an RD07A and an RD04 to them in March this year – during the R&D process, with lots of ideas, and suggestions going back and forth between us, we eventually came up with what we agree is probably the best shock absorber currently available for the RD07 and RD07A.

Due to the changes in components over Nitrons’ existing range of 40mm shock absorbers, it has taken some time to get the upgraded parts specified, drawn, manufactured and tested – and we have only just today agreed on the pricing structure.

Still in development is the shock absorber for the RD04 as it was decided that we would have a completely separate product for the earlier Africa Twins, rather than try and make one shock fit all models with a huge amount of length adjustability.

So almost 12 months in development, we can finally introduce the range for the Africa Twin RD07 / 07A:

This is the entry level shock being offered for the Africa Twin, although by comparison to other manufacturers it punches way above its’ price.
It is NOT a basic emulsion shock, as offered by other manufacturers as their entry level shock, - it is a high performance gas monotube type damper where the gas is separated from the oil by a piston.

This is what most riders will see as their choice of shock, as it offers separate rebound and compression adjustment with a remote canister, offering superb performance.

This is the top of the range shock absorber for the Africa Twin for those riders who don’t want to compromise, and demand the best available for their bike.

All of the Nitron shock absorbers have the facility to manually adjust the Preload using a supplied C-spanner, but for those who regularly ride with a pillion, luggage, or mix their riding between road and off-road having the chance to adjust via a Remote Preload Adjuster in a matter of seconds is a pre-requisite.

The Hydraulic Preload Adjuster can be specified as an option on any of the NTR shock absorbers.

As you can see in the posts above, Paul-S has agreed to run one of the NTR Xtreme shock absorbers with the optional Hydraulic Preload Adjuster. Those of you that know Paul will agree that he is probably one of the best riders to do an accurate and critical evaluation of the shock, putting it to extreme test both on and off road.

Paul will continue to evaluate the NTR Xtreme shock absorber over the coming months - so please bookmark this thread to see his updates and ongoing feedback.

We have received lots of questions regarding these shocks as quite a few of you were aware that we were developing this range – and so we asked Nitron to respond to some of the questions by putting together a FAQ sheet:

Nitron Suspension – FAQs

This FAQ summary is in response to questions that have been asked, regarding the existing NTR Sport, Race, and Track 40mm Shock Absorbers, and the newly developed NTR Sport+, Pro, and Xtreme 46mm shock absorbers.
  • What are the main benefits of having a 46mm shock over a 40mm shock?
Having a greater volume lowers the internal pressure resulting in improved damping 'response' and improved contact between tyre and road.
On the large Dual Sport bikes, having an increased volume of oil in the shock also lowers its’ operating temperature, and therefore maintains optimum performance.
  • What are the main differences?
The Sport+, Pro, and Xtreme shocks have a larger 46mm diameter piston and a rod diameter of 16mm including thread for increased strength and performance.

The spring has a greater internal diameter of 60mm.
  • Can I still buy a 40mm shock for my Dual Sport bike?
The 40mm Sport, Track, and Race shocks are still available for some Dual Sport bikes, however we are upgrading those that we feel will most benefit to 46mm throughout 2013.

40mm are of course still incredible upgrades; however with the advent of the 46mm in racing we are looking to enhance the dual sport bikes even further with this technology.
  • Is the Sport+ shock absorber an emulsion type shock?
No, Nitron do not make an emulsion type shock.

The NTR Sport+ shock is a high performance gas monotube type damper where the gas is separated from the oil by a piston.
  • What are the benefits of having a separate compression/rebound canister – and if I just ride normal roads do I need this?
The main benefit of having a remote reservoir type shock is the ability to adjust compression and rebound damping independently of each other allowing you to really fine tune the setup to your particular riding style/type.

The larger volume of gas found in a remote reservoir shock is also of benefit when the shock sees prolonged and hard use such as in off road and competition use ensuring damping remains consistent and virtually eliminating fade.

For general road use the NTR Sport+ shock is normally recommended as it offers a simpler setup of the motorcycle with a damping adjuster that controls both rebound and compression to a set ratio.

The NTR Sport+ shock shares many of the same features as the 2 way Pro and 3 way Xtreme shocks but is perhaps more of an appealing proposition for those seeking ease of use whilst still benefiting from excellent fade resistance and ultra-low friction.
  • I understand that Nitron build shocks for each individual customer – does this just involve a spring change or are other components altered for each rider?
In most cases the main change will be to the spring rate and preload setting and sometimes an alteration to the damping settings, the range of damping is very wide and can work with a range of springs (within reason). For much heavier/lighter than average riders or those where a specific requirement such as mainly off road or competition use is employed different valving/piston type may be used.
  • Can you supply a shock if my bike is lowered?
We can supply shocks to almost any length within reason and where possible will include ride height adjustment so that the shock can be returned to standard length for example. For lowering purposes we would normally recommend a maximum reduction in seat height of around 30mm and also suggest that the front end of the bike receives similar modification to ensure the correct geometry of the bike is retained as far as possible.
  • Do Nitron shocks offer any adjustability in the fitted length of shock?
Yes – all of our Dual Sport shocks come with ride height adjustment as standard.

Custom length shocks are also an option we can offer at no extra cost.
  • How long will my order take to arrive?
All shocks are built on an individual basis to suit the rider’s weight and type of riding and the typical lead time is around 7-10 working days from the order being placed.
  • Can Nitron shocks be serviced, and if so how often do they need servicing?
Nitron warrant all its products and accessories against design and material defect for a period of 1 year from date of purchase.

Nitron shocks have been designed and built to provide many years of exceptional performance, however it is recommended that they are serviced by a Nitron approved service centre according to the individual schedule received with the shock. It is recommended that every 12,000 – 18,000 miles the shocks are assessed and serviced.

Uniquely, Nitron offer a rolling 12 month parts and labour warranty on all shocks that are serviced by an approved centre.

I personally run an Ohlins in my RD07A, and a Sachs in my RD04 – and just to give you an idea of how I rate these shock absorbers, I will be swapping out my Ohlins unit for an NTR Xtreme.

After spending plenty of time at the Nitron factory and seeing the attention to detail and the quality of components and machine work that goes into the shocks – I have no problem in stating that I personally think the Nitron 46mm shock absorbers are at the top of the league table as far as quality, components, performance, and service goes.

If any of you have any further questions, please ask here, or I’m more than happy to talk to you if you want to contact me directly at Rugged Roads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
ah excellent great see them out and after seeing few lads sports bikes witht hese they certainly look better built than the wilbers i was sued to

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is an adjustment to allow the shock length to be extended, but by how much is the maximum extension? There is also a pre-load adjustment that will also increase ride height, what is the variation + and - from the standard setting on this?

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
The shocks have 7mm of additional length adjustment - IIRC this will give you nearly an inch of additional ride height. Obviously as each shock is built to order you can specify a longer or shorter shock length to suit your own preferences, if the standard length isn't what you want.

The total Preload Adjustment is 10mm.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Excellent review and follow up... Thanks for the information.

My bikes shock has definitely seen better days thats for sure. I will have a look at these and the prices.

Can you tell me, are all the components of the shocks made in the UK from UK materiels or are some of them out sourced from places like China to keep costs down?

Nice to see they are based just 30mins away from me, would they service the shock direct at the factory (for me it would be easier to just take it up there in person)

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Excellent review and follow up... Thanks for the information.

My bikes shock has definitely seen better days thats for sure. I will have a look at these and the prices.

Can you tell me, are all the components of the shocks made in the UK from UK materiels or are some of them out sourced from places like China to keep costs down?

Nice to see they are based just 30mins away from me, would they service the shock direct at the factory (for me it would be easier to just take it up there in person)
Direct response back from Nitron:

"Almost all of our parts are UK sourced and machined, however there are of course inevitable times where either schedule or availability becomes an issue and we have to source material from outside of the UK, working with suppliers in Europe and beyond.

However all our assembly and design is always based 100% in the UK. We believe in building British and support this as much as possible.

Hope this honest answer helps.
"

And in answer to having the shock serviced - yes of course you can take it there yourself - if you call beforehand you'll probably get shown around the assembly rooms so you can see how they build / service the shocks :thumbleft:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts