Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post and I'm hoping someone might help. I've got a '99 NX650 that, up until now, has been running really well. I recently stripped all the panels and fuel tank for a bit of winter maint/paint. Once back together it started on the first press (well almost) and I took it out for 5 mins when I got back non of the electrics were working at all (no lights, neutral light, etc) although it was still running. I stopped it with the key and then tried to restart and nothing at all. I've checked the continuity of the ign switch and the main fuse (20A), other than that I've had a look at most of the wires and connections but can't find anything, and still no electrics. Any ideas as am completely stumped at the mo. Cheers J (oh I've also checked and charged the battery and it's all good reading just over 11V).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a similiar issue with one once and it was the earth to the chassis broken off ..... if the battery has power and its still got power at the ign switch I guess it has to be an earth ....... well maybe

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
11v after charging sounds like the battery's had it. Mine did that a few years ago and it had shorted a cell. Caused all kinds of weirdness on the bike, though it still ran.

If there's really nothing at all, not even lights, and it was still running before you turned it off, I'd be very tempted to have another look at that main fuse (the one near the battery, right?) because there's not an awful lot of stuff that can go wrong while still having a running bike. Check for corrosion in the fuse holder too, mine was a mess when this happened and it was as much the holder being knackered as it was the fuse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the quick response. I'm away for a couple of days but when I get back I'll try swapping the battery from my other bike and try cleaning the contacts on the fuse holder. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers again. J

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope that works, however I had a similar problem on my dommie. It was a loose connector on the main 'live' 12+ supply to the ignition. To gain access I had to remove the lower left hand fairing beneath the handlebars. In there is part of the wiring loom, it was the main 12+ supply to the ignition. The only possible reason I could see was possible chaffing when turning the handlebars. Once fixed the problem hasn't recurred. Good luck futterling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I think it's going to be something like that although just going to change the battery and cx the fuse holder again to rule it out. Dagles did you have to unwrap the wires and then found the 12+ supply wire or was it the one on its own that goes to the ign switch?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the information. Slightly embarrassed. Took the bike apart and took the loom apart checked it a various places and followed it up to a small fuse box I didn't know existed (under the LH instrument panel) and the IGN fuse had blown!! All sorted now so will probably do the suspension now I've got the back end apart. Thanks again. J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts