Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening all,

Ive been having an intermittent electrical for a couple of months now on my rd07a - nothing happens when i turn the ign on.

i managed to get it working somehow and covered 200 miles with it working fine, then yesterday i went to start her and nothing happened. after a bit of wiggling and banging the lights came on (clock flashing as it reset it all) turned her over and then she died again - sprayed some wd40 over the main fuse(nearside panel) and she worked...went to work yesterday and today without any problems

Tonight however the problem is back. Just tried to leave work and nothing at all happens... not even the alarm beep when i press the key fob – tried wiggling, tried wd40 ing, cant open her up this evening as there is no light…….. any ideas????

I am thinking:

1 - Main fuse or holder (starter solenoid)

2 - Rectifier?

Any other thoughts or back up info please?
- :confused::confused::confused:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Battery cable loose or ignition switch FUBARd?

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
I'd start with the really simple stuff - is the earth cable ok?

Can you use a multimeter? I would visually check connections and use wd40 on all plugs and run through as much as I can - take it from there?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I agree with both the above Simple things first, Battery connections, this would stop the alarm from working .
Ignition switch, if this was faulty it would stop the ignition turning on, but it would not stop the alarm fob from working.

·
Registered
Honda XRV 750 RD07 AFRICA TWIN 1995
82 Posts
Had simlar problem and it turned out to be loose battery connection, best check all simple things first!!

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
I had a similar fault on my RD07a it was a broken wire in the ignition loom, might be worth a try.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Happened to me.

A previous owner had inserted an electrical device to a cable and the connector was loose.

So I'd suggest something loose. Could be something obvious but could also be an as yet un-noticed extra, particularly if the previous owner removed it before selling the bike (I just found masking tape on a big red lead under the ignition).

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
my rd04 did the same thing, until eventually the electrics packed up totally - turned out to be corroded wiring in a connector block between the ignition and ................. somewhere else :confused:

Anyway - cut back to good wiring and new connectors and all good.

But could be faulty ignition switch or loose wire.

Good luck.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Morning all - thanks for all your useful comments and suggestions...

Ive been at it since the early hours of this morning trying to find the demon - but have given up - i think its a faulty starter solenoid as i got it running, but then when i played with the fuse holder(which is stuck completely- prob corroded up) it cut out and wouldn’t re start...

so - i am currenlty waiting for the rac, so i hope they can drop me off at the local bike garage where they will sort it out for good - ill keep you posted...

·
where next?
508 Posts
I had a problem related to the starter solenoid last year. When I looked at it, I found that the red plug that attaches to the top of the solenoid had gone rotten and partially disolved. The top of the solenoid is like a cup with 4 pins in it. The disolved bits of red plug and green copper-type corrosion just sit in the 'cup' (because it can't go anywhere else) and caused problems. The red plug is unobtainable unless you buy a whole new loom so I replaced it with 4 individual shielded crimp-on connectors and packed loads of silicon grease around it all to keep out moisture and it's been fine since. That was on my older bike and when I discovered it, I checked my newer bike and found that it was already showing very early signs of the same problem so now I check and clean it regularly as a preventive measure.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well - update.... and success!!!

i have the same symptom as 1gear1bike....

here is a picture of the melted red connector block whcih had fused the wires together and a mini meltdown had occured..

think ill find a 2nd hand connector block (as i dont think i can buy one new as 1gear1bike said) and splice in a new section of wire...with lots of silicone... the RAC have stripped back the burned wires and re insulated using ins tape...
job for this weekend then....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cheers guys...

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does anyone know where i might find a new starter solenoid, with the red fuse cover thingy...?? ive seen some on the Bay from a CBR600 which look to be the same? anyone know if tihs is a standad part?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that it's a fairly standard part.

£49 from David Silver's (for the Transalp) -

David Silver Spares - XL650V4 TRANSALP 2004 Starter solenoid

Have you tried ZSF, to confirm the part number?

Honda Motorbike Parts

All you need is the VIN code to get all the correct fiches.

Or £35.71 from Wemoto -

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/XRV_750_X_Y_RD07_Africa_Twin/99-03/picture/Starter_Solenoid/

Which appears to be a common part for a LOT of hondas.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Lutin - i think the red connector is part of the wiring loom - Wemots do the solenoid for £35.00...

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Yep, I think you are right about the connector. So, either a gash loom off a scrapper or maybe have a look at the Vehicle Wiring Products or Pole Volt web-sites for just the connector -

Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts.

Auto Electrical Components, Parts and Accessories for Trade and DIY: Polevolt Ltd

In fact I think the one you want is the MCF4 on this page -

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Mulitple_Connectors.html

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THANKS lUTIN FOR YOUR HELP - I THINK ITS A SPECIFIC HONDA PART FOR MOST BIKE - I AM 99% SURE THAT CBR600 ONE IS THE SAME -

CHEERS.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The red connector is part of the wiring loom. The attached pics are from a spare complete loom I have, as is the solenoid. It was gonna go on ebay in a month or two when I get back from a trip, but if you are interested PM me.

Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it is pretty much a generic Honda Part, I've got a VFR800 one on mine, which I happend to have about the garage.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
If the RD04 and RD07 part is the same come bastardise the zebra while I'm not using her. Give me it back when you get sorted. You have a month or so.

Serious offer. It is unused until my knee is stronger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts