Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping someone could help with a braking issue (front) on my 1991 AT RD04. I've rebuilt the calipers and fitted the master cylinder repair kit, bled the brakes and fitted new pads but there's absolutely no build up of pressure at the brake lever. A couple of times I've managed a very slight build up but not enough to prevent me from rolling the bike forward and it hasn't lasted. I'm thinking my next move should be either a new master cylinder or braided hose lines. The bike has only done 21,000 miles but has been sitting for several years. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think its just an air block, I would look in fluid reservoir and lightly press the brake lever just a small amount see if it realises any air i did this a few times and managed to then bleed brakes as normal. Also tap the lines it may move the trapped air. Good luck

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
agree with EEN, when im without my twin bleeder, i take out the bleed screw on 1 caliper, wait til the fluid comes out (TAPPING BRAKE LINE PRETTY HARD, while watching the bubbles come up in the master cylinder) Replace the screw then repeat on the other side. when im happy the calipers are full go on to bleeding them as normal. Got bike woes at the mo' wish it was just brakes.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try clamping the brake hose quite close to the top and pump the lever, short strokes, and you should get some pressure. Once you get pressure then open up to the caliper.
Another way is to reverse bleed using a syringe and pumping brake fluid from the caliper nipple.

Always use new fluid, and keep the containers closed as brake fluid absorbs moisture

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could also try clamping the brake lever back to the throttle and leaving it overnight or longer. The air tends to move upwards into the master cylinder.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Get a big syringe ... pop it on one of the bleed nipples and empty the system inc the master cylinder. Pop new fluid in and push the fluid through till the master cylinder is full. Pull the fluid back through filling the master cylinder up as needed job done. I use to "iss about but now its so easy with the right kit ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts