Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

The plot thickens...

the bike has not been happy running on reserve. When i had the tank off i checked the flow on "on" and "res" with plenty of fuel and loads of fuel came out on both settings.

im moving house to ilfracombe and the bike is going on the truck so i need to put it on with it at reserve. I have just drained the fuel in the "on" position so that i would be at the point of "res" kicking in. As ive been aware that the running on reserve aint been too good i turned the tap to the "res" position to see how the flow was. It was barely a dribble!!

How can this be? does anyone know what i should check. the only thing i can think of is the tap indicator is on in the wrong way so that res is actually on but it only goes on one way???? heeeeeelp pleeeeeeease..

(and england are a bunch of over paid tarts.)

·
Registered
485 Posts
1.take out the filter in the tank & clean it ( lower part obviously)
2.Take out the petcock & get some air forced through it- sometimes they get gunked up
3.ensure tap indicator is on right way- do a search for your vehichle type 03/04/07??- there was a post recentlyn about te positions

let us know how you get on:thumb:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cheers bud..the tap only goes on one way..

will have a look into the other things but it'll have to wait untill after ive moved now..

ta

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is your tap like most others with a tall plastic pipe and a short plastic pipe? I don't know of your particular type but many are like this. When set to '0N' the fuel delivers from the tall pipe and on 'RESERVE' the short pipe. You could have the pipes in the wrong holes or one or both pipes missing. These pipes sometimes also act as filters in themselves. This would account for no reserve if your tap is like most are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mines a 2001. i guess that would make sense........thanks again

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
When the tank is full it does not matter where the tap is positioned as the fuel can enter the main feed, when low on fuel the reserve allows fuel to enter the tap lower down.
This will sometimes become blocked by rust and other debris suspended in the fuel. Drain the tank and remove the tap and clean it and the gauze out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts